Aug 27, 2008, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy_001
Simply fantastic Mike, you continue to raise the bar. Could you show some detail shots of the camera mount (when you get a chance). I've gone through about 6 revisions and can't get one that I'm pleased with. Guess it's time to tug on the hem of the wise one.

Also, what motor/prop combination are you currently using? Considering your recent encounters with the EPP1245 props.
Greg
Thanks, Greg and everyone else for the nice comments. I received a request to put the video on vimeo since the direct download is so large:

Backyard Deer followed by FPV Quad (1 min 6 sec)

I was using the 1045/-09 combination as shown in the OMM Rev2 design on the index page. I've not been able to get the 1245/DT combination to perform quite as well in the vibration area but I think it has potential. As for the mount, I am still using a large pool noodle foam with some soft foam mounted around it. Here is a video I was going to include in an upcoming chapter which should answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodAholic
what post was it about the new or older board to order? and the main diferences? anyone know?
Hi ClodAholic,

A detail review and discussion about the old vs new board is linked from the first page index. Look under the "Building and Flying" section in the PWB Details area (the review is highlighted in Red).

OMM
Last edited by Old Man Mike; Aug 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2008, 02:59 PM
. . . gravity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike
Thanks, Greg and everyone else for the nice comments . . . As for the mount, I am still using a large pool noodle foam with some soft foam mounted around it.
OMM
Thanks Mike. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video clip leaves little room for questions . I've tried replicating your foam mount, but as I have come to realize the best mount in the world is useless until you eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the aircraft vibration. I think I was just lucky to get a really stable platform and simple "bent aluminum stick" camera mount that functioned so well. It's a shame that particular quad decided to have an argument with a brick building . I haven't been able to get a platform as stable since then . . . but I'm still working on it.

Quote:
I was using the 1045/-09 combination as shown in the OMM Rev2 design on the index page. I've not been able to get the 1245/DT combination to perform quite as well in the vibration area but I think it has potential.
OMM
With regard to the motor/prop combination: Has anyone tested the 3 blade HD9050 props in conjunction with the DT700 motors? I know the efficiency was less than the 1045 when using the TP2410-09 motors, but what about with the new DT700 motors? Just asking because I've seen those 3 blade props and they are really beefed up compared to the props we are currently using. Of course, they are also pretty heavy .

Greg
Aug 27, 2008, 03:11 PM
Destroyer of G-10
I just flew 15 min during lunch hour with 20+ mph gusting wind. man, this is stable. you can see the gyro fighting the wind as small amplitude oscillation. (barely noticeable) just very cool. lot of fun to show off. gave a friend a chance to fly and he thing it is very cool. (he used to fly heli as well, so it came naturally to him) doing slow piro was tough as i am not as solid in holding position in wind nose in so I was drifting a fair amount.

so far, I have about 1hour on my set of 1245. just very good flying. I have tiny bit of buzz in one of my blade, so I will check it out later tonight.
Aug 27, 2008, 03:46 PM

New Builder

Mike,

First of all, Thanks for all the hard work and information. I ordered everything to build a replica of your copter today. I plan on doing fpv mostly, but that
deer video has me pondering a cam as well.

I have been flying the wings off of my fpv easyglider for two seasons now. Although i wouldn't say i'm getting bored i do have the itch to fly something different and fly places that are not possible by plane.

nothing to do now but sit back and wait for parts to start rolling in.

--Tim
Aug 27, 2008, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman
I just flew 15 min during lunch hour with 20+ mph gusting wind.
Anyone who claims wind above 10 mph is required to show the anemometer reading

Rusty (almost finished with right elevator)
Aug 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
To OMM or anyone who feels like chiming in...

$500 is the target price for the basics from page one...plus your own Tx I understand.
But as far as FPV and OSD capabilities, what kind of extra cash to get quality and performance like we are seeing from your rig? I don't remember but are there full specs for all the FPV/OSD stuff on page one? I am trying to come up with some dollar figures so when I go begging for money, I have an idea of what it will cost to get in the air with the best system.
Thanks!

Allen
Aug 27, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi 13brv3

I tend to agree with you. I have been flying just about all types of models aircraft and helicopters for over 30 years, and in any wind above 10mph the Kquad is a handful requiring very rapid corrections, and it tends to drift downwind needing strong application of power to just hold position, and even then its rising and falling 15 - 20 feet at a time as the wind gusts.

Regards
Nex
Aug 27, 2008, 04:46 PM
Giant Scale Nut!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
Anyone who claims wind above 10 mph is required to show the anemometer reading

Rusty (almost finished with right elevator)
Alright as his witness here is the report smarty pants!!

It was blowin' like mad!!! Askman let me fly it at lunch in the blowin wind, well just hovering, but it wasn't too bad at all...

Devin
Last edited by flynz4me; Aug 27, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Aug 27, 2008, 04:51 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!

New Draganflyer sextocopter

Now we know what Mike Dammer has been up to lately...
Look Ma! No TI!! CF Blades!(Yikes! Are those O-rings holding I see holding on those blades??) and frame! GPS! Hi-Tech Controller with 2-way data! 25 minute lipo flight time! Camera options! Will fly with one motor out! VERY N_I_C_E!!!Be sure to watch the videos.
Cost? You have to request it...I'm sure it is out of my hobby budget
http://www.draganfly.com/uav-helicop...r-x6/features/
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 27, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Aug 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
Destroyer of G-10
industrial. my guess is 15 to 20k price tag. I do like the dual rot concept. but in reality, does not do much more than most quad.(like the folding arms though) do like the redudancy feature about motor failure flight. (but I've seen octo do the same with mk controller) anyway, always nice to see new concepts.

I've flown in gusting wind a lot with small helis, so it does not bother me. frankly, quad is easier than most heli that I've flown in wind, and no question for sure in this size class. lot less up/down due to smaller disc area.(higher disk loading) disk size of 226 sq" with 4-12" blade vs 340sq" for something like trex 450 w 335mm blade. I mean it would drift if you were up on top of it, but was not bad at all.
Last edited by askman; Aug 27, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Aug 27, 2008, 05:59 PM
Quote:
OK. I don't know if Andre has had any experience with the Spectrolution board using the recommended motor, escs and props. That frame is larger than I would recommend for 1045 props. Normal spacing would be 660 mm (330 mm to center). Yaw becomes more difficult as you go further out from the center. I don't know anyone that has tried a frame that large with 1045 props and perhaps it is outside the range of the Spectrolution controller. Even with 12 inch props I would recommend going no larger than 840 mm (420 mm to center). By the way, 1245 props with the DT700 motors are absolutely stable in Yaw, Pitch and Roll at the 420 mm to center spacing.

It is also possible that the last production run had some problems. I had heard that he ran out and had to make another run. Please keep us informed.

OMM
I am awaiting my board and there is a delay. Some boards had to be sent back due to some quality issue which needed to be reworked. Mike mentioned my order would be delayed for several more days. Hope I don't experience any quality issues or problems. I will build an OMM stock copter.
Aug 27, 2008, 06:10 PM
Suspended Account
where do we buy the board and prices??
Aug 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4me
Alright as his witness