Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
That's it - I want one

And I haven't even finished my UAVP build yet
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2007, 09:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks to Mike for the great info & demonstration. I emailed Mike @ Spectrosolution a couple of days ago for a unit of the PWB but so far did not get any response from him. anyone else have better luck ?

Regards,
Joe Ling
Malaysia
Nov 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
Dammar now has a special webpage for the PWB used in the 1000mm Custom Quad copter:

Brushless Controller Board

You will want to select the large diameter frame if you want to build the same size as the one discussed in this thread (approximately 330 mm from the center). The small frame is for motors spaced approximately 230 mm from the center.

Mike
Last edited by Old Man Mike; Nov 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Nov 14, 2007, 12:10 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice. I have just made a pre-order for 1 unit of the PWB but I guess USD5.00 shipping to Malaysia won't be enough. I will have to contact Mike @ spectrosolutions for some additional shipping costs. I have a mikrokopter-like frame lying around. I think I will try to use that :

These are 270mm from the center though.

I will probably use these motors from himodel. They are 1000K/V types for USD15 a piece :

When using 9X5 3 bladed props from GWS, I get this sort of peformance. The all in weight for the model used in this test i around 1.2kg. The flight consisted of mostly hovering around :

I have some spare esc from failed experiments :

So, hopefully, when the PWB arrivs, I can make something work. Thanks again to Mike for your help.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Nov 14, 2007, 01:09 AM
Yet another flying K1W1
Mike,

Do I understand correctly that we must use the specified ESC and motors?

Thanks
Colin.
Nov 14, 2007, 01:26 AM
Quad Crash Test Pilot
Mike,
When designing our frames, do we need to make any special accomodations to take advantage of the TI feature? I want to design some type of protection for the electronics, but am not sure if there are material type limitations that would interfere with the TI.
Nov 14, 2007, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeling
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice. I have just made a pre-order for 1 unit of the PWB but I guess USD5.00 shipping to Malaysia won't be enough. I will have to contact Mike @ spectrosolutions for some additional shipping costs. I have a mikrokopter-like frame lying around. I think I will try to use that :

These are 270mm from the center though.

I will probably use these motors from himodel. They are 1000K/V types for USD15 a piece :

When using 9X5 3 bladed props from GWS, I get this sort of peformance. The all in weight for the model used in this test i around 1.2kg. The flight consisted of mostly hovering around :

I have some spare esc from failed experiments :
So, hopefully, when the PWB arrivs, I can make something work. Thanks again to Mike for your help.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Excellent work, Joe!

Your hovering power appears to be around 145 watts for the 42 ounces which is about the same I am getting when testing at that weight (as shown on my power chart). That is quite impressive with a three blade prop. It appears you must have an almost perfect match with the 1000 kv motor. It would be helpful if you could also plot watts on the chart since it is easier to compare systems.

I've seen pictures of that frame and have always admired the construction. It is really a work of art. I assume you ordered the small frame PWB.

Mike
Nov 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41south
Mike,

Do I understand correctly that we must use the specified ESC and motors?

Thanks
Colin.
I've tested several different motors and ESCs and they have all worked. That does not mean that all ESCs and motors will work. The ones I listed are very low cost and have excellent performance but you can certainly try what you have. Just remember that this is an experimenter's board and using different motors and ESCs would certainly be experimental. Of course, that is the fun of experimenting, eh?

Mike
Nov 14, 2007, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikro
Mike,
When designing our frames, do we need to make any special accomodations to take advantage of the TI feature? I want to design some type of protection for the electronics, but am not sure if there are material type limitations that would interfere with the TI.
Yes, you must allow the 4 sensors on the top PWB to have a good view. For example, the small aluminum roll cage I use nicely allows a clear view between the straps.

You should be able to use any material as long as the sensors can see past them.

Mike
Nov 14, 2007, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike
Yes, you must allow the 4 sensors on the top PWB to have a good view. For example, the small aluminum roll cage I use nicely allows a clear view between the straps.

You should be able to use any material as long as the sensors can see past them.

