Nov 19, 2007, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radical RC Micro Stick - servos

I am building a Micro Stick at the moment and trying to think a few steps ahead and have only built a couple of planes.

So far I have used Hitec HS 50s in my planes and tried to mount them so that my .032 wire runs basically parallel with the bottom of the fuse - in other words the height off the bottom of the fuse at the servo end is what I end up with at the elevator end with as close as I can get to right angles at each end.

It looks as though with a Micro stick the wire would have to slope to the elevator if the HS 50 is taped or glued to the side of the fuse - is this the way to go or should I be looking for a smaller servo with less height. Other thought was to mount the servo upside down so that the arm is just off the bottom of the fuse - this would of course mean not being able to get a screwdriver in to tighten the servo arm when I was happy with the set up.

TD01
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

servo mounting..

HS-50s will work fine..all it requires is gluing servo to the fuse sides & floor,I wrap the servo in a tiny piece of masking tape first,run the wire back and connect.If its not perfectly parallel to the fuse floor,no prob.You can save weight by making a Z-bend near the servo for adjusting length.This way eliminates EZ-connectors...nothing to come loose & less weight.You will like the micro..I've built 3 of 'em...
Last edited by SKYPILEIT; Nov 19, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Nov 19, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Skypileit for reply - I am in Australia and have a small collection of TD01s so want to try one of those with this plane.

Still a bit confused on the z bend - my z pliers make a neat but fairly small z - are you talking about creating your own z with an ordinary pair of pliers - this would have another benefit here in that the piano wire would then begin to run more in a horizontal fashion rather than on the slope that I first mentioned - the slope from top of the HS50 to the control horn looks like being about 1/2 inch which doesn't look at all right over such a short distance OR are you saying that 1/2 inch slope is ok - no one will see inside the plane but I was thinking more of any strain this might put on the smooth operation of the servo? Normally I have been putting the small Z created with z pliers at the servo end and a Du-bro micro clevis at the elevator end.

TD01
Nov 19, 2007, 07:44 PM
Check my blog-updated
The angle won't be a problem in the micro stick. I would suggest the Du-bro micro clevis at the servo ends, it won't be as easy to install at the control horn.
Nov 19, 2007, 08:17 PM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

Z bends..

Yes,I used an ordinary Z-bend tool....& then both ends are simply bent with needlenose pliers to make a tight U-shape to pass thru the servo or control horn hole.The slight angle of the control wire from servo to elevator is insignificant.The Z portion is then tweaked slightly(with pliers)to increase or shorten the wire for proper final length.
Last edited by SKYPILEIT; Nov 19, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Nov 19, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
thank you both for the above replies - you've given me plenty of ideas to try.

TD01

Quick Reply