May 21, 2002, 05:34 PM
Giddy up!
Thread OP

Throw away your S400 can motors...

There were some other threads in other forums starting to pop up about the new Mega's 16/15/x motors but I was surprised they didn't get more attention.

I bought a 16/15/5 from Ken @ Mega and tossed it on my DAW Extra the other day and flew it much more today. All I can say is WOW! I wanted a 4 turn but they were already spoken for so I took a 5 turn, I'm glad I did. Bench test's with 8 600ae's showed good promise. With a 5.5x4.5 prop (a prop I've used on my S400 motor for this plane) was comparable to a 7.2v S400, 8.8 amps and ~12000 rpm. But with a larger prop (MAS 7x4) it drew only 12 amps and ~10500 rpm (I think). This is finally the S400 BL replacement I've been looking for! With the smaller prop it acts like a S400 but with the larger one it kicks into overdrive. Mega rates the max amps @ 20 but I didn't need that much. At 12 amps I could still use the 600ae's. Speed & thrust was awsome. The little Extra never flew that fast nor had any vertical before, now vertical is very impressive (even after 3/4 of the pack is spent) and much faster than before. And the best part is DURATION, got over 6 minutes without blinking an eye (some throttle management but didn't give up much). I'm sure I could get 7-8 mintues with more throttle management. I'm back to flying my S400 ships thanks to this motor!

I crashed a few times on launch because of the torque, it took a little getting used to. I even speed stalled it trying to go vertical right after a launch and the plane slammed into the ground pretty much nose first. Not even close to bending the shaft, it seems to be a very tough little motor. Size & weight is just about exactly like a S400 can. I have 2 more on order!
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2002, 06:37 PM
Clinger, MAGA
What is the URL for mega motors?
May 21, 2002, 07:10 PM
Making Cuisinarts Fly!!!!
www.megamotorsusa.com
May 21, 2002, 07:15 PM
Sal C,

Thats what I was hoping to hear

I looked at the numbers on Pcalc and they looked
great, But I thought I would wait until I head some
real world numbers.

I want to run this in my Ryan Bearcat, I played around
with different gearboxes but wasn't tottaly happy.
the 16/15/5 with a 7x5apce looks to be the answer for
better vertical but not loosing any speed from the s400
and gaining some flight time

All this and it's the same wieght as the s400
This is exactly what I wanted

Scott
May 21, 2002, 07:20 PM
Giddy up!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy360
...All this and it's the same wieght as the s400
This is exactly what I wanted
You bet!

At 18 ozs it should rock the Ryan Bearcat. After adding an 8th cell and an almost 2 oz lead weight to the front of my Extra (for balancing without the landing gear) it's now at ~20 ozs. It's a little heavy at that weight but you'd never know it with this motor.
May 21, 2002, 07:33 PM
MKH
MKH
What's the shaft size on these little motors? Thanks for the reports.
MKH

Nevermind, I found it on another site, 3.2mm.
Last edited by MKH; May 21, 2002 at 08:58 PM.
May 21, 2002, 10:05 PM
Rehab is for quitters
Okay...but, how much are these motors??? And, what is their weight as compared to a regular 400?

Dave...
May 22, 2002, 10:25 AM
Giddy up!
Thread OP
MKH,
Yeah shaft size if 3.2mm (1/8").

Dave,
They are same physical size & weight of a S400. $79.99 from Mega, maybe can find slightly cheaper out around the vendors. So far I've found this to be a very tough motor. Think of all the S400 bent shafts you've had. At $8-10 a pop and the number of S400's I've gone through the $79 price tag is not bad.
May 22, 2002, 10:29 AM
MKH
MKH
Esprit has them for $75. Don't know what their shipping charges are.

MKH
May 22, 2002, 10:47 AM
gotta buy a new esc too tho....

I will save my pennies up and try one one of these days.

My wife...she just rolls her eyes

so many chioces...so little time...so little $$$

Eric
May 22, 2002, 10:47 AM
Serenity Now!
So, let me get this straight..................

The Mega 16/15/5 will be a direct replacement of an S400; meaning that the forward mounting screw holes will match exactly?

And the prop shaft is 2.3mm? (So I don't have to buy a new Graupner prop shaft adapter)

also......

If I understand correctly if I switch to one of these Mega motors I will need an ESC for a brushless motor. Is this is a correct assumption?

And, I can use my existing 8 cell 600AE packs?

What can I expect with a 6.5x4 prop?

Lastly,

What ESC do I need to get and how much are they?

I may retro fit my P-47 with one of these if the price is right.

Jeff
May 22, 2002, 11:44 AM
jbrundt,

same size and weight as a speed 400, with the following differences:

3.17mm (1/8") shaft

1 pair of S400 spaced mounting holes, 1 pair of S480 mounting holes (16mm/19mm respectively IIRC)

The shaft is a bit shorter than a S400 (at least graupner 7.2V), which may be an issue for some gearboxes.

Yes you will need a brushless ESC

You can probably use your 600AEs if you prop it for low enough current, but they will take more than S400 (up to 15A for the 16/15/8 up to 30A for the 16/15/3 ).

Check hobby-lobby.com, Megamotorsusa.com, icare-rc.com or nesail.com for Jeti or MGM Compro controllers, around $75 for 18A version

megamotorsusa.com has all the data you need to put into any of the calc programs: there are 6 winds to choose from
May 22, 2002, 11:50 AM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
Jeff,

One confusing issue of brushless motors that people get stuck on is the wide dynamic range of operation when compared to a canned ferrite motor. A brushless motor usually handles everything better; voltage, current, and high output RPMs.

The MEGA ACn series is not an exact replacement for a Speed 400 motor because the shaft sizes are different. A Speed 400 motor has a 2.3mm shaft and the ACn has a 3.2mm shaft which is a typical Speed 400 gearbox prop shaft size.

Your 8-cell 600AE packs will work but you'll need a brushless controller for about $70-$80.

On 8-cells, a 6.5x4 prop will give you about 14,000 RPMs at 11.5amps.
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
May 22, 2002, 12:27 PM
...it cost a little more, but i think it's worth it - Kirk recommended a Hacker speed cntrl. for my Mega motor - it has adjustable timing and adjustable switching frequencies...
May 22, 2002, 12:33 PM
...it cost a little more, but i think it's worth it - Kirk recommended a Hacker speed cntrl. for my Mega motor - it has adjustable timing and adjustable switching frequencies...i'm running my 3 turn Mega on the middle timing of the 3 recommended in the Hacker instructions for the Mega motors...

Quick Reply