Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 13, 2017, 06:20 AM
Augermeister
Yes I saw that . Alpha is going to re-organize the files. They are aware of it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2017, 08:34 AM
Retired CAD guy
Oops, I was talking about the B24 files not the A10 files.

Anyway I grabbed what was there in the 2 zips and 45 minutes later I have these.
I tried .2mm layer height on these.
Standard, regular PLA white material.

Not sure what I should expect n
or what you expect,

Regardless it it what it is.

My E-mail is on my site

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Dec 14, 2017, 01:55 PM
Retired CAD guy
dahawk47 ... helloooo ?
Dec 14, 2017, 05:51 PM
Augermeister
I’ll send you a note
Jan 16, 2018, 06:35 AM
Hi all,
As I believe the all foam pivot for the wings will wear out pretty fast, I changed the pivot of the wings a little. I cut two sets of rings from interfitting PVC tubes (38-40 mm) and used a fine sandpaper to create some play, creating a sliding bearing. Glued the bearing in between the foam pivot. It's sturdy and it's smooth.

Rob
Jan 16, 2018, 08:33 AM
Retired CAD guy
Excellent mod.

Pix ?

Somewhere way back around 2007ish I believe I used some polyacrylic plastic
to do a similar installation.
However, I wore out everything else before IT even got stressed.
I'd used Black Depron which is much less abrasion resistance with the benefit of being Lighter

This is such a nice simple design I am surprised that it is NOT getting much
discussion or seeing much activity.

C 'est la vie

Jan 28, 2018, 03:17 PM
Exceeds the speed of foam
I still fly mine occasionally. It still impresses onlookers.
Jan 28, 2018, 07:44 PM
Retired CAD guy
Built Simple and light it's a very nice bird to have in the hanger !

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout service
Jul 01, 2018, 06:52 PM
Thought I should share some photos of my airplane and say thanks for the great design and free plans. This is my second F-14, the first one got retired after lots of wear and tear, the second one is my favourite park flyer airplane now. Awesome speed range, it's like having two models in one. I took the advice given in many posts and kept mine light, used a pretty small motor and battery and it goes fast enough for me but slows down enough to fly at almost any small field which helps me out tremendously as I travel a lot with my models. I also have had some fun with an up elevator mix someone mentioned earlier on in the thread that gives the airplane a parachute like decent which is kind of an auto land feature. Thanks again for the great plans.

RC model F-14 Flying in Fairbanks Alaska (8 min 23 sec)
Jul 02, 2018, 01:10 PM
Retired CAD guy
Gotta LUV those "Wings Back" Blurrrrrolls :>}
Jul 04, 2018, 10:25 AM
Retired CAD guy
Where have all the Builders gone ?
Jul 15, 2018, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Where have all the Builders gone ?
Yes I know it is a bit sad really, one look around the hobby store these days and you quickly realize that they aren't getting the same traffic they once were for simple building supplies. I was shopping around for Carbon fibre strips for my F-14 and another model I'm currently building and I had to search near and far just to find something online that wasn't really what I was looking for but would have to do. I still love this F-14 model, I try and fly it every day while I'm on the road with work this summer. I'll post another video soon when I finish editing it. Tom
Jul 15, 2018, 06:46 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Nice looking model and some nice flying there scootracer .. can you give us some specs please .. size, weight, motor, prop, ESC, etc

I did build one of these many moons ago and it flew well

I agree with you and Bob, not enough scratch builders around anymore .. its easier for most guys to simply buy RTF models

Lockey
Jul 15, 2018, 06:52 PM
Retired CAD guy
Tony,

Back in 2007 when this was a hot build all the specs were splattered all over this thread.

I also advocated for a LIGHT build vs a heavier more powerful approach,

It was a delight to fly LIGHT and Slow but it would also SCOOT ! with the wings back
not to mention a very quick roll rate.

When you get your CNC back up and running I can send the files you need to
to introduce it to the other side of the planet ! ;>}

even tho there hasn't been much Servicing or Cutting out of late 8>( sigh ......

edit l8r:

you should have my attachment by now ;>}
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 15, 2018 at 07:08 PM.
Jul 15, 2018, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Nice looking model and some nice flying there scootracer .. can you give us some specs please .. size, weight, motor, prop, ESC, etc

I did build one of these many moons ago and it flew well

I agree with you and Bob, not enough scratch builders around anymore .. its easier for most guys to simply buy RTF models

Lockey
Hi Lockey, thanks for the compliments, no worries mate on the specs! My F-14 measures 84 cm (33 inches) from nose to tail, wingspan varies from 54 cm (21 inches) swept, to 84 cm (33 inches) spread. I believe that when I printed the plans out they may have been scaled a touch undersized like 93-97% of the originals but I can't remember for sure or find any reference to that in my build notes, maybe Bob could confirm that size for me? I was unsure of the weight till a few days ago when I bought another scale, left mine back in Canada, I'm on the road working at the moment in Alaska. Ready to fly it is 311 grams or about 11 ounces. I was going to use a standard size motor but the motor I already had worked pretty well, it's a Rimfire 28-22-1380 turning a 7x6EP APC prop, I'm using a Castle creations Talon 15 ESC and a Hitec Minima 6S receiver. I'm glad I followed the advice of people on this thread like Bob who encouraged keeping the plane light, it's a flat foam model with no airfoil, why the heck would you shove all kinds of heavy high powered stuff into an airframe like this and try and make it go super fast like the real thing. I had a couple of EDF models for that type of flying, worked way better. With the plane nice and light like this it can be flow just about anywhere that there is enough space to throw a frisbee although it is nice to have the space when you have it available. I've been lucky enough to be able to walk from my hotel to a small park across the street to fly twice a day, hard to beat. On a side note, I was working near Perth and out of Busselton in February of 2015 on an aerial firefighting contract, nice part of the world you live in.

Quick Reply