Dec 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
Excellent battery comparo review Xrayted!! Now let's get that Quark airborne ASAP to see if indeed you will be recommending the E bay batts over the expensive stockers!?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Xrayted. Hope these could be the ones.
Dec 29, 2008, 06:08 PM

Quark parts longevity question..........

OK, I've had my Quark now for over a month and so far, so good, 3 or 4 packs a day! In fact, this thing is TOO good to be true! I mean, I'm getting paranoid, waiting for something to fail, but nothing does! So, I'd like to ask you fellow long term owners if and what part (other than due to crash induced abuse), have you had to replace??? I know these motors can't last forever and would think they'd be the first to go, or maybe the stock battery would be first to give up the ghost?
Dec 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05
OK, I've had my Quark now for over a month and so far, so good, 3 or 4 packs a day! In fact, this thing is TOO good to be true! I mean, I'm getting paranoid, waiting for something to fail, but nothing does! So, I'd like to ask you fellow long term owners if and what part (other than due to crash induced abuse), have you had to replace??? I know these motors can't last forever and would think they'd be the first to go, or maybe the stock battery would be first to give up the ghost?
Only 2 flybars in about 6 months........both my stupid fault
Im not so sure you can wear one of these things out.....at least they are pretty new so the oldest one out there is really only a year old or so and we need to find those owners.
Ask me what Ive done and how many parts I have purchased for my Walkera helis in the last year though
Dec 29, 2008, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Only 2 flybars in about 6 months........both my stupid fault
Im not so sure you can wear one of these things out.....at least they are pretty new so the oldest one out there is really only a year old or so and we need to find those owners.
Ask me what Ive done and how many parts I have purchased for my Walkera helis in the last year though
I HEAR that my friend!! I have yet to own a Walkera product, but being an EX-fan of Esky and Eflite coaxials kept me digging deep into the pockets and spending countless hours of frustration trying to keep them trimmed and flying up to my OCD standards! Being a perfectionist ain't fun..............but this Quark is darn near to perfection, IMO.
Dec 29, 2008, 07:24 PM
I abuse my little Quark for about a month or more. Daily, and up to four batteries a day.

Except once the tail unit (dropped down from the ceiling and landed exactly on the tail...) I only need blades from time to time if a wall or something hits the Quark

And even after this nasty tail-smash - it only took me about two minutes to repair, unbelievable.

If I compare it with my 4#3B and all the parts I bought, time and money I spent - but still after a few flights there's a new problem...

So honestly I can say that I'm more than happy with my Quark.
Dec 29, 2008, 07:40 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenstein
I abuse my little Quark for about a month or more. Daily, and up to four batteries a day.

Except once the tail unit (dropped down from the ceiling and landed exactly on the tail...) I only need blades from time to time if a wall or something hits the Quark

And even after this nasty tail-smash - it only took me about two minutes to repair, unbelievable.

If I compare it with my 4#3B and all the parts I bought, time and money I spent - but still after a few flights there's a new problem...

So honestly I can say that I'm more than happy with my Quark.
Its really funny when I break down the discussion in this thread vs the many others Im involved in. In my 4#3 and 4G3 threads and others its all about "has anyone solved or have this issue" or "why is my heli doing this" or this mod or that mod. Same thing for my Copter X's and all my coaxes.
This thread has no mods at all!! Just a bunch of guys showing simple things like what fuselage they figured out how to install on it and talking about how much they love the heli.
I dont remember one person in the entire thread that has ever said they bought the heli and didnt love it. Its really amazing when you think about it
Dec 29, 2008, 08:58 PM
Same thing in the German forum. The thread has become huge now, but actually there's not much to discuss - everyone is happy

So we share just our experiences or discuss if a looping is possible or not with the Quark

Actually I wanted to "pimp" my Quark during the holidays, but the light set I ordered didn't arrive. Also no canopies and the other parts available at my LHS to paint...

Fortunately I found some LEDs in my toolbox, so I decided to put it on the Quark.

