Nov 08, 2007, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Standard J-1 @ 60"

Well, Here we go into the second "Micro Giant". At 60" span, the J-1 will be giant scale legal, but at a projected flying weight of 24 oz. should be a terrific Park Flyer too.

The Standard J-1, though similar to the Jenny, was a completely different airplane. With it's swept wing and broad gap, the J-1 was reputed to be an excellant training airplane.

The early J-1's were powered by a 100 HP Hall-Scott 4 cylinder inline engine which was reputed to be underpowered and unreliable. Later, a few were equipped with Hispana-Suiza's , and eventually Curtiss OX-5's and OX-6's.

So, with parts and plans in hand, let's get started.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Nov 08, 2007 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2007, 08:31 AM
Thread OP

Bowing the Outlines

I like to start the build by getting the bowed outlines layed up so that when framing starts, there's no hold up.
Nov 08, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thread OP

Framing Begins With the Bottom Wing

The bottom wing was done first. Since there's no ailerons the wing goes together quickly. Hard points for the wingtip skids and interplane struts are built into the rib and spar intersections.

The upper and lower wing assemblies will plug into the fuselage, so the aluminum reciever tubes were added at the two root ribs.

PAT
Nov 08, 2007, 09:15 AM
Pat, you're killing me............. :-)
When do you sleep? This obsessive disorder must be addressed & treated. Now I need to go place a nice big order for some more balsa just to try & stay close to your building pace!
This is going to one lovely aircraft. Thanks for all you do for us!

Dale
Nov 08, 2007, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Dale, Sleep?? What's that??? Only kidding of course. Actually, I just like to watch you guys suffer OK, so I'm kidding again.

Truth is, this one has been on the drawing board for awhile, and I'm just now getting started with the build-- too many interuptions from other more pressing projects. Meanwhile, it's already promised for publication so you'll have some time to get the Jenny together before this one bobs back to the surface.

PAT
Nov 08, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'll be interested in this one, Pat, as I have had a slightly smaller, (and heavier) version slowly building the past couple of years. It is covered with Polyspan and dope and ready for colour. Must get back to it!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=Standard+J1

Martin
Nov 08, 2007, 12:25 PM
One cell short of a Pack
ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not finished with my Tritle Spacewalker yet and have "other" Tritles' behind it even!

Well, I am subscribed....count me in on one when when they are ready I think I am going to have a section of my garage solely dedicated to Pat's models....

And to think, I was really debating about ordering the B-17 too!
Nov 08, 2007, 12:54 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Very nice, put me down for one when the time comes. Sigh, just another Pat Tritle design to add to the build list.

Working on the DC-6, going well.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Nov 09, 2007 at 01:40 PM.
Nov 09, 2007, 01:27 PM
Pat,

Sure glad to see that you are designing some of these old biplanes in the larger sizes. Besides supposedly flying better than some of the smaller ones, they are easier to see, and have more "presence" in the air.

I've been eyeing the Jenny, but will definitely have to have the Standard when it becomes available.

Only problem is, my building has come to a "slowdown", lately, but maybe I'll get on a surge soon, now that winter is coming!

Following this one with interest!

AmpAce
Nov 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the wings

Moving on to the top wing, framing is similar to the bottom, but with the addition of the aileron. The rear spar is capped to add a bit of beef for hinging, and the servo box is worked in as an integral part of the interplane strut mount.
Nov 13, 2007, 09:26 AM
Thread OP

The wings are framed and ready to go

The second panel was framed just like the first. The center section was built next, and the whole assembly plugged together. After working on a couple smaller projects for awhile the wing assembly seams HUGE! With all that area, the J-1 should be a real floater.

From here, it's onto the tail section.

PAT
Nov 15, 2007, 11:57 AM
Thread OP

Framing the vertical and horizontal stabs

The rudder and elevator assemblies are together now, just need to finish sand, than it's onto the fuselage.

PAT
Dec 02, 2007, 11:16 AM
Thread OP

Building the Fuselage

The fuselage frames were built and assembled directly over the plans. Machinists squares were used to keep the big pieces nice and square during the assembly process.
Dec 02, 2007, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Setting up the Motor Mount

The motor mount is set up for the Tower Pro 1000KV Outrunner. The forward fuselage is a bit cramped for space, so the mount is built up first, then the two front formers glued in place. Once that's in, it's back to the tail to add the formers, lower cross pieces and stringers.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 02, 2007 at 12:03 PM.
Dec 02, 2007, 12:07 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the motor and servos

The servo rails were glued into the fuselage and the Pull/Pu// cable bellcrank assembly built up and glued in place. The elevator will be driven with a pushrod and the scale cables set up, but won't be functional. The rudder will use cables.

Quick Reply