Mar 04, 2008, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt1e_b
Unfortunately the DX6 only has one programmable mix while in Heli mode.
That's what I was finding, but didn't know why it wouldn't work. Thanks Paul. I'll play around with the program you mentioned and report back.

I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this, but I'll let you know what I find.

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2008, 01:08 PM
Kiss the Sky
I just wondered, without ploughing through the whole thread (again), as the hardware spec was originally posted by Maybz for his excellent design as:

Motor - LS Purple Peril (AXI 2208/26 would also be a good choice)
Prop - APC 7x4
ESC - CC 18
Batt - TP1320 3s
Servos - two HS-55 and one HS-45HB or similar for the sweep

Any unpdates/upgrades/improvements as far as hardware that have come to light now several of this excellent model have been built? I appreciate all componants are replaceable, I just wondered what combinations have worked for you guys that are enjoying flying this model? Wouldn't a motor like a Grayson Hobbies Parjet 2212 with smaller dia prop be better, less torque?
Last edited by electriceye; Mar 04, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Mar 04, 2008, 01:20 PM
A strong sweep servo is required...either HS65 or HS81MG has been used successfully ...I'm looking to use a HS65.

(I still suggest you read the entire thread..excellent stuff)

Bill
Mar 04, 2008, 01:50 PM
I have used the HS81MG with no problems.

The LHS said they will be comming out with a HS82MG, if they haven't already, for roughly the same price as the 81 and is a little stronger and quicker.

Brett
Mar 04, 2008, 01:53 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
It's out most suppliers I use have already sold out of the 81 and are now only carrying the 82
Mar 04, 2008, 05:53 PM
I use the blue bird Bms-380MG servo for the wing sweep 50oz/in torque weighs .55oz.
Mar 05, 2008, 11:48 AM
Kiss the Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredVTT
A strong sweep servo is required...either HS65 or HS81MG has been used successfully ...I'm looking to use a HS65.

(I still suggest you read the entire thread..excellent stuff)

Bill
Hi Thanks-I have read the thread several times, but now I am seriously thinking of buildind this model, I just wondered what gear others had used succesfully (without having to re-read)-Thanks for the recomendations on the wing sweep servo- motor, ESC etc I reckon I can work out for myself if I don't use recommended gear.
Thanks again for suggestions
Mar 05, 2008, 12:10 PM
10/4...the secret to successfull electric flight is to keep it lightweight with sufficient power....

..14 oz seems to be the weight...
..140 watts minimum seems to be the power goal ....
..7/4 prop seems to be the decent prop for both torque and speed..
..a strong (20C) 1320 or 1800 mah lipo seems to be a suitable pack,
(although many probably use the heavier 2100 pack.)

Bill
Mar 05, 2008, 12:26 PM
Crash & Burn
Motor: Emax 2812 a LSPP will work fine too
ESC: some cheapo Hong Kong 18amp no name
Prop: APC 7x5E
Battery: Loong 1300 3S 20C
Servos: HS-81MG for the wings, HS-55's for the tail

Great looking plane and a great flying plane with the wings swept or partially swept, with the wings out, rolls are pretty sluggish (for me). I built mine very heavy (16 oz) and it still flies very well. Slows down nicely, flies pretty fast too. Right now, out of the 4 prop-jets that I've built, this one is still my favorite.
Mar 05, 2008, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmacorlando
That's what I was finding, but didn't know why it wouldn't work. Thanks Paul. I'll play around with the program you mentioned and report back.

I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this, but I'll let you know what I find.

Bill

I actually got my DX6 back from being serviced and just tried the programming mixes I mentioned before and it seems to work pretty good on the bench tests I've done. With the Throttle to gear mix off I can use the gear switch for manual selection of two sweep positions, full unswept and full swept back. Then with the Throttle to gear(wing sweep) mix on I have the wings just starting to sweep back at just under half throttle with full back sweep by the time I get to full throttle. It's nice and smooth!

I've also figured out a way to get a manual four position wing sweep instead just the two positions that the gear switch allows. I've set up Mix B to mix gear to gear for dual rates using the elevator D/R switch in combination with the gear switch. Here is how I did it. The below assumes that your wing sweep is set to the gear channel and not reversed. Also that when the gear switch is pulled towards you the wings are in its furthest swept forward position and with with the gear switch pushed away from you the wings move to its furthest swept back position.

1. Press the SCROLL and INCREASE buttons simultaneously to enter function mode.
2. Press the SCROLL button until mix “B11” appears at the top right corner of the screen.
3. Press CHANNEL button until mix "Bch" appears at the top right corner of the screen
4. Press the INCREASE button until 5 (gear) appears on the screen as the master channel.
5. Press the DECREASE button until 5 (gear) appears on the screen as the slave channel.
6. Press CHANNEL button until mix "BSW" appears at the top right corner of the screen and set this to "E" using the INCREASE/DECREASE button.
7. Press CHANNEL button until mix "B55" appears at the top right corner of the screen and set the Elevator D/R switch to the on position.
8. Move the gear switch toward you and press the INCREASE or DECREASE button to set your desired value (mine is set at -60 %). Make sure the Elevator D/R switch is set to on position while doing this.
9. Move the gear switch in the opposite direction to adjust that direction’s value. (mine is set to -97 %)

So essentially what this mix does is it allows you to lower the travel rate of your gear switch when the mix is on. So the steps to operate the sweep in this mode goes like this.

