Oct 14, 2020, 09:07 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
When I went oversized servo with mine I had to modify the foam a little to get it to fit properly. Stuck it through the bottom a little.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2020, 05:39 AM
Open Minded > Sunburnt Brain
Thanks, That's what I kind of figured but thought I would ask before I cut the hole.
Oct 28, 2020, 09:59 PM

Maiden Await’n

Finished my MDC F14. Took a bit longer than I hoped but a new experience building with MPF. My AUW is just under 20oz (567g). The following is my setup, I did a power measurement and at full throttle was drawing 15A. Opinions are welcome

Motor : RC Elec 2812/1534Kv
ESC : HK 30A
Prop: APC 7x4 SF
Servos : Sweep HS-82 MG 19g
Elevons: HXT 900
Rcvr : ORX R618XL
Battery : Admiral 1300mAh 25C.

Hopefully will get a maiden video this weekend. Thanks to all that posted their build results and responded to my inquiries.
Oct 28, 2020, 10:22 PM
Retired CAD guy
Wow, Nice job !

Great Graphics too

Wings out, Underhanded toss, by grabbing the top rear canopy.

Best of luck with your maiden.
Oct 29, 2020, 04:09 AM
Nice. Loving the tail badge.
Nov 01, 2020, 09:54 PM

Maiden F14

Maiden was mostly a success. First toss had the plane a little under powered and had a tendency to want to go down and to the left. Made it about 20ft. Had help on second toss still wanted to drop down and to the left but was able to correct and get airborne. Handled really well. After a blurroll the battery ejected, the plane floated gently to the ground, only damage was to the lower fuselage where the battery cable broke a section of the foam. Repaired and tossed again but had same result as first toss and landing ripped off motor mount. Also to note is that when the wings were swept had to go at or near full throttle to keep it in the air. Is that normal or am I underpowered? I will need to rig a better battery retainer other than just Velcro.
Video attached is kind of difficult to see plane but does show point of ejection at end.
November 1, 2020 (1 min 43 sec)
Last edited by ZEE FLY GUY; Nov 02, 2020 at 03:45 PM.
Nov 01, 2020, 10:59 PM
Retired CAD guy
That was interesting.

I had a Pak eject on a Cobra attempt withg an F15.
They guys fopund my Pak just off the end of the runway
and, Like You, I flew it again that evening.

I also Used to actually do a FULL STALL Landing with the F-14
I'd Get it into a power off Full Up stall and then just hold that until it was on the ground.

They make some Velcro "Straps" that come in rolls, about 1/2 - 3/4" wide.
I use those on Paks that are more susceptable to ejection.

Regardless. Congrats on the successful maiden(S) ;>}

I am guessing that the build and sveldt Looking Paint job
may have put it a bit over weight.

I haven't built another F-14 in over 10 yrs.
So, I'm a bit out of touch with which is the best "Current" motor to use.

I am a big fan of the 2826-6 with a 3s pak.
I must have a dozen of them all functioning.
Nov 01, 2020, 11:19 PM
Do you keep them in the 1500Kv range, I have seen some posts where they run 2212 at 2200Kv
BTW the Enterprise D is on the bench.
Nov 02, 2020, 06:59 AM
With this plane I feel that the 2200 kv range is better since the prop slot is limiting the size of the prop. I do also use the turnigy 2826 2200 that I think Bob is referring to, it's cheap and they're pretty good for the price.
With the velcro, is it coming loose from the foam or is it just separating at the connection? If the velcro stick um is coming loose from the foam, sanding it smoother and a good cleaning on the foam contact area will help it adhere better.
Nov 02, 2020, 08:17 AM
The Velcro is staying on the foam. It’s a good quality medical grade Velcro so may need to put a strap on it. I went looking for the motor but everyone is sold out.
Nov 02, 2020, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that one sells out alot. Some dollar trees and also harbor freights sell those velcro straps cheap. Kinda short tho, but works. I hot glue a piece of tongue depresor with the strap between the foam and wood and also put velcro on the wood for the battery....doesn't slide. A little extra weight, but almost bulletproof.
Nov 02, 2020, 10:55 AM
Retired CAD guy
There are a lot of variations amongst the brands of Velcro.

The industrial strength stuff from Menards or HoDPo or Lowes is what I use.

Some sewing class Velcro s that I've seen are very weak.
Nov 02, 2020, 12:04 PM
Tongue depressor idea sounds good, will install that. While waiting to the motor do you think I could go with a higher pitch on the 7" prop to maybe a 5 or 6 pitch for more speed with the 1500Kv motor I have now?
Nov 02, 2020, 12:40 PM
I just came across these plans a week ago and knew I had to build this. I maidened mine this Saturday. Like the poster above, my hatch ejected the battery out, but it came fluttering down like a leaf. I bolstered the hatch area and I'm good now - did three flights after cranking up the expo and limiting the throws a bit.
My setup:

ESC - 30A
Motor - 2826-2200kv
Prop - APC 6x4
Battery - 2200mah 3s
all up weight 21oz

F-14 Maiden - with swing wing! (1 min 6 sec)
Nov 02, 2020, 06:32 PM
Retired CAD guy
Nice job on that maiden.

As you discovered ... Expo is a GOOD THING !

2200 3s pak seems a bit large/heavy,
but, You ARE having luck with it so no arguments ;>}

Enjoy,
Bob

Quick Reply