Saturn Sailplanes Owners thread - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2007, 11:14 AM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
Discussion

Saturn Sailplanes Owners thread

Mike Williams made a suggestion to me, and I thought it would be fun.

A thread for Saturn owners and former owners, and anyone else interested.

I produced Saturn Sailplanes from 1991-1997, when I unfortunately experienced a string of personal issues that made it impossible to keep the business alive. I had a great time designing, building, marketing and flying. I had the good fortune to meet flyers from all over the US, and from overseas as well. Attached are a couple of photos that I took for advertising. The red plane is a Saturn 3.0, the first product I sold. It had bagged glass and carbon wings and 36" long, 3/4" diameter wing rod. The colorful one is a Saturn 2.9T. This example was built by Steve Clasen, Lodi, Ca. The 2.9T was the most successful plane I built, with many contest wins to it's credit, including the 1993 Mid South Soaring championships at Huntsville, AL. It had obechi skinned white foam wings, with glass and carbon and the same 36" wing rod. The blue/white plane is the 2.2E, my electric. 80" span, three piece obechi sheeted wing.

I look forward to hearing fom you all.

David Layne
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2007, 01:15 PM
Balsa breaks better
I wish they were still availible.

Joe
Nov 06, 2007, 01:21 PM
You looking at me?
The electric version looks sweet! Same airfoil as the bigger ones?

Ed
Nov 06, 2007, 02:08 PM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
Joe,
I wish I had the time to produce some, it would be fun. I still have the molds for most of them. Unfortunately, these days time for me is really at a premium.

Ed,

All but one of my designs used Quabeck airfoils. The 3.0 used the 2.5/9 (that reads 2.5% camber, 9% thickness), the 2.9T and the 2.2E used the 2.0/9 transitioned to 2.0/8. The 2 meter used the 3.0/9 transioned to 3.0/8. The Saturn Hand Launch(pre discus launch, sport flyer) used an Eppler 387, Brian Agnew's favorite.

I did quite a bit of testing with different airfoils while I was in production, and found the Quabeck airfoils to be more versatile than most others. If I were to update any of them today, I would use the newer HQW versions of Quabeck's airfoils. He designed all of his airfoils specifically for camber changing, and they handle it very smoothly.

David
Nov 06, 2007, 02:52 PM
You looking at me?
Thanks David for the info. Too bad you don't have time to bring back the line, it would sell well in todays market. I always thought the super long wing rod was cool! The good old days......

Ed
Nov 06, 2007, 03:46 PM
I agree with Ed, it would be great to have these back. But as the father of a 9 year old son and 3 year old twin daughters, I can fully appreciate the time issue.

Although I'd have to add that all the chatter about bring back these "old" designs would probably get me more motivated to fly more than I do now.

Need to see if I can dig up some pictures of my 2.9T and 2 meter Saturns.

John Ihlein
Albuqurque, NM
Nov 06, 2007, 04:51 PM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
John,

I'd love to see photos of your Saturns. I'm going to start a collection of them, just for fun.

Talk about time problems and kids, my boys are 12 and 14, with many obligations, Band, Orchestra, Youth Symphony, Little League, Chess Club, etc.

My younger Son is learning to fly with me, so that makes it a little easier to get out to the flying field. I did manage to go to Visalia this year for the first time in 11 years. It was great fun, I flew my 13 year old Saturns. The planes were more competitive than I was, but overall I did well, and saw a bunch of old friends.

David
Nov 06, 2007, 04:54 PM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
Oh, and here is the photo of Mike William's friend's Saturn 2.9T that got me spun up to do this thread.

David
Nov 06, 2007, 05:58 PM
Here's my Saturn 2.9T, the red one, and Bruce Twinning's, the yellow one. These were 1st generation, full flying stab versions.

John
Nov 06, 2007, 07:24 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
David,
here's another picture of my friend's Saturn that he debuted last weekend. I wish I could take credit for the pictures, But Wayne in our group took both the shots. I'll see if he has a few more to pass on.

Mike W
Nov 06, 2007, 07:34 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Oh, and another club member's Saturn 2.0

Mike W
Nov 06, 2007, 07:35 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
Never owned a Saturn but got to fly one a few times in the '90's. Great plane! I've got a Saturn handlaunch kit that came in a garage sale type deal. With this thread started I guess I'll be forced to add it to the winter build list.

It will be a few days till I can get across town to where I have some kits stored but I'll bring it home and take some photos of the kit to add to this thread.
Nov 06, 2007, 10:00 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thanks DLD for putting my bird on a thread. I was wondering if I would ever see those pictures.

Charlie
Nov 06, 2007, 10:16 PM
Glider Geek!
Dave,

Those are some nice shots of your designs. You designed some really nice looking airplanes. I like gliders with some shape and not just a broomstick with a wing bolted on top. They look good!

Shawn
Nov 07, 2007, 10:43 AM
DLD
DLD
David Layne
My pleasure, Charlie. It looks really pretty in the air. It really makes me feel good to know that there are still Saturns out there being built and flown.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Turbulence
Thanks DLD for putting my bird on a thread. I was wondering if I would ever see those pictures.

Charlie