1. Gear switch towards you and Elevator D/R switch off = fully unswept.
2. Gear switch towards you and Elevator D/R switch on = 1/4 swept back
3. Gear switch away from you and Elev. D/R switch on = 3/4 swept back
4. Gear switch away from you and Elev. D/R switch off = Fully swept back

Hope that helps some one out there.

Paul Barros
Last edited by turt1e_b; Mar 05, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
Mar 05, 2008, 07:33 PM
And here are the step by step instructions for setting up the Throttle to Gear/Sweep mix on a Spektrum DX6 that I mentioned previosly. Same assumptions as before. That you have the wing sweep servo using the Gear channel and that with the gear switch towards you gives fully un-swept wings.

1. Turn on the transmitter and flip the gear switch to the fully un-swept position. Do not touch the gear switch further while setting up or using the below mix!!!!
2. Press the SCROLL and INCREASE buttons simultaneously to enter the Function mode.
3. Press the SCROLL button until “MIX A11” appears at the top right corner of the screen. This is Program Mix A.
4. Press the channel button twice until “MIX Ach” appears on the screen
5. Press the INCREASE button until 1 (throttle) appears on the screen as the master channel.
6. Press the DECREASE button until 5 (gear) appears on the screen as the slave channel.
7. Press CHANNEL button until mix "ASW" appears at the top right corner of the screen and set this to "F1" using the INCREASE/DECREASE button so you can turn this mix on and off with the flap switch
8. Press CHANNEL button until MIX OFFSET "A15" appears at the top right corner of the screen. Make sure Flap switch is in the on position.
9. Set throttle stick to a little below half throttle and press the INCREASE/DECREASE button one time. I got a value of -47 at the throttle position I selected. What you are doing here is essentially setting were on the throttle stick range the mix will start sweeping the wings back.
10. Press CHANNEL button until MIX "A15" appears at the top right corner of the screen. Make sure flap switch is still set to mix on position.
11. Press the INCREASE button until you get a value of 125% so you get the full range of sweep.

You may have to go back to step 9 and adjust the offset for different offset positions of the throttle stick until you find a good position that gives you full sweep with the throttle just below half.

One word of warning though. Make sure you DO NOT flip the gear(wing sweep) switch to it's full swept back position while using this Mix!!! Severe servo binding is the result! Also make sure the Wing Sweep Dual Rate mix I just posted above is also off.

Hopefully tomorrow I get to try some real world tests of these two mixes in the air and see if they are worth it!

Paul Barros
Mar 05, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hi guys! This F14 is a gift from heaven! I'm planning to start building it this coming summer and try to knock my friends out with this design. I keep on dreaming building it and flying it for over 1 week now and my wife hears me talk in my sleep

Anyway, I was planning to build one with landing wheels but since it is powered with a prop, i was foreseeing that it will be a disturbance in taking of and landing.

My questions are:

- Is it possible to upgrade this one with a ducted fan? Any ideas which specs should i use?

-where will be the CG located?

-are there any plans where we could install the landing wheels?
( im planning to install another servo in front of the nose fuse. This will serve as steering on the rudder channel.)

Here are some of my electronics that i used on my GWS Zero

for my servos, im only using cheapos:
- Tower pro servos 8g (im going to use one in the wing retract)
- e sky servo 9g

-dual sky 1300 16c 3s
-arrowind outrunner 2010
-cheapo china esc 40amp

Im using a Futaba 6EXFASST 6channel. http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk6900.html
Just bought it last January and i don't have any clue on how to program the elevons.

Thank you for the genius who design this.

Mike from Manila
Mar 06, 2008, 03:01 PM

build

BOB payment sent for a white one and thanks Maybz for the design..will be first on my list when i get back home to North Carolina from Saudi Arabia. as i have 3 more weeks to work, it should be waiting on my workbench when i get home.. just have to look in the thread on the best wing servo to use and get it ordered. then, YA HOO i'm home for 5 weeks to play,
Mar 06, 2008, 11:19 PM
Retired CAD guy
Got it, Thanks !

Will send tomorrow AM!

Been in Portland all day but home now.

PM sent too.
Mar 07, 2008, 06:55 AM
Mikeramos, don't use a towerpro 8g servo for wing retract. You must use a high torque servo, better with metal or carbonite gear, like HS-65 or HS-81.

Has anybody program the Futaba F7 for autosweep?
Last edited by juanje; Mar 07, 2008 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply