Feb 18, 2019, 10:53 AM
low tech high tech
Add some talcum powder to your paint and spackle mix. The real talc kind, not the modern corn starch kind. It will sand smoother and much easier. Add water to thin to brushable consistency, and use a sponge brush.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2019, 01:31 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Foam Finsish looks interesting to me. I'll order some.

Talcum makes sense, as does the sponge brush.

Thank you both.
Feb 18, 2019, 03:36 PM
Foam Filler: the label says "dries fast", and it sure does.

I would say its consistency is similar to whipped cream, especially compared to Hobbico's Hobbylite filler. You will have to clean your fingers and sculpting tools with water frequently when working with large areas, because it will coat and dry on them quick.
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Feb 26, 2019, 11:22 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
The foam finish came in. Here are some more recent photos. It may be ready to fly in the second half of march.
Feb 27, 2019, 11:32 AM
low tech high tech
Looking good!
Mar 16, 2019, 10:00 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
In the end I went with fiberglass. So if all goes well now it should be ready for flight testing next weekend.
Mar 16, 2019, 10:12 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
That looks great. I'm glad the Foam Filler worked so well for you.
Mar 19, 2019, 08:48 PM
Gesso . Looks like several days of sanding ahead of you tho.
Mar 23, 2019, 11:27 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
First I'll fly it, tomorrow I hope.

Yes for a really smooth finish more sanding is required. On the other hand the smoother the finish now the heaver it will come out. So I decided to call this mostly good enough. With more practice at hot wire cutting the foam there will be less sanding required less weight gaim at the end. Or at least that is my story, so I'll stick with it.
Mar 24, 2019, 09:20 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Three test flights today. Plenty of pucker on the first one, too much roll not enough pitch. Got it down in one piece and reset travel for aileron and elevator. Next flight was much better. A little aileron trim and role became adequately stable, the elevator was good. For the last flight I played a little with the flaps settings. This plane has an impressively broad speed range. The pale green the plane is now, was surprisingly difficult to see.
Aug 04, 2019, 04:28 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Some flights later......

Second time out with it I learned that it really was too hard to hand launch reliably on my own without a head wind. After I rebuilt the nose i made a launch dolly. But that did not work out well enough either. So a bungee launcher has been made it has worked well.

This plane is higher performance then the others. I also learned that I want some battery ventilation and have moved the CG back a little.
Aug 13, 2019, 06:46 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
A record of what it looks like now, sitting on the rails preparing for a launch.

Quick Reply