Nov 08, 2007, 09:48 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Build Log

Saab Viggen

I've started work on an own design Saab Viggen wanna be. I've made a number of compromises so it will not be too scale. I have experimented with this one in the past enough to have some confidence in being able to fly it if I can get the ducting fan and power right.

I am using blue core FFF. The fan will be a GWS 55 DF powered by an hyperion y22 5000kv using a 2 cell lipo (mostly because I already have them). The span should be about twenty inches.

- Allen
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2007, 11:55 PM
Slopeosapien
I did a profile pusher Viggen earlier this year.... Could have worked well, I think, although I kinda did it wrong. Mine had huge CoG issues and I got discouraged.... Although it's still in my hobby room, awaiting a new nose and the interest to do something with it... I haven't completely given up on my "Thunderbolt" though, I guess, as I have kept it. I dunno if these will be of any use to you, a gent in another Viggen thread passed them on to me.
Nov 09, 2007, 06:40 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Rab , we built the Draken (profile...flies GREAT!!! ) and have been looking at the Vig for some time now ... we have the same plans as Jones has ... and will be watching with great interest ... Good Luck !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 09, 2007, 09:20 AM

Viggen

I did the Saab Draken & Gripen, both from FFF & both with J 250 power.
Both fly very well. You will be happy with your Viggen.
Nov 09, 2007, 09:28 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Thanks for the interest guys. This will be my second pass at this plane. My first chuck glider test was out of poster board, it was not great but encouraged me to keep trying. Next I made a simple blucor chuck glider with an 11.5 inch wing span. That one turned out to be a totally awesome glider. I still have it thinking that some time I'll have some left over micro stuff and make a pusher jet out of it.

That encouraged me to make one big enough that I could fit a fan into. Found out that I had a lot to learn about ducted fans (still do too). It was a twenty inch span, I used a gws 50 ducted fan. I really botched the ducting. It should have flown, not fast or anything but the fan itself was sufficient for flight, if I had not botched the ducting. But with the botched ducting all the power did was to extend the glide.

- Allen
Nov 09, 2007, 09:33 AM
gpw
gpw
Rab , you may just want to stick a simple motor on the back of that , just to try out ...Should fly GREAT !!! Edf's suck...unless you spend big bucks , then still not as efficient as props ...JMO
Nov 09, 2007, 08:35 PM
space1
Yes Edf's Suckes And Blows Air If You Do It Right
Nov 09, 2007, 11:15 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
gpw, you are right props are much easier to do. But I am determined to keep at this with a ducted fan till it works.

These parts are coming out of an X31 (Jetset44 design) that I built last year. That plane was a little too fast for me to fly on the fields I am flying on this year. This one should come out lighter and has more area so it should slow down better.

- Allen
Nov 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
gpw
gpw
Rab , Good Luck!!! We'll be watching...
Nov 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
space1
Series Two 2s = 4s You Said You Had On Hand. Ck Motor Spic. Or Use 3s 1350ma Or 1800ma Should Get 10 To 14 Oz Thrust Short Intake Works Best Fan Close To IntakE PS USE RECEIVER BATTER ON 4S
Nov 14, 2007, 07:35 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Some progress has occurred Here are the wings mostly prepared, the intake ducting shaped, the big part of the fuse is waiting to be shaped. Some evidence that I ripped apart the X-31 to salvage the equipment for this one. I should start shaping the fuse soon.

- Allen
Nov 15, 2007, 04:46 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Formed the big part of the fuse last night. Peeled the side that became the inside. Formed it by bending around the edge of the bench and around a suitable dowel. Then when it fit into the forms I put some PU glue on the edge and pushed the formers onto it. Used a bunch of tape to keep the edge together and to keep the glue in. Next to start blending the wings, ducts, fan into the fuse.

- Allen
Nov 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Last night I experimented with the intake ducting and the thrust tube. The numbers on the watt meter are about what I expected. 23 peak amps, 173 watts, at 7.5 volts. The final numbers should be slightly better. - Allen
Nov 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
rab
rab
Grounded in Arlington
Thread OP
Parts set up for the power test. - Allen
Nov 20, 2007, 11:31 AM
Hey Allen,

I just saw this. Good luck. It's pretty easy to bend Depron or Fanfold foam
if you just use packing tape on the outside it prevents the foam from cracking. The tape can then be remeoved when your done to save wight or you can leave it on for strength. On my F-86's and MiG's I do not use any ducting, but I usually have a cheater hole. Paper ducting can also work but if not stiffened could collapse. It may be easy to just use packing tape on the inside as a smooth surface. Looks good. Thanks again for the MiG-21 drawings.

Pete

Quick Reply