Mar 16, 2008, 10:41 PM
Nice installation!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
from downunder Downunder
Very neat, Pat. Glad you didn't let the magic smoke out!
Mar 17, 2008, 12:15 AM
Judging by one of your previous pictures, that's a serious kerpeller you've got on her. Very neat work indeed.
Last edited by jeepers1940; Mar 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Mar 17, 2008, 12:22 AM
Grumpa Tom
purdy dang nice!
Mar 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Got the hardware right, now time to debug the software... I'm programming a little teeny computer to run the boat on autopilot while on display...
Mar 17, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yacht Captain
OK, spill the beans.
Where did you get an auto pilot from?
How much does it control? just the helm or does it do more?
Will it run circles or again, does it do more?
In case you haven't got it, I, and probably a few others, am very interested in your last post.
Please tell us more.
Mar 17, 2008, 10:11 PM
Software!!!
Mar 17, 2008, 10:21 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Don't forget the GPS.
Mar 18, 2008, 07:25 AM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Sorry, can't just BUY an autopilot, some assembly required! And as I mentioned above, it just exercises functions while the boat is on display-- it's a not a wandering robot (but you COULD do that...).

I've talked about these little computers before- starting at about $30 at www.parallax.com , and on up... I'm using the cheapest one here because the job is so simple-- a "BS1".

To use them, you need to know your wires and have some programming experience, and having a 'scope helps in debugging. But if you get one of their packages and follow along with the examples, you can learn everything you need.

In this case, the computer pretends to be a receiver, and just sends out a programmed set of pulses to the various components, turning lights on and off, tooting the horn, and wagging the rudder.
Mar 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
Yacht Captain
So if i read it right, it will do its little thing while on the stand, you are not planning to let it run around the pond on its own (how I misread the earlier post). Never the less thats still very impressive and a very cool link.
Mar 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Boy! I will hate to see this this build end. It seemed like just yesterday you were laminating ribs, and now you are so close to completing this gem.

What a great build thread. Thank you Pat!!
Mar 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP

Now, you didn't think...

... that I'd leave those electronics out in the open, did you?

Made nice little "beauty covers" for each module, and labeled them too.
Sure I have a P-Touch... but why use that when you can photo-etch brass plaques?

Was a nice touch for the "builder's plate" too.

PM
Mar 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP

A little color...

Woodland Scenics has a neat line of G scale figures... using them to add a little life to the "boat yard".
Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 26, 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Mar 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
Grumpa Tom
Way...way cool!!

What type of gizmo do you have to etch those brass plaques? That is a really neat touch.
Mar 26, 2008, 05:36 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
Thx Tom.
The plaques were done same as the stack's Ford logo... just etched half way through. Then paint, and sand & polish the raised parts.

Quick Reply