Dec 12, 2002, 12:56 PM
Thread OP

The Herr J3 Cub

Hi, Anyone out there building a Herr Cub? I am in the process of building one and it is almost finished and ready for covering. I put the wings and tail on temporally and sat it on the floor of my shop. It just does not look like a Cub the fuse is much too wide and it looks rather dumpy. Maybe once it is covered and all the details are on it, it may look a little better. But never recalled a Cub with a fat fuse, I am very disappointed in the out come. Does anyone else feel the same way about the plane? Ray Juschkus
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2002, 04:37 PM
Nope, love mine. Then again I have Snoopy as the pilot, so I guess deviations from scale don't bother me too much Of all the things that stick out as not being scale, the dihedral is the worst....surprised you didn't mention that.
Dec 13, 2002, 07:05 AM
You don't say which Herr Cub you're building..the larger or smaller one...the larger is about 42" WS. I built the larger one with floats and it is a good stand-off scale version, plus it flies really well!

Steve
Dec 13, 2002, 10:05 AM
Thread OP

The J3 Cub

This message is to R.Carver. In your reply about the Cub, you mentioned that you loved yours! Did you power yours with electric? If so may I ask what motor and prop you used? Mine is the 48" versin, I was not aware that there were different versions. I was recently in the Hospital and my friend gave it to me as a gift. He knew that I like the Cub.
So if you like the Cub, I guess it fly's very well. I just do not want to under power it, I am planing to put a Speed 480 in it for power. Do you have any suggestions. Thank you, Ray
Dec 13, 2002, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Hi Steve Gilbert,

In your reply to me you said you built the larger version of the Cub. I have the 48" version so I guess I have the larger version. Did you power yours with electric? must be tough to fly it with floats. I have never built a float plane, just too much bother. Have you any doubts about the fuselage being so wide? It looks more like a Taylorcraft then a Cub. I can't for the life of me see the reason for making it so wide. It looks like a pregnant whale. In any case I intend to finish it and hope that it fly's well. Ray
Dec 13, 2002, 11:05 AM
Ray:

It uses a Multiplex 400 (same as Graupner) with an Olympus gear drive - not sure of Ratio...around 2.5:1...bought from Hobby Lobby. Flies great on wheels, but have a bit of balance problem with the floats, needs to have c.g. moved a bit forward. Herr floats are really simple and fun to build, plus they look great.

480 would certainly be fine, prop I use is a 9x5 SLIM. And remember that Mr. Taylor designed the Cub!

Steve
Dec 13, 2002, 11:30 AM
Thread OP

J-3 Cub

Hi Steve, Thanks for the info, but don't you find the fuselage a bit too wide? To me it just does not look like a J-3 Cub! Have you ever seen a Cub with that wide a fuse? Ray

Quick Reply