Mike
Hi, again Mike from that persistent (Old Ted) in UK

One of the questions I had was already answered ie the choice of brushless motors and escs but the other problem with the radio which I thought I had overcome by obtaining a 72 mhz transmitter has now confused me because on Mike Dammars site he states that a 6 channel transitter is required to alter the infra red gain or similar and the 72 mhz transmitter I obtained is only 4 channel.
Is it absolutely necessary or would you recommend me trying to change the 72 mhz receiver to 35 mhz and use my 6 channel transmitter?

Ted
Nov 14, 2007, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto
Hi, again Mike from that persistent (Old Ted) in UK

One of the questions I had was already answered ie the choice of brushless motors and escs but the other problem with the radio which I thought I had overcome by obtaining a 72 mhz transmitter has now confused me because on Mike Dammars site he states that a 6 channel transitter is required to alter the infra red gain or similar and the 72 mhz transmitter I obtained is only 4 channel.
Is it absolutely necessary or would you recommend me trying to change the 72 mhz receiver to 35 mhz and use my 6 channel transmitter?

Ted
Ted,

Yes, you need to have 6 channels. The first four are the normal ones you need to fly. The 5th channel turns the TI function on or off. The 6th channel is used to set the TI gain (you need to be able to set it to a little below midpoint). If you already have a 6 channel transmitter for 35 mhz, I would certainly investigate if you can do the simple modification to the receiver to bring out the composite PWM signals. The other option is to spend the $160 for the Futaba Transmitter.

And note that it is best to have an analog knob on the transmitter to adjust the channel 6 setting. Although you could probably program other 6 channel, 72 mhz transmitters to put out a specific setting, it is much better to be able to turn the knob for most stable TI performance.

Mike

Mike
Nov 14, 2007, 05:24 AM
Honey,just one more thing
What are you getting differently when ordering the unit with the different frame sizes? The props? If so, are those the ones that are used? Bud
Nov 14, 2007, 12:34 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
Quote:
I've tested several different motors and ESCs and they have all worked. That does not mean that all ESCs and motors will work. The ones I listed are very low cost and have excellent performance but you can certainly try what you have. Just remember that this is an experimenter's board and using different motors and ESCs would certainly be experimental. Of course, that is the fun of experimenting, eh?

Thanks for that Mike, it seems contrary to what Dammar says on his web site

Quote:
It will not work with standard motors, nor will it run servos.
and
Quote:
It will ONLY work with the described speed controllers, motors, and frame size.
I guess by standard motors he means brushed?

It looks like a list of tried (and confirmed as either a go or no go) ESC's, and maybe motors too, would be good.

Colin.
Last edited by 41south; Nov 14, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Nov 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
Can I also ask - how critical is the motor spacing for the "larger" frame. My UAVP frame is 530mm from one motor center to another motor center. I think it would be pretty easy to add in some extensions if required. I will maybe order a second one to play with this design

Thanks again
Colin.
Nov 14, 2007, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike
Ted,

Yes, you need to have 6 channels. The first four are the normal ones you need to fly. The 5th channel turns the TI function on or off. The 6th channel is used to set the TI gain (you need to be able to set it to a little below midpoint). If you already have a 6 channel transmitter for 35 mhz, I would certainly investigate if you can do the simple modification to the receiver to bring out the composite PWM signals. The other option is to spend the $160 for the Futaba Transmitter.

And note that it is best to have an analog knob on the transmitter to adjust the channel 6 setting. Although you could probably program other 6 channel, 72 mhz transmitters to put out a specific setting, it is much better to be able to turn the knob for most stable TI performance.

Mike

Mike
Hi, Mike
Thanks for the explanation - I understand the technicalities and the reason for the 6 channels.
The Hitec transmitter when delved into the computer part on channel 6 has provision for altering the output from 0 - 100% so that seems OK - it's just finding out how to get a "PWM"? signal from the 35mhz receiver in question so that the 72 mhz receiver can be replaced. As aside it seems as though all of a sudden I have come "full circle" as it were because when the machine kit (XUFO) I bought from the German guys came out it was (and at present STILL IS!) only available using a German 35 mhz ACT receiver and the guys from USA have had to replace these with 72 mhz Berg receivers!
What a crazy world we live in!
Ted