Nov 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Thanks Pete, you're right bending the foam is very doable.

You can see that I merged the canard into the front ducting a little. And you can see that I have perhaps not thought out the placement of the canard servo so well. We will see if that servo and linkage require much service, I am betting not.

You can see the intake ducting in place. I need to put a bit of foam back in to smooth the joint to the ducting. Once that is in place I'll work on installing the fan and thrust tube. I am planning to install them from the top, I would like to make that removable, but might just glue it back together if it seems like it will be flimsy.

- Allen
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2007, 06:37 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
I guess build a profile version would be outta' the question , eh ???
Rab , coming along Nicely !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 24, 2007, 10:39 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
gpw, thanks, yeah profile is not what I had in mind. But, I am sure a profile pusher would work fine, probably fly better too.

- Allen
Dec 03, 2007, 07:28 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Some more progress this weekend. The fan and thrust tube are in. I glued some aquarium tubing on the front edge of the air intakes. So far the CG seems to be coming out a bit far forward. I had been counting on mounting the battery up front. If that does not work out I'm planning to puff out the belly a bit, we'll see. - Allen
Dec 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
There has been slow progress. I shaped a nose cone, the canopy is formed, as I've been doing by using parts of a soda bottle.

I have to mount the elevon servos and the rudder, close up the hole over the fan, then I'll be ready to workout the exact location of the battery.

- Allen
Dec 11, 2007, 11:09 PM
Supersonic hover
Looking good Allen - is that plastic tubing on the intake lip? Good idea.

-Matt
Dec 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Matt, yes it is, air tube for an aquarium. Stuck on with Uhu Creative. The bond to the air tube is not super. I will be putting glass and wbpu over it to make it more permanent. - Allen
Dec 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
RC Addict
That's definite progress. Looks good!

My Gripen is about 80% done, but it's been 80% done for a month. I've had no time to finish it or work on any other planes for that matter. I have to solder an extension to the ESC wires and install the electronics. Once these planes are finished, if we get another warm-enough day we should get together and maiden them.
Dec 15, 2007, 03:11 PM
gpw
gpw
Sorry, I must confess, I made a set of plans for a profile version Looking good and can't wait to try it out ....should be LIGHT!!! Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Flew my Draken this morning ...last time we crashed it and mangled the nose ... repaired and checked/repaired (crystals+humidity) it flew just fine ...Love their planes,and their cars, the old cars anyway...
Dec 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Anatoly, I might have this ready to fly by Christmas. Hopefully we will get a warm day, I have leave I need to take before the end of year, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

gpw, I can't wait to see how your profile looks and works, I think it should be an awesome flier. And I think I am going to go back and rework my QED as a profile.
Dec 15, 2007, 09:10 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Thanks for choice GWS EDF55.

Wish you will have a sucessfult result!
Dec 16, 2007, 06:58 AM
gpw
gpw
Mr.Lin... If you're considering the production of a Draken or Viggen, you might consider the addition of a "spare nose", as a service to your customers ...it seems to be the only thing that ever breaks ...over and over...Good flying planes , for the experienced flier ...

Ps , We've Loved your products from the beginning , it's what got us started back into RC after a 10 year layoff...
Dec 16, 2007, 10:40 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

gpw, I strongly considered doing this in EPP, or as a fanfold/EPP hybrid since I've panged a nose or two also. But as you can see I decided to take my chances with with a fanfold nose.

Speaking of the nose, last night it got it's first nose job. The nose was drooping so I cut it off trimmed it up a bit and glued it back on, I like the nose better now. I suppose I will be doing this again after a one point landing or two.

- Allen
Dec 16, 2007, 10:51 AM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab
Anatoly, I might have this ready to fly by Christmas. Hopefully we will get a warm day, I have leave I need to take before the end of year, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
I will be happy to bring the video camera again.
Dec 16, 2007, 05:34 PM
gpw
gpw
Rab ,always good to keep a spare nose around with these pointy nose planes... you can see the spot where they always break /mangle /mush and having a spare on hand appeases "Murphy ",so you probably won't crash anymore anyway...

Quick Reply