Now I'm not that unhappy, sometimes less is more (who wants a flying christmas tree?).

I used a free AUX port of the receiver to get the power, some micro plugs so that I still can remove tail and canopy.
For the routing of the cables along the tail and the mount of the tail LED I simply used straws (what would I just do without kids in the house *g*?) that I painted black.

Unfortunately the pics are not so well and I was not able to take it in the dark, but you can imagine how great it looks now when Quarky flies around in the house in the evening

Dec 29, 2008, 09:06 PM
Closed Account
Very nice! I love the spot light in the nose. I think I may have to add one of those to mine soon.
Dec 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Very nice! I love the spot light in the nose. I think I may have to add one of those to mine soon.
put those fingers on the sticks ... let get some airborne/battery time info..
Dec 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
Closed Account

Battery info

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_:)
put those fingers on the sticks ... let get some airborne/battery time info..
Ask and ye shall receive

Not good though guys. First thing I noticed is that although these batts have the correct Hirobo plug, the leads are too short so its almost impossible to actually get the battery into the stock tray after you plug it in.

The heli took off pretty much like the stock batt but after 30 seconds it takes WOT to hover at eye level. Within 5 minutes I cant hover any higher than knee level and after 10 minutes the heli still has not hit LVC so its not a capacity or charge issue.

I bought two batteries so I tried the other and same results. Just to make sure it wasnt the heli I flew a couple of my other packs and all was back to normal again. These things just dont have any "umphh" to them and Im not even sure the claimed 8C rating is even correct......more like 1-3

Also I installed my tiny little micro antenna from Draganfly I posted about that is supposedly tuned for 72Mhz systems and its a bust as well. I have about 20 max foot range so it works great as long as I want to hover in the livingroom sitting on the couch. I tried extending it into all sorts of positions and even hang it out of the canopy and nada.

Oh well, theres about $70.00 worth of lesson learned for me this week

BATTERY UPDATE:

OK I contacted the E Bay seller about the batts because he has 100% pos feedback and no issues reported on these. He replied very quickly saying that they may need time to "come to life"
I have many helis and lipos and have never experienced this but it seems he is correct! I have charged a flew the packs about four times with bad results but my last flight was suddenly the way it should be. Im charging up again now and will report back with results and flight times.
Has anyone else had new lipos that needed to be jump started before or have I just been lucky with the 30-40 different ones I own?

FINAL EDIT UPDATE: After 9 cycles the batteries now are flyable but are very weak after only a couple of minutes. Resting them for 30 seconds every 2 minutes brings them back to life again but no one wants to have to fly this way. I do not recommend theses E bay batteries.
Last edited by Xrayted; Dec 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Dec 30, 2008, 12:06 AM

Love My Quark

Well I have 15 flights with no crashes so far. This thing flies like no micro heli I have ever owed. I cannot beleive how much money I have wasted on the other micros I have purchased. Hop up this, hop up that, adjust this and adjust that. They still flew like a bull in a china shop.

I'm using the Kong Power 22C 600mAh batteries and like them so much I've got more on order. They have tons of power. I have been cycling them with 5 minute flights for the first 5 or 6 uses then I will run them through the 80% rule which is 480mAh. Based on my calculations, these batteries will provide me a solid 10 minutes and should not trip the LVC.

My transmitter has a timer and I land immediately once my count down reaches 0. These batteries are just as strong at 6 minutes as the were when I first lifted off. At $19.99 each (www.readyheli.com), my battery testing is finished. Fantastic batteries!!!!!!!

It needed very little trim but I'm still fiddling with tail drift. If the canopy is off I nail the setting, but when the canopy goes back on the nose drifts to the right again. I'll get dialed in for sure.

I do have one question as the manual isn't really clear on it.

Since I have added a slightly heavier battery should I adjust the throttle curve up a bit? The manual says to adjust only if the hover point is above or below mid stick. Mine hovers at 50% throttle but it is only about 15" off the floor.

The manual doesn't exactly say how high the hover should be at 50% (mid stick) throttle. Is 15" normal or should it be waist high at mid stick? If I adjust the throttle curve up, how much does this eat up flight time?

Thanks in advance. I loving this puppy.

Glenn
Dec 30, 2008, 12:15 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkholl
Well I have 15 flights with no crashes so far. This thing flies like no micro heli I have ever owed. I cannot beleive how much money I have wasted on the other micros I have purchased. Hop up this, hop up that, adjust this and adjust that. They still flew like a bull in a china shop.

I'm using the Kong Power 22C 600mAh batteries and like them so much I've got more on order. They have tons of power. I have been cycling them with 5 minute flights for the first 5 or 6 uses then I will run them through the 80% rule which is 480mAh. Based on my calculations, these batteries will provide me a solid 10 minutes and should not trip the LVC.

My transmitter has a timer and I land immediately once my count down reaches 0. These batteries are just as strong at 6 minutes as the were when I first lifted off. At $19.99 each (www.readyheli.com), my battery testing is finished. Fantastic batteries!!!!!!!

It needed very little trim but I'm still fiddling with tail drift. If the canopy is off I nail the setting, but when the canopy goes back on the nose drifts to the right again. I'll get dialed in for sure.

I do have one question as the manual isn't really clear on it.

Since I have added a slightly heavier battery should I adjust the throttle curve up a bit? The manual says to adjust only if the hover point is above or below mid stick. Mine hovers at 50% throttle but it is only about 15" off the floor.

The manual doesn't exactly say how high the hover should be at 50% (mid stick) throttle. Is 15" normal or should it be waist high at mid stick? If I adjust the throttle curve up, how much does this eat up flight time?

Thanks in advance. I loving this puppy.

Glenn
Arent those Kongs just the best!!!! I use them in my 450's as well and they make great power all the way to the end as if they arent running down.

Ive run the throttle curve both low and high with mine and it seems to be a small difference, currently I have it set to high and just left it there.
Dec 30, 2008, 12:17 AM
Quote:
BATTERY UPDATE:

OK I contacted the E Bay seller about the batts because he has 100% pos feedback and no issues reported on these. He replied very quickly saying that they may need time to "come to life"
I have many helis and lipos and have never experienced this but it seems he is correct! I have charged a flew the packs about four times with bad results but my last flight was suddenly the way it should be. Im charging up again now and will report back with results and flight times.
Has anyone else had new lipos that needed to be jump started before or have I just been lucky with the 30-40 different ones I own?
Xrayted,

I had some Thunder Powers that behaved thay way. I was told not to fly them to 80% or hard for the first 5 - 10 flights to get them conditioned. I have not experienced it with any other lipo's since. Maybe it was because I have "conditioned" every LiPo I owned every since. Then again maybe its just snake oil advice from the manufacture. But it worked. I got the same flight time as before, but the power shotup quite a bit.

I have not seen this condition with these Kong Power batteries so far. But that could be because I have not laid the throttle to them yet. It has been slow and gentle flying so far.

Glenn
Dec 30, 2008, 12:19 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkholl
Xrayted,

I had some Thunder Powers that behaved thay way. I was told not to fly them to 80% or hard for the first 5 - 10 flights to get them conditioned. I have not experienced it with any other lipo's since. Maybe it was because I have "conditioned" every LiPo I owned every since. Then again maybe its just snake oil advice from the manufacture. But it worked. I got the same flight time as before, but the power shotup quite a bit.

I have not seen this condition with these Kong Power batteries so far. But that could be because I have not laid the throttle to them yet. It has been slow and gentle flying so far.

Glenn
First time for me with any lipo to do that to me. It was really weird because they werent just a little weak or short flight times but reeeaally bad and unflyable. Im about to do a final hover test on the E bay batts after 6 cycles and edit my post on them. Looks like 10+ minutes will be easily possible.

Quick Reply