May 27, 2009, 04:31 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Cool. Thanks. Just making sure - not a ton of confidence with my first build...
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
I'm a bit confused. Does this work even with the HS-82? It looks different from the picture from the build. It seems that this would be up too high for the top deck...
I think its suppose to be sandwiched between the 2 pieces. Then it wont be up as high.
May 28, 2009, 01:37 PM
Kiss the Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
I think its suppose to be sandwiched between the 2 pieces. Then it wont be up as high.
I suggest that you try and fit all the parts dry if you can. Hold them in place with tape/pins/whatever. See if it all moves and nothing 'snags'. If it does, make adjustments until it moves OK, if ok then glue it all up. I know it sounds easy to say, but once you have the parts roughly in place you can see how it all moves etc. and it should start making sense. Good luck.
Jun 05, 2009, 11:07 PM
Row 0, Seat A
I started my build a couple of weeks ago after following this thread for a long time. I have not been in any great rush as I have a half dozen planes to fly and don't really have room for more, but I really like this model. (My son finished his several weeks ago [post 1549] and I have flown it a couple of times.)

This evening I finished what i consider to be the hardest part of the build, the wings and sweep setup. Whoohoo!

Now on to complete the build and the second hardest part... which squadron scheme to apply.

Pictures later.

Ted
Jun 09, 2009, 06:04 PM
Row 0, Seat A

Finis!

I just piddled and took a long time to build, but I finally finished today!

Like most, I made a few minor changes along the way. I changed the contour of the nose for a more scale tapered to a point look, and made the aft portion of the bottom fuselage a hinged access panel to the receiver and ESC instead of gluing it closed. That was about all since this is such a well designed model, THANX Maybz!

The wing sweep is not as free as I would like. Was fine until I closed it up, so I think the top deck is pinching the wing some. Probably due to the paint. I'm counting on it freeing up some after several flights. Finished weight is 405 g or 14.3 oz (no battery).

I really liked GG's sunset decal scheme as being unique as well as eye catching. A BZ (bravo zulu is the signal for 'well done') to GG for his great work on the graphics.

Next is the fun of flying this puppy!

Cheers,

Ted
Jun 09, 2009, 07:19 PM
Retired CAD guy
Nice ! way ta go :-) !
Jun 09, 2009, 10:06 PM
Nice job Ted. That is a nice looking Tomcat. You'll have to let me know how it flies compared to your Tomhe Mig-29 as I been considering building this one as well. Regards.

Ben
Jun 10, 2009, 05:25 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Nice ! way ta go :-) !
BOP,

Thanx for your complement.

Ted
Jun 10, 2009, 06:11 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_b
Nice job Ted. That is a nice looking Tomcat. You'll have to let me know how it flies compared to your Tomhe Mig-29 as I been considering building this one as well. Regards.

Ben
Ben,

Thanx. Although I have yet to maiden this one, I can make a comparison based on the one my son built a couple of months ago.

Both of these models are great flyers, but are as different in flying as they are in looks. The F-14 requires a bit more attention than the Mig especially with the wing at full sweep while the Mig is more nimble at slow speeds. If you watch Maybz's and Tomhe's videos at the beginning of each respective thread you will get a sense of what I am trying to describe. The F-14 is a more involved build which is obvious as well. The unique thing about the Tomcat is that it flies differently at each wing sweep position. 3 models in one for the typical sweep setup.

I think anyone with a modicum of flying skills and a little patience in building would be happy with either model. Even happier with both! Your Mig is a beautiful example of those skills! There is not much that can be done to mod the F-14 (mostly resizing), but anyone building the Mig should add ailerons to get the most out of it (hint, hint) and maybe consider the battery box / intake mod I did on mine.

Cheers,

Ted
Jun 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
Excuse the question, but outside of the vid and pics of a smaller scale bird (page 18), has anyone posted plans for a scaled down version of Maybz's Tomcat??? I've been searching and can not find any. I'd like to to try a 3/4 to 1/2 smaller scale. I have some 3mm foam in need of rebirth.

If no plans are posted, outside of resizing the tabs and slots, any other advice???
Jun 10, 2009, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Ben,

to mod the F-14 (mostly resizing), but anyone building the Mig should add ailerons to get the most out of it (hint, hint) and maybe consider the battery box / intake mod I did on mine.

Cheers,

Ted

Ted,

Thanks for your thoughts on the comparison between the two. I need to get those ailerons linked up on the Mig and build one of these too. Looks like a fun airplane.

Ben
Jun 11, 2009, 06:16 PM
I definitely gonna build this seems better than the ones that you would have to sand everything great job and beautiful plane. F-14 has always been my favorite plane.
Jun 11, 2009, 07:44 PM
Retired CAD guy
ksqm:
I haven't seen any smaller versions, sorry.

I guess it's small enough for most guys already.

Smaller would be kinda cute tho :-)

I'd worry about the wing strength and power to weight ratio's .

Keep us posted.
Jun 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks Birdofplay for the info. The plan is to start with a couple of straight forward builds (f22, f15, etc). Then do the f14. I'm looking at overall length's to be in the neighborhood of 16 - 18 inches max, with corresponding wing spans. Challenges will be power plant weight to thrust, servo vs actuator usage, and battery weight/size. I'll keep you posted as I hope to start this weekend sometime.
Jun 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Mine is just about ready for it's maiden. Gotta finish up paint, adjust control throws (may need longer servo arms), add a strap for the battery, and magnets for the battery hatch. Then it's just adjust CG and give her a toss.

Could someone please post a photo of their battery installation? Preferably a 1800-2200 mah one. I would like to see the hold down method you used as well as the actual location of the battery when installed.

Quick Reply