Dec 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Good advice gpw.

There was some progress this weekend. I also noticed an issue that be a challenge to fix. I see that the canard is now a few degrees off the plane of the main wing. I would swear it was not that way a week ago. I have to guess that when I did the nose job I released some tension. But how ever and when ever it got there, the canard needs leveling.

And Mr Lin, I may or may not get the result I want this time, but I'll keep adjusting the parameters till I do get what I'm looking for.

- Allen
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2007, 06:16 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Coming along rather well...a little finish sanding, some paint and stickers...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 23, 2007, 04:27 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Always seems like the last 20% of the work takes 80% of the time. Finally getting close to paint. Doing a scale like low-visibility scheme might not be such a good idea, do I really need to make it harder to see? So perhaps a blue and yellow with lightning bolts like this. - Allen
Last edited by rab; Dec 25, 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: updated image detail
Dec 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
My decision to use light weight glass cloth and water based polyurethane is costing me a lot of time. It is the first time I've done this and I can see clear room for improvement in my technique and results, but you have to start somewhere.

- Allen
Dec 30, 2007, 01:17 AM
RC Addict
What's your target weight for this plane?
Dec 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Well I had hoped for 16oz rtf, but it is going to be 19. Even so the wing loading will be marginally lighter than the X31 this is replacing.
- Allen
Dec 31, 2007, 09:48 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Well that was disappointing, it did not quite have enough go to sustain flight. It managed two efforts of around 100 yards.

Now I have to decide now how to fix this. I can up the voltage, that means I have to go out and get some different equipment, which I have avoided so far. Or I could convert it to pusher.

I leaning to converting this one to pusher and later redoing this in 3mm depron and with a higher voltage battery and a lower kv motor. Oh well, that will be next year.

- Allen
Jan 02, 2008, 11:03 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
It had two strikes against it, it was too heavy, and the motor was not correct for the fan. I can and will replace the motor. The weight issue will take some thinking about what I can leave off.

In the mean time, I've removed the fan and installed a motor mount in the back. Naturally this means that the battery will move as far forward as possible.

And gpw, if you are still listening, the first toss ended with the plane nose into a puddle. You were so right, I will be building a new nose for this one some time soon. It is crumpled, but I don't think I should fix it till I have the plane flying well enough to justify the paint job. (Hum, something I could leave off......)

- Allen
Jan 06, 2008, 01:07 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Most of the 'mean time' changes are done. It is now a pusher, rtf weighs about 13oz, and to get the balance right I had to add an inch and a half to the nose. It is ready to re-maiden. - Allen
Jan 06, 2008, 08:23 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Well there is yet still more to learn. I ended up way behind the torque roll on launch, and nosed it in twice. Offed the nose the second time.

I am missing the EPP, my QED was much easier to sort out because the plane was still in one piece after most such mistakes on my part.

Anatoly advised me that I should launch at half throttle, I think he is right. In retrospect elevator response seemed slow, so perhaps the battery was too far forward? Would putting the propeller at the back change where the center of gravity needs to be?

- Allen
Jan 07, 2008, 07:07 AM
gpw
gpw
Shouldn't change the CG ...Good Luck on the re-maiden...!!!!
Jan 07, 2008, 12:54 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP

It worked this time!

Very nice here this morning, I took the opportunity to try again, and this time it worked. Yes, starting at half throttle kept the torque roll manageable. I did have to add a moderate amount of up trim. Flew two batteries.

- Allen
Jan 07, 2008, 01:12 PM
gpw
gpw
That's Good news !!!
Jan 08, 2008, 09:24 AM
RC Addict
Congrats!
Jan 08, 2008, 09:37 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Thanks. It is a relief to get this one airborne. Since the weather is not going to be good for a few days now I should get a chance to decorate this one.

- Allen

Quick Reply