Nov 23, 2007, 06:33 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Discussion

KF Delkan..Plan/Pics/Vid

Hi fella's, here's the KF Delkan. A joint effort between myself and Dekan. Definately not a new shape but it has a twist, a KF Foil ( KF2 foil ) or to some, Ralph, and the only verticals are 4 small wedges. I would just like to Thank the Principles first if I could .....

Dickaroo...The K in the KF who created this Foil many years ago ( I still reckon you have a bit of Aussie in you Dick )

Toni65X55... A fellow Colonial Boy from the Frozen North of Canada who intoduced us all to the KF Foil

GPW....Yes that's right, from GPW Fame, who inspired the Delkan with his Tail less B2 design.

Dekan... who started the ball rolling with a Delta shape and I just run with it. The Co conspiritore in the design

Ok, the Delkan is all 9mm EPP, including the wedges. A Basic Flat design with a 50% step on top to make up the KF Foil. Easy to cut out and make. I have built 2, one powered by a Strongmotor ELE C20 with a 4025 prop and a 2000kv motor with a 5 X3 prop from UH...... http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5428
both powered by 800mah 3 cell pack.

It is definately not for new flyers

Wing Span is 22inchs
Length is 18inchs... Wing Chord is 15 1/2 inchs
Weight is approx 5 1/8 ozs WO/batt
KF Step is a Top step of 50%
Wedges are 3/4" X 3/4 " of 9mm EPP.
CG approx 7 inchs from nose
Servo's .. 2 X 9grm
BATT USED...800MAH 3 CELL
Spars... Flat Bamboo ( Adjust to suit your motor /prop combo)
The motor has a little right thrust and down thrust as well.

Below are a few pics and video and a rough PDF plan. Its a basic simple agile flyer that doesn't take up much room in the car or work shed and being EPP has that bang Factor. Not being able to get FFF in OZ I reckon it would fly fine with FFF as well. All comments are welcome, so give it a try if it takes your fancy.

DELKAN UPDATE 10/7/09 Now FLAT PLATE In Post 128 you can now Fly the Delkan with a Removable Fin or Removable Wedges. The Choice is yours. The CG for the Flat Plate Delkan is 6 inchs from nose. Video is below. So are Pics and Plan for Removable Fin Wedges.

Video.. A newer one will be shot shortly
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774738

The New Video
The KF Delkan (1 min 41 sec)

2009 Video
Delkan (1 min 11 sec)

Flat Plate Delkan. You can use a Fin or just use wedges.
Delkan2 (1 min 53 sec)

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at The Delkan

Regards B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Jul 10, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
COOL !!! Thanks Box!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 23, 2007, 06:52 AM
Winging it Ò>
Box,

The video is impressive, looks really good in the air!! It also looks like a very simple plane to build. Nice job!

How is the slower speed flight and handling?
Nov 23, 2007, 07:03 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Thanks GPW and Leadfeather for your kind comments. Lead, its definately not a walking pace flyer but its not too bad. Doesnt get the wobbles etc at a slower pace. Since it is only 22 inchs span it does need a little speed. Probably if it was a little bigger the wing loading would be lower and you could slow it right down but for something simple that you can throw in the air and have fun with it flies well.

B x
Nov 23, 2007, 07:21 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
I can't claim too much, apart from provideing some info on Deltas which I have been collecting for several years by studing models and plans.

Having flown several different Deltas, the 22" span is a handy size.... not too small to fly well and not to big for the average size sheet of Epp.

The main features with this model is the KF airfoil and the wedge winglets.
The swept forward elevons should help the roll rate
Nov 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Dekan........I can't claim too much, apart from provideing some info on Deltas which I have been collecting for several years by studing models and plans.

Its got to start somewhere and well, you started the ball rolling the info you provided was the catalyst my friend. So in for a penny in for a pound

B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Nov 23, 2007 at 12:59 PM.
Nov 23, 2007, 07:38 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
First let me say something to all the real modelers out there about this so-called "KF" airfoil... (Sorry...couldn't resist.)

Seriously, Box, that looks awesome and flies fantastic! Makes me wish I had some EPP. Nice work!

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Nov 23, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Nov 23, 2007, 09:24 AM
My plans are in my blog
Very nice, Box. I like the quasi-Van Halen guitar paint job.
Nov 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Box, as one Colonial (cannon fodder type) to another, let me say; You did an outstanding job on this neat little plane.

Tony
Nov 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
THANKS FOR THE KIND COMMENTS FELLA'S.

Hey Tup I reckon it would work with FFF if you got some. EPP seems to be my main fare now as Cell88 is getting hard to find in Oz.

Rusty your showing your age ( Van Halen). My Dad told me about them. hahahahahahaha.

Your right about the Cannon fodder Toni . Thanks for the heads up on the KF

B x
Nov 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
I may to have to use Cf reinforement I can't find any bamboo long enough.... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newreply.php#
Frown
Nov 24, 2007, 06:41 AM
My plans are in my blog
Box... To clarify, I perfer the "older" version of VH, with David Lee Roth as the singer. Great stuff. Grab your dad's records (Did he say 'records'? Whats a record? Can it work it on my cd player? ) and give it a go.
Nov 24, 2007, 07:32 AM
gpw
gpw
Nothing like that "old school tone"...scratch , hiss, pop...
We've got lots of old records ... Schmaybe I can become a hip hop star...Scratchmaster gpw...

Box , got my EPP, ready to make one of these ...sorta' like a Pic on a diet ...hahahahaha
Nov 24, 2007, 07:33 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Hahahahahahaha........Yer kill'n me Rusty, still have a couple of boxes of LP's and 45's down stairs. But don't have anything to play them on.

Anyhooooo, talking about LP's, I have been cutting a an LP size shape out tonight to play with over the next couple of days I have off from work. The KF foil has me intriged so, hey, I'll see where it leads me. Have read in your thread about the rise in postage over their. . It definately sucks. Someone is benfiting from it and its definately not the consumer.
All the Best

I think my Mum has a turntable, she's 84, wonder if she would let me use it. The stylus is only used to Nat King Cole and Perry Como, it would probably throw the towel in with the likes of Led Zepplin, Van halen etc" being played on it

I think you will like the Delkan GPW Your right it does look like a pick.

B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Nov 24, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
Nov 24, 2007, 07:48 AM
gpw
gpw
But much Cooler as just a wing Great job Box!!! It's the bees'...

Quick Reply