Nov 10, 2007, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Is time for Windrider Bee to say good-bye?

Dear All Bee Fans

Is the time for Bee to say good-bye, I just have 200 Bees leave.
I know I can't make a better Bee if I still keep the old Bee tooling, I MAY take a risk first to destroy the old Bee tooling, than make a new Bee.
Any suggestion? what design should I add on new Bee?

Bee, is the time for you to retirement, we all miss you and can't forget what the happiest you bring us on the slope. I will make you relive by your next generation.

Ming Lou
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2007, 08:35 AM
F3B
Ming,

that's big news for the american guys - they love the bee like family!

It's going to be hard to improve on a design that seems basically very sound. Good luck!

Tom
Nov 10, 2007, 09:20 AM
Born Again Idiot
Ming
Can I ask why you would want to discontinue the Bee?
Economics or just concentrating on other models in your line?

Out of interest, in the UK we don't have the Bee. We have the Irvine X-it which I believe is the Bee but just under a different name and packaging. Do you produce the foam moulds for these?

I loved my X-it and when it was time for a refurbishment I turned it into a Bomber Bee. (heavyweight single finned Predator Bee). If I smashed it or lost it I'd get another tomorrow.
Nov 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
Have plane, will crash
I think the Bee is fantastic... I love mine

why?
Nov 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
-----
Moosey, I wouldnt have thought there was any problem getting the Bee direct from Windrider: http://www.windrider.com.hk/products/product.cfm?id=9.

I bought two EasyPro glider direct from Hong Kong, no probs.

Chris
Nov 10, 2007, 10:08 AM
DS Junkie
Wow, this is bad news. I love my Bee even though it's the only foamie I own. Ming, why?
Nov 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
I can't imagine so many Bees have been produced that the tooling is worn out?

Then again, maybe the fact that Ming can so readily produce new molded planes means his molds are designed more for quick production than for long-term durability? Who knows.

Anyways, nothing wrong with a new plane. Sounds like Ming is asking for a wishlist for the next Bee...

I remember when the -pro version of the Weasel came out, I didn't think the Weasel could be improved upon, but it was a night and day difference.

Hopefully with good input from the Bee Hive, the Bee v2 will be even better than Bee v1

Steve
Nov 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ming,

that's big news for the american guys - they love the bee like family!

It's going to be hard to improve on a design that seems basically very sound. Good luck!

Tom
Tom

This is a very hard decision, everybody love Bee and Bee around the world RC slope site.
In Hong Kong, I can said over 75% of RC sloper own aleast Bee.
I made Bee for over 6 years since year 2001 and this is Windrider first product.
What my thought is I have to make something better than Bee after 6 years. We can't stop there which is 6 years ago.

On the business side, many RC sloper fly a Bee for many years, I need a new model to continue the business.
On a modeler side, I have few idea want to apply on a new flying wing.
A more perfect performance Bee will born.

Ming Lou
Nov 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
The Predator
I have COMPLETE faith in Ming and, lots of Predator Bees still in stock !
We have both been working on different wing prototypes lately. Me and my speed wings and Ming working on the new sheeted foam Bee wing. I have been fairly pleased with my first protos and have several more in the pipeline. I'll bet Ming has done even better with his design work but, this is ONLY speculation! Sure would be a good reason for Ming to move forward though!
Personally, I need to learn more about design (alread done a fair bit of book work) and, the proto process is the perfect teacher for hands on training. I just change ONE thing at a time and see the effects with each proto. Usually its what I expect but not always. From that training I'll be much better at zeroing in on characteristis I want in a wing and visa versa. I have also noted some static physical limitations with current build and material technology. The limits actually help by reducing/eliminating some variables. I'm testing here too to push that envelope.
I'm finishing up a new proto this weekwnd and I've very excited to fly it and learn from the EXTREME planform I'm using. Hopefully a multi airfoil blend will compliment this planform with efficient lift distribution but, just one variable at a time so test results are VERY clearly apparent.
Nov 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Ming, Keep the old Bee and do a new one too.Every pilot I know flys a Bee over here. I have 3 predator Bees.
Nov 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ming
Can I ask why you would want to discontinue the Bee?
Economics or just concentrating on other models in your line?

Out of interest, in the UK we don't have the Bee. We have the Irvine X-it which I believe is the Bee but just under a different name and packaging. Do you produce the foam moulds for these?

I loved my X-it and when it was time for a refurbishment I turned it into a Bomber Bee. (heavyweight single finned Predator Bee). If I smashed it or lost it I'd get another tomorrow.
Moosey

Yes, X-it = Bee in UK which is from same tooling.
My answers for why discontinue the Bee is:
1. No reason to keep the old Bee if the new Bee have better performance (I hope).
2. Discontinue the old Bee could make me do my very very best to make a very very best new Bee.
3. No backup plan, no fallback, no fail.

Remark, this new Bee will not finish within 3 months. All my dealer please don't worry the impact the Bee sales.

Ming Lou
Nov 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
Flagstaff, AZ

New Bee???

As much as I would miss the Bee v1, I look forward to seeing what Ming comes up with in v2.

The best thing about the Bee is the molded foam construction. It seems dense but is not too heavy. It very strong, does not suck up glue/Goop... and stuff really sticks to it (tape, Goop etc).

I like the molded in servo, battery and receiver pockets. It make building much faster.

I like that the Bee can be build light and strong. I enjoy heavy wings, but fly my light ones much more often... even in strong wind.

The airfoil combo (sorta-symetrical an the center and thinned out and a bit cambered at the tips) seems to work pretty well for a fast, maneuverable combat wing.

What I would suggest as changes...

Offer an upgraged hardware package including Ribbon spars (pre cut slots) and beefy control horns and linkages. Karl is doing this as a reseller, but why not offer quality parts to start with.

I would like to see a combat wing design like the "Raider" or one of the Ritewing designs. More symetrical with moderate thickness... but still fast. Something like that in molded foam would be fantastic.. a Bee Classic/Combat.

After that model is a raving success, release the Bee Speed/DS... with a thinned out airfoil. (Or maybee do that one first)
Nov 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I think the Bee is fantastic... I love mine

why?
Hytram

Hope I can make something beyond fantastic, let see what make and what the difference.

In the past few years, I got a very strong support from many fellows from difference countries project to project, I have to say thank again here.

Ming
Nov 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Chris

Thank! how is your two Easy Pro flying.
Use one piece 6mm spar if you can get one long enough in your country.
It could fly better:
Windrider Easy Pro EPP Glider (2 min 36 sec)

Ming Lou
Nov 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Wow, this is bad news. I love my Bee even though it's the only foamie I own. Ming, why?
Screamin' eagle

Don't worry, Cliff and Karl have enough stock in US.
Why? old thing don't go, new think don't come.

Ming Lou

Quick Reply