Apr 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm710
I feel kind of dumb saying this but I don't understand how to balance the tail blade. I put the allen wrench through the center and it hangs vertically, not horizontally like the pic shows. I guess I'm having a blonde moment haha.
I put a little piece of masking tape on the inside of the light end, toward the end.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclavina
I was lucky to be flying my Quark real low (about 6 inches from the ground) an hour ago when one of my repaired blades snapped. The Quark just dropped and stopped without getting any damage. I will never ever try putting repaired blades on my Quark again.
If you used epoxy, you must have skimped. I've never had a blade repaired with epoxy break in that spot again. Even if I hit something, it will break in a different place.
Apr 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
I feel kind of dumb saying this but I don't understand how to balance the tail blade. I put the allen wrench through the center and it hangs vertically, not horizontally like the pic shows. I guess I'm having a blonde moment haha.
Stick something through the hole and suspend it between the same thing you balance the main blades on. I dont use the hex wrench. I cut a small peice of round CF I had. You want it to be able to spin freely so you can see if one blade always falls lower thaan the other. If so put a little tape on the light blade until you can get the prop to balance out evenly.

You could stick some small stiff wire or anything through and then suspend the ends on soup cans if you want to balance it
Apr 15, 2009, 11:49 PM
DGF
DGF
Quote:
Donít use the hex wrench. A tail blade does not rotate freely on it. Use a round rod that is not too small. If the rod diameter is too small it is harder to balance.
Apr 16, 2009, 01:13 AM
Something else I dig about this heli. It's great for small spaces because of the stability. You can still do all the tricks and turns as other FP's, but you can get the same thrill in a smaller space due to the stability. Turn her at a 45 degree angle and instead of rocketing off 200 feet, she just corners in 6 feet space. Really great for me because I'm too lazy to drive to a field and want to fly near my house. I also have 18 mo old son so hard to leave home. I do have a big meadow nearby, I will definitely look forward to going there a few times to see what she can really do!!

Flew her in some wind this afternoon and I have to say it wasn't any worse than any of the other FP heli's I've had.

I was putting my quark stuff on my "heli shelf" in my home office and almost threw up looking at all my honey bee FP guts strewn about on the shelf........hundreds of hours, dollars, blood pressure increases. Not saying the HBFP is a bad heli, but I am saying that.............it is a major pain in the butt! On the HBFP thread everyone is always frustrated all the time except for 5% of the posters who are veterans and have been tinkering with there HBFP for years to get it perfect..........uh.................

Here's a vid of me flying in the living room. Crash at the end. This is the same thing I have to remember as with all my other heli's --- SMALL space = MORE CRASHES. Although I still think the heli is great for small spaces, the pilot must also not go crazy and try banking turns That crash cost me 2 main blades.

Hirobo Quark! Best FP heli for beginner and intermediate pilots (1 min 22 sec)
Last edited by theskyking; Apr 16, 2009 at 01:55 AM.
Apr 16, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the tail balancing tips. Now I just need to find a good piece of wire to use to balance it.
Apr 16, 2009, 07:35 AM
Great video. I use a cut up paper clip on the tail blades.
Also, find out what you did wrong on the e-poxyed blades as I too have never had them come apart even after crashes where it broke at a different part.
being able to epoxy the blades together is a big money saver.
Last edited by Wyatt450; Apr 16, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Apr 16, 2009, 08:30 AM
Cranky old fart

Quark II spotted!

The new, incredibly durable Quark II. No more foam blades!
http://www.growingtreetoys.com/produ...-animal-rescue

Apr 16, 2009, 01:09 PM
Would be nice if someone came out with a really strong light aftermarket skid. just broke mine. i was flying over asphalt though.

the battery i got from auction greg is awesome. much more power for a longer time than stock. Interestingly, this battery although heavier makes the heli perform better I think. The weight makes it more stable in the wind. I wonder if a bigger HBFP battery would be OK. I think at some point though you have to worry about burning up the motors. More weight and a stronger battery = more power needed to fly and more flying time --- both of these lead to more engine stress.

I've had so many great flights last 24 hours, I'm starting to get bored of flying and wish I cuold tinker more.....
Last edited by theskyking; Apr 16, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Apr 16, 2009, 01:12 PM
theskyking: I also had trouble getting the tail blade off. Take an exacto knife or other sharp blade. Look carefully for the seam where the blade assembly meets the rudder assembly (Its hard to see it without good light). Then insert the blade in the seam and apply a little pressure. It comes right off. If you grab the blade and pull, you could easily break something.
I ordered some airplane foam glue from an rc company. I'll let you know how well it works.
i was going to modify the looks of my Q (Airbrush lacquer red and other colors) but its become such a classic maybe I'll leave it stock.

PS I'm going to be selling one of my cx2's so I can buy a B400. If anyone knows a beginner that wants a good cheap used coax...
Apr 16, 2009, 01:28 PM
"I've had so many great flights..."
I hope that will be the case for me also. I'm waiting on new blades because being an artist, the first thing I did was neatly wrap the antenna around the batt cage and motor for optimum appearances.Then lost control on all the flights and broke all of my blades.
Apr 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgage
"I've had so many great flights..."
I hope that will be the case for me also. I'm waiting on new blades because being an artist, the first thing I did was neatly wrap the antenna around the batt cage and motor for optimum appearances.Then lost control on all the flights and broke all of my blades.
I've found the best control is by letting the antenna dangle ugly down the hole in the front of the heli. If it makes you feel any better though, you can't see it while flying! Too small!
Apr 16, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyking
Would be nice if someone came out with a really strong light aftermarket skid. just broke mine. i was flying over asphalt though.
Mario (MIA) makes one. Check here: http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/sto...=Coming%20Soon
Apr 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyking
Would be nice if someone came out with a really strong light aftermarket skid. just broke mine. i was flying over asphalt though...
What about these (scroll halfway down the page): http://www.micro-flight.com/SRB%20QUARK.htm

EDIT: Drats, someone beat me to it!
Apr 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
Has anyone used these MIA landing gear skids? Any comments? Price is right. What about battery hookup? Weight? Durability?

Quick Reply