Dec 12, 2007, 09:04 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemus
Whoa! You might want to use more than foam for your next Pitts!
Nah! She'll hold up...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2007, 10:52 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Thread OP
Beemus, great looking build! I can hardly wait to see her fly.

Tony
Dec 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
The Dude Abides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Beemus, great looking build! I can hardly wait to see her fly.

Tony
Thanks Tony, but they were your plans! And that made things easy. I am gonna save my pennies and get the gear Tup reccomended as soon as possible. Big Snow headed our way for the next four days!!!!
Stay warm...Beemus
Dec 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
The Dude Abides
Do any of you fellas think a GWS 2208 brushless motor will power the pitts?

I bought a GWS p-38 a year ago and decided to see if I can use the stock motors in other things and just put the P-38 on the back burner (having too much fun with scratch building!).

My weak point in this hobby is the motor set-up. Any suggestions on props would also be appreciated.

Tuppertn, I haven't forgotten about the 37 dollar combo either, just trying to make the most out of what I have hanging around....Beemus
Dec 16, 2007, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Do any of you fellas think a GWS 2208 brushless motor will power the pitts?

I bought a GWS p-38 a year ago and decided to see if I can use the stock motors in other things and just put the P-38 on the back burner (having too much fun with scratch building!).

My weak point in this hobby is the motor set-up. Any suggestions on props would also be appreciated.

Tuppertn, I haven't forgotten about the 37 dollar combo either, just trying to make the most out of what I have hanging around....Beemus
Heck, I don't blame you one bit. Inuitive improvisation is the secret of genius.

It looks like the GWS 2208 will be a good motor. I can only find one version, a 1050kV, on GWS's site. They say it's good for 21oz of thrust at 9.5A with a 9050HD on 3s, 23oz at 11.7A with a 1060HD. It's a touch tamer than the 1200kV Emax, but with some very nice efficiency. If your build comes in around 18oz it should give it plenty of spunk. Good choice!

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Dec 16, 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Dec 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
The Dude Abides
Thanks Kendall, I was just thinking, "AUW?" So I put some gear and the plane on a scale and it looks like I will be around 16-17 oz. when done, so I should be ok. Stock directions for the P-38 called for EP8043 props, any thoughts.....?
Dec 16, 2007, 04:36 PM
Wow. 16oz would be an outstandingly light build for this plane. Nice work! According to GWS an 8043 will get you 17oz at 7.6A. For a 16oz plane that's still better than a 1:1 ratio. But on GWS's site for the P-38 they say a 9050HD on the 2208, a 8043 if using the stock EPS300C. Personnally, I'd go with the 9050. More power, Mr. Scott! More power!

I do most of my flying around 1/2 throttle (if I can help it) burning about 6.5-7A with the Emax. Sounds like your 2208 can do much better.

kendall
Dec 31, 2007, 08:33 AM
The Dude Abides

Almost Ready!

Just another update on my Pitts. Its almost done, just waitin for a reciever and two servos.

After discussing options with the local hobby shop guy I found out that the gws 2208 motor I was going to use has a tendency burn up on 3s batteries and since I was spending Santa's money I opted for a new power system.
Rimfire 28 - 26 1000 kv
Electrifly SS-12 ESC and a 910 3s lipo
With an 8040 or 9050 prop we should be in business!

The total AUW is a hair over 16 oz. and she is solid (for a foamy)
I added the hatch cover with an air intake and the esc is moounted through the top for cooling. Warm air exhaust ports can be seen on either side of the fuse (plastic spoons).

I also added fishing line wires on the wings for some tension and strength.
Control rods are all connected, just waitin til mu birthday for the rest of thre parts....Peace.....Beemus
Dec 31, 2007, 10:02 AM
Whoa, yeah! Lookin' good, B!

The suspense must be torture. I hate having a nearly finished model waiting on parts. They just bait you when you look at them, "fly me...fly me..."

Just one thing about Rimfire motors in general if you haven't heard--they apparently test their motors with very short runs and end up overstating their current capacity by 15-25% so they can advertise higher numbers. Many a Rimfire has been toasted by propping up to the advertised current limit. Seems like most folks are looking at the comparable AXI and propping to that current limit instead. In your case that would be the AXI 2208/34 for 8A continuous vice Rimfire's advertised 12A for the 28-26-1000. Of course with good cooling like you have short 10-12A burst are probably okay. Just a suggestion.

kendall
Dec 31, 2007, 11:04 AM
The Dude Abides

Oh man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Whoa, yeah! Lookin' good, B!

The suspense must be torture. I hate having a nearly finished model waiting on parts. They just bait you when you look at them, "fly me...fly me..."

Just one thing about Rimfire motors in general if you haven't heard--they apparently test their motors with very short runs and end up overstating their current capacity by 15-25% so they can advertise higher numbers. Many a Rimfire has been toasted by propping up to the advertised current limit. Seems like most folks are looking at the comparable AXI and propping to that current limit instead. In your case that would be the AXI 2208/34 for 8A continuous vice Rimfire's advertised 12A for the 28-26-1000. Of course with good cooling like you have short 10-12A burst are probably okay. Just a suggestion.

kendall
Thanks for the advice! The whole electronic mis matching is what I suck at the most.

The guy at the shop said this was his set-up for a similar plane and it was his daily flyer. I usually am pretty conservative with my flying, so hopefully she will be fine.

By "burst" is that like giving it full throttle for a loop or something and then choping back on the throttle a little?
Dec 31, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Beemus, the Pitts looks beautiful (maiden! maiden! maiden!). Nice job.

Tony
Dec 31, 2007, 03:09 PM
Quote:
The guy at the shop said this was his set-up for a similar plane and it was his daily flyer. I usually am pretty conservative with my flying, so hopefully she will be fine.

By "burst" is that like giving it full throttle for a loop or something and then choping back on the throttle a little?
They're decent motors, it's just a difference in testing/marketing. You got it on the "burst" thing--generally less than 20 seconds. Of course, the higher your burst current the shorter you'll want maintain it. 5 seconds of 10-12A for a loop should be no problem at all.

FWIW, check out Scorpion motors next time. They're high quality for the money, come with all kinds of hardware and they're honest about their performance.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Dec 31, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
Jan 09, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hey kids, here are a couple of pics of my 75% pitts. Span is about 23". Going to start out with a self wound cdr type motor. Not sure of the AUW of the finished plane yet. It's been slow going, usual excusses, hopeing for maiden flight in a week or two. The assembled pic is of the parts just taped together, so I could sit at the bench and make airplane noises
Tony,thanks again for the great designs

Andy
Jan 09, 2008, 03:03 PM
Looks great, Miniman! Maiden! Maiden!

kendall
Jan 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Miniman, she's a real beauty. I'm itching to see 'er go. The Challenger is quite the flyer.

Tony

Quick Reply