Dec 24, 2007, 07:51 AM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I wonder if a servo saver would work well to protect the wing sweep servo?

I don't have any personal experience with these yet, but I've spoken to other pilots who think they are very worth while.
Hey,

Good point, they basically take out the initial shock of movement as I used to use them on the 1/10th buggies many years ago.
I think you can get variable tension ones as you need to make it tight enough to hold the wings, but loose enough to absorb the shock of moving them in fast flight.

Only drawback is the extra height under the top panels, but you could build that out.

Ian
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2007, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice
Hey,

Good point, they basically take out the initial shock of movement as I used to use them on the 1/10th buggies many years ago.
I think you can get variable tension ones as you need to make it tight enough to hold the wings, but loose enough to absorb the shock of moving them in fast flight.

Only drawback is the extra height under the top panels, but you could build that out.

Ian
If Maybz were willing to increase the height of the wing-swing box, might ball-bearing mounts for the wings be a feasible approach to reducing the torque requirements?

While picking up a few stray airsoft pellets in my kids' backyard over in Atlanta a few weeks ago, I noted that an airsoft pellet might make a nice lightweight ball-bearing. I'm thinking a double-row lazy-susan style bearing, plus perhaps a single-row bearing for the hinge/trunnion axis. At about 0.2 grams per airsoft pellet, it seems the extra weight (budget) for a heavy-duty wing-sweep servo could be spent reducing the torque requirement, rather than overpowering the existing torque requirement.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Dec 24, 2007, 10:40 AM
Crash & Burn
[QUOTE=birdofplay]........I hope everyone is applying some kind of SLIPPPERY TAPE on their INSIDE wing saddle parts before assembling the wing box !
TOP and Bottom !....
/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that I forgot to put some on the top of the wing box. That's probably why it worked fine on the ground, the wing wasn't loaded. When I put some load on the wings, sure enough, it started to grab and that awful sound of the gears slipping started.

Bob
Dec 24, 2007, 11:29 AM
Retired CAD guy
That is why I was REITERATING the building suggestion !

It's easy to get AHEAD of yourself when building an exciting bird like this.
Especially when your near the end and putting the last parts together !

I used tape and I added a thin 1/64" plywood disc on top of each
wing pylon to slightly SPACER the box.
Depending on your thickness of tape, you'll need it !
I even thought about applying some 1/4" wide slippery tape to the SIDES/EDGES of the Pylons to further reduce the friction.
And it IS FRICTION not Mass that we are trying to overcome.

What we really need are some 1/4 thick teflon bearings.
Too expensive and wastefull to mill from a chunk sold teflon.
Maby HMW type plastics - and we're back to ethylene again !
But teflon tapes ARE available.

It'll take a bit more "Fitting" of wings but SLIPPERY is what we need !

At this time I dont feel it is necessary to go to bulky. heavy, solutions.
I think we can innovate our way out or this binding situation !
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 24, 2007 at 11:39 AM.
Dec 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
Crash & Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
.....It's easy to get AHEAD of yourself when building an exciting bird like this. Especially when your near the end and putting the last parts together !
Ah, sounds like you know me, that's exactly what happened. It was looking so cool that I just rushed through the last section to get it done.

I think I'm going to take an HS-85MG servo out of my Dave Patrick Ultimate (which I haven't flown in 3+ yrs, and donate it to the F-14. No sense in waiting for another order from UH to arrive. Wish I thought of that before I placed the order....
Dec 24, 2007, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
That is why I was REITERATING the building suggestion !

It's easy to get AHEAD of yourself when building an exciting bird like this.
Especially when your near the end and putting the last parts together !

I used tape and I added a thin 1/64" plywood disc on top of each
wing pylon to slightly SPACER the box.
Possibly some 1/4" wide slippery tape applied to the SIDES/EDGES of the Pylons
would further reduce the friction.
And it IS FRICTION not Mass that we are trying to overcome.

It'll take a bit more "Fitting" of wings but SLIPPERY is what we need !

At this time I dont feel it is necessary to go to bulky. heavy, solutions.
I think we can innovate our way out or this binding situation !
Absolutely! If more SLIPPERY can be achieved with negligible added weight, that would be the way to go.

One might check Lee Valley Tools website to see what they have in the way of slippery tape.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Dec 24, 2007, 11:41 AM
Retired CAD guy
Dont forget to DO the TOP wing box also !
I expect that there is more AIR loadded friction there !

And it so kewel to pullup and pull the wings back and go Ballistic !
Dec 24, 2007, 11:43 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
Thread OP
Sounds like a good plan rmgmag... just to reiterate, here are the key steps to smooth wing action:

1. Make sure the pivots do not fit the wings tightly.. there should be a little slop.
2. Make sure you apply tape to the top side of the lower deck
3. Make sure you add a piece of 1mm Depron or 1/32 ply to the tops of the pivots disks.
4. Make sure to install the mylar bushing strips
5. Make sure you apply tape to the bottom side of the upper deck (just around the edge)
Last edited by Maybz; Dec 25, 2007 at 02:49 AM.
Dec 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Retired CAD guy
Hey Mike, I thought you were in AZ on Holiday !

BTW I located my pylons on the top wing box and taped
around the whole area.
But then I didnt read you instructions :-)))

Bushings ? what Bushings ? I never saw that anywhere !

I guess if we do like mike says ...

"We dont need no MG SERVOS ! "
Dec 24, 2007, 02:53 PM
Heyas, Maybz what r u doing in the 3rd picture I cant make it out Also I found that clear contact paper is very slippery, close to teflon so ill try to make use of that
REZ
Oh I see your putting tape around the disk!
Dec 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
Ken's CAD Models
You could use some silicone spray also. Just make sure your not going to paint that area.

Ken
Dec 25, 2007, 02:54 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
Thread OP
Step 3 is a piece of mylar strip made from some leftover Velcro backing. You also really need to add the tape layer to the areas where the Depron will be rubbing against itself. I have tried it without tape and it works for about a day before the Depron starts grinding itself into little crumbs. With the tape coating it will pretty much last forever. Please read through my build notes on pages 7 and 9 on this thread.

Cheers.

Yes, I am in AZ now relaxing... with my laptop of course
Dec 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
Chillin till SEFF
How's the temp in AZ? Carolina is surprisingly pleasant. Wish I woulda brought my planes now.
Dec 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
Crash & Burn
I'm dying to get out and fly (a balmy 32 degrees). Changed out my servo, added some tape and now it seems much smoother. The Mrs was not pleased when I mentioned going out for a quick test flight....obviously she's not a flier.
Dec 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
Thread OP
I'm also wishing I had brought something to fly. The weather is beautiful here... clear skies, 50~60 degree highs and dead calm. Oh, and did I mention there is a big park down the street...? Should have packed by my flying kit.

Quick Reply