Nov 11, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Torsion Springs for TSR 2 Landing Gear

Hi there!

Does anyone know a good source for small torsional springs? I need one for the landing gear on the 1/12th-scale TSR 2 EDF that I'm building.[/IMG] The spring needs to rotate the 2-wheel bogey during the 'lowering' sequence, so that the bogey axel is approximately parallel to the aircraft centerline. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave P.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2007, 06:23 PM
Dunno exactly waht you mean by a torsional spring (all springs bar cantilever or cart springs are torsional springs), and can't picture the geometry..but springs are easy peasy to make. Just need the right gauge wire and a mandrel or rod to wind em on.

For very light springs guitar strings are brilliant..
Nov 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Dunno exactly waht you mean by a torsional spring (all springs bar cantilever or cart springs are torsional springs), and can't picture the geometry..but springs are easy peasy to make. Just need the right gauge wire and a mandrel or rod to wind em on.

For very light springs guitar strings are brilliant..
Tsk, tsk, a man of your years not knowing what a torsion(al) spring is. Follow the link and all will be revealed, compression, tension, torsion, etc.
http://www.irvinesprings.com/torsion_springs.htm

Then of course there's Alice Springs. Palm Springs,.........
Nov 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
Actually you probably want the springs to act in reverse to what you described. Have the bogeys hang, so the back wheel touches first. If the spring is rather weak weight of the plane will then make the bogeys swing in their correct position.

When retracting OTOH the bogeys will be already almost in the correct position; so the retracting servo does not have to exert a lot of force to stow the carriage.

Also possible: a spring keeps the bogey in retract position. A string pulls it in near correct landing position when the gear is extended.

And i'm with vintage on that one: just wind them yourself. It's not rocket science.

And, ah, the irony of torsion springs really being bending springs, while helical are in torsion... Always makes for some confusion.
Last edited by MarkusN; Nov 12, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Nov 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
Thread OP

TSR 2 Main Gear

Hi there!

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I've tried winding a spring, and it works reasonably well, but I was hoping for a commercial source. I probably should have described the sequence in a little more detail:
1. As the gear assembly enters the retract sequence, the bogey is parrallel to the A/C centerline;
2. As the assembly rotates forward, the front wheel contacts a small 'plate' in the wheel well, causing the bogey to rotate counterclockwise; this should load the spring during the rest of the retraction sequence;
3. As the gear assembly begins the lowering sequence, the spring should unload, and return the bogey to (approximately) parallel with the A/C centerline (yes, it would be helpful if the front wheel were a bit elevated with respect to the centerline).

I've used a string/thread to check the concept, but would certainly not want to use such a scheme on this model. I'll check my local guitar store for some finer wire than I'm able to obtain from other local sources.

Quick Reply