Mar 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
Quote:
Man, either something is wrong with my video codecs, or that is the funniest video ve seen i n a while.
LOL, yeah same here to.
Sounds like Alvin & the Chipmunks had invaded the set!!!

Ian
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2008, 10:40 AM
Vietnam Vet US NAVY
That was a Riot, ROFLOL
Mar 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
Kiss the Sky
This will appear to be a dumb question, and it may well be!!!- Whilst this model looks fantastic, I can't understand why, if one is going to go to all this trouble building the wing sweep mechanism, why not build a Steve Schumate full fuseage design F-14? They are both very similar as far I can see, especialy the wing sweep mechanism?. Obviously Maybz 'semi-profile' design will be lighter than Steve's full fuse design, but are there any aspects I have missed here? The reason I ask is that I'm just about to build one of these fantastic designs but I can not decide which one (spoilt for choice?!) and wondered what the pros and cons were for each ? If it it is merely the small weight saving of Maybz's 'semi profile' design I would personally lean towards Steve's more scale full fuselage version,.Anyone have a definative answer regarding the difference (other than the obvious already mentioned?). Thanks in advance
Mar 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
Retired CAD guy
Mike designed this to be Light and Simpler and Quick to build !

It flys nice and slow and does HI Alpha well and speeds up as much as I need
with the wings back. Plus it does TV flips and Harriers - too kewel !
Would you do those close to the ground with a HI END scale ship- NOT !

If you lean towards a more scale look then Do Steve's bird.

Or build this to get experience and for fun and build the other for
events that expect a higher degree of scale.
Mar 22, 2008, 10:48 PM
Suspended Account
I maidened mine ( with full fuse ) today. Tail heavy at first, moved the 1320 lipo as far forward as I could, and it flew great. With a 5 mph head wind I could get it to hover into a landing. With the wings swept it tended to be a little squirrly in the roll, but thats due to the cg. No pics of the flight, still needs paint. I need to pull a clear canopy and add some cat drivers. Nice little plane here guys.

Tom
Mar 23, 2008, 07:02 AM
Fly 3D Mon!
I decided to go the same route as 62.5pilot and make a full fuse. It wasn't much more work, and I like the look better.

It's funny 62.5 cause I got to maiden mine yesterday as well . This plane flies great! My CG worked out fine right where its recommended, not any major change in flight with wings swept or out.

Mine did come out a little heavier than most though(15.8 ounces), but still did all the high alpha stuff just fine. Now it's time to get some paint on it.

I do have templates I made for the sides and top that I'll add to the thread later in case anybody wants them. The only thing I dont have templates for would be the canopy and nose, which was just carved out of big chunk of foam and hollowed out.

Thanks Maybz for such great work with this plane!
Mar 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
Kiss the Sky
Thanks for the advice Birdofplay-The full fuse conversions look great also. Once in the air, you can't see it is not full fuse anyway, I also like the design with the motor more 'midships' as opposed to pusher.
Mar 23, 2008, 08:00 AM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1

attention maybz

maybz could you do a mod to your fullsize one sheet plans as i have access to a plotter but your page size is just over the limits could you bring the page size down to what you have marked out on your grid plus one square thanks

jim
Mar 23, 2008, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
3DMON, looks great, I used the original stock canopy and copied it abot 6 times untill it was thick enough. Like yours the inside is cut out also. The turtledeck and front fuse top is just cut to fit. I still say they are begging for a clear canopy.

Tom
Last edited by 62pilot; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
Mar 24, 2008, 12:16 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I do something similar. After printing (and taping) I take card stock or poster board, spray it with 3M77 adhesive, apply it to the plans, then cut out the pattern.
You can also just print to card stock. I got the idea from these boards and tried it out. Resualt is fantastic. It will not hurt the printer. ( at least it hasn't mine )

You print and cut one time only and have a set of templates for your next bird. and the next...and on and on. Save that high priced 3M77 for making KF3 wings

Tony
Mar 24, 2008, 07:02 AM

First flight yesterday even though it was finished in January. Flying season has returned here in the Northeast.
Two issues upon first flight. It was tail heavy. Solved that by putting extenders on the elevon servos and repositioning all the electronics into the nose. Also, the elevons were way too sensitive. I backed them off to 50% throw.
All that done, and the plane flew like a monster. I've got an Ultrafly B12-10 outrunner on it with a 12X6 prop cut down to 7". Had to remember to install the prop backwards on the motor. The plane is a gas. Gotta be careful where you are when the wings are swept back, as it loses a lot of controllability and becomes a lawn dart. I used an elecric retract servo on the wings, so we can sweep them at any time during flight. My son did a low flyby with wings retracted which was coming right at us, we had to hit the deck as it zoomed by. There was no one else at the field yesterday, I can't wait to show this to the club on a crowded day.
Mar 24, 2008, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
This will appear to be a dumb question, and it may well be!!!- Whilst this model looks fantastic, I can't understand why, if one is going to go to all this trouble building the wing sweep mechanism, why not build a Steve Schumate full fuseage design F-14? They are both very similar as far I can see, especialy the wing sweep mechanism?. Obviously Maybz 'semi-profile' design will be lighter than Steve's full fuse design, but are there any aspects I have missed here? The reason I ask is that I'm just about to build one of these fantastic designs but I can not decide which one (spoilt for choice?!) and wondered what the pros and cons were for each ? If it it is merely the small weight saving of Maybz's 'semi profile' design I would personally lean towards Steve's more scale full fuselage version,.Anyone have a definative answer regarding the difference (other than the obvious already mentioned?). Thanks in advance
I don't know how complicated Steve's design is, but this Tomcat goes together quite easily. Once the parts are cut out it's just a 3D puzzle with instructions. An hour with a glue gun and you got yourself a plane.
Mar 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
Well I finally got around to building this jet. Thanks Maybz for a great design and thanks Bob for doing a fantastic job cutting the foam. Have been flying for many years but will be the first time flying this type.

Have not had too much experience with a pusher setup. So I have a couple of questions regarding the motor and control throws.

1st the motor I am using is a Turnigy TR 28-26 1650Kv ( https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idproduct=5655 ) . Which prop would you recommend? 7x4, 7x5, 7x6....? Also concerning the prop....since the motor direction can be reversed does it matter which way the prop is installed on the motor? I've looked for this answer and from reading a few different responses I get conflicting opinions. Should the writing on the prop face the front of the plane or the back or doesn't it matter since the motor can rotate either direction.

2nd question is what should the elevon throws be set at. Does this plane require them to be at max throws up and down or will that make it a handful to fly. Since I am new to this type of plane I don't want it to be so squirrely until I get used to it. But I don't want to have the throws set so low that it doesn't respond. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advise.

RC
Mar 28, 2008, 09:58 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
I like the full fuses here guys, I may give that a shot..
Mar 28, 2008, 10:15 AM
Fly 3D Mon!

Full fuse templates

Here are the full fuse templates I made. I hope to see more of these.

Quick Reply