Sep 03, 2010, 12:31 PM
A lot of people have described it that way. It's certainly what E-Flite / Blade set out to accomplish and I applaud them for having made the effort, but something was just a little off from the MSR experience and I can't pinpoint what it was ... maybe just the physics inherent in its larger mass. I'd be very curious to hear others' thoughts on this. It really could be that I've just gotten used to the Quark in this scale.

Why not fly the Quark in the church hall? Or an MSR? It really is a fun little heli and it can pirouette like nobody's business.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2010, 02:25 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
HEY - We just turned 500 pages on this thread! Wow!

I'd say "Cheers, and here's to 500 more ..." but not so sure these days ....
Sep 03, 2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprz View Post
A lot of people have described it that way. It's certainly what E-Flite / Blade set out to accomplish and I applaud them for having made the effort, but something was just a little off from the MSR experience and I can't pinpoint what it was ... maybe just the physics inherent in its larger mass. I'd be very curious to hear others' thoughts on this. It really could be that I've just gotten used to the Quark in this scale.

Why not fly the Quark in the church hall? Or an MSR? It really is a fun little heli and it can pirouette like nobody's business.
Actually I do fly all of them at church. I just like variety and a BNF 120SR would only set me back about $150.00 and that's our lesser Cannuck buck. But like you say, I might be sadly disappointed having flown the Quark for as long as I have.
Sep 03, 2010, 06:17 PM
Im stumped on an issue Im having with my Quark. When I spin up the whole heli vibrates so bad it looks like it is going into convulsions and the only thing I can think of is the flybar. I hit it the last crash but avent flown it since. I replaced the broken blade and went to fly tonight and when I started to power up it started jumping all over the place. I took the blades off and noticed my that I cant balance my flybar by hand like I used to. Know it always falls to the side with the mixing arm. All my linkages look fine. So any ideas or things I can do to eliminate what it might be.
Sep 03, 2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Actually I do fly all of them at church. I just like variety and a BNF 120SR would only set me back about $150.00 and that's our lesser Cannuck buck. But like you say, I might be sadly disappointed having flown the Quark for as long as I have.
I'll get back here early next week with a personal comparison of the 120SR and Quark. My tracking number says my new 120SR will be in my hands next Tuesday. I'm hoping that my experience will be a pleasant one but having owned a Quark now for almost a year, that will be a hard act to follow!
Sep 03, 2010, 06:56 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helikevin View Post
Im stumped on an issue Im having with my Quark. When I spin up the whole heli vibrates so bad it looks like it is going into convulsions and the only thing I can think of is the flybar. I hit it the last crash but avent flown it since. I replaced the broken blade and went to fly tonight and when I started to power up it started jumping all over the place. I took the blades off and noticed my that I cant balance my flybar by hand like I used to. Know it always falls to the side with the mixing arm. All my linkages look fine. So any ideas or things I can do to eliminate what it might be.
Check the see-saw part at the top of the main shaft that holds the stabilizer on. Mine was cracked in half under the bearing that holds it in place. Looked fine from a visual standpoint but spool ups caused lots of vibrations and shaking. I also had a cracked frame that didn't show itself unless I flexed it by hand.

Speaking of see-saws - I should probably order one from Augusto before they're all, well ... ?
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Sep 03, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Sep 03, 2010, 07:10 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbusa05 View Post
I'll get back here early next week with a personal comparison of the 120SR and Quark. My tracking number says my new 120SR will be in my hands next Tuesday. I'm hoping that my experience will be a pleasant one but having owned a Quark now for almost a year, that will be a hard act to follow!
Looking forward to your review. Looks like a nice heli but a comparison to the Quark would help put it in perspective.
Sep 03, 2010, 07:20 PM
Can't get enough

Rudder trim pot

I adjusted this according to the manual stating to adjust trim on pot and leave neutral on tx. I did that, but every time the tail starts drifting left, so I have to trim it on the tx to keep the tail straight. I have done this several times, but it always wants to drift that way. Is this a problem?
Sep 03, 2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Check the see-saw part at the top of the main shaft that holds the stabilizer on. Mine was cracked in half under the bearing that holds it in place. Looked fine from a visual standpoint but spool ups caused lots of vibrations and shaking. I also had a cracked frame that didn't show itself unless I flexed it by hand.

Speaking of see-saws - I should probably order one from Augusto before they're all, well ... ?

John
No cracks or anything out of the ordinary. It does feel like one half of the stabalizer is heavier then the other half. Im not sure how this is possible from a crash but Im sure of it. I will check it on a scale later. Figured this would be a good time to order some spare parts so I ordered the blade holder assembly,see-saw,and stabilizer. Has anyone tried the cnc head? Is it worth the $135?
Sep 03, 2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
HEY - We just turned 500 pages on this thread! Wow!

I'd say "Cheers, and here's to 500 more ..." but not so sure these days ....
We are more here for socializing anyway. Only like 10 pages are dedicated to problems
Sep 03, 2010, 07:31 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I adjusted this according to the manual stating to adjust trim on pot and leave neutral on tx. I did that, but every time the tail starts drifting left, so I have to trim it on the tx to keep the tail straight. I have done this several times, but it always wants to drift that way. Is this a problem?
The gyro is a strange thing on this heli. Some work great, some suck. I have two Quarks - one sucks and one sucks less.

I always have to use the trim on the transmitter - but not when I first start a flight. Usually after a minute or two I have to start adding right rudder trim. On the one that sucks less, usually a couple of clicks, every minute or so. On the one that sucks more .... I usually run out of available trim before the flight ends. I tried playing with that pot too with all kinds of results - none good.

To avoid adding the trim when the heli starts to spin you can land, shut off the heli, make sure the trim is back in the middle, power up the heli and fly some more. This appears to "reset" something in the gyro. Hirobo claims as "something" heats up in the gyro you may have to do this.

If there ever is a V2 this is one thing they need to fix ...
Sep 03, 2010, 07:40 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:
The gyro is a strange thing on this heli. Some work great, some suck. I have two Quarks - one sucks and one sucks less.

I always have to use the trim on the transmitter - but not when I first start a flight. Usually after a minute or two I have to start adding right rudder trim. On the one that sucks less, usually a couple of clicks, every minute or so. On the one that sucks more .... I usually run out of available trim before the flight ends. I tried playing with that pot too with all kinds of results - none good.

To avoid adding the trim when the heli starts to spin you can land, shut off the heli, make sure the trim is back in the middle, power up the heli and fly some more. This appears to "reset" something in the gyro. Hirobo claims as "something" heats up in the gyro you may have to do this.

If there ever is a V2 this is one thing they need to fix ...
That is exactly what happens to me lol It starts fine but a couple minutes it starts. I have alot of trim left on the tx though, so I am ok with it. Once I trim it it is awesome...but it still needs a little trim after too.
Sep 03, 2010, 07:51 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
Quote:
John
No cracks or anything out of the ordinary. It does feel like one half of the stabalizer is heavier then the other half. Im not sure how this is possible from a crash but Im sure of it. I will check it on a scale later. Figured this would be a good time to order some spare parts so I ordered the blade holder assembly,see-saw,and stabilizer. Has anyone tried the cnc head? Is it worth the $135?
Maybe one of the weights in the stabilizer flew out? I haven't tried that head - a little too expensive for me

Quote:
We are more here for socializing anyway. Only like 10 pages are dedicated to problems
You're right - 1000 should be right around the corner then !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
That is exactly what happens to me lol It starts fine but a couple minutes it starts. I have alot of trim left on the tx though, so I am ok with it. Once I trim it it is awesome...but it still needs a little trim after too.
Yea, it's a pain. I sent mine in to have it fixed and they returned it and said it was fine. I wonder if the SG does this ... ?
Sep 03, 2010, 08:41 PM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
Guys, whenever you use the trim tabs on your TX, make sure to set it to neutral before turning on heli or you would keep on chasing the rudder drift every flight until the trim tab reaches its limit.

This is one reason I prefer trimming the rudder on the unit instead of the TX because I tend to forget adjusting the trim back to neutral. It's also advisable to do this trimming of the unit when the heli has warmed up (don't do it on your first battery of the day). That is the best way to find the sweet spot.
Sep 03, 2010, 08:55 PM
Vote YES for Democracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclavina View Post
Guys, whenever you use the trim tabs on your TX, make sure to set it to neutral before turning on heli or you would keep on chasing the rudder drift every flight until the trim tab reaches its limit.

This is one reason I prefer trimming the rudder on the unit instead of the TX because I tend to forget adjusting the trim back to neutral. It's also advisable to do this trimming of the unit when the heli has warmed up (don't do it on your first battery of the day). That is the best way to find the sweet spot.
Good advice. Were you able to get yours to not drift or drift less?

Quick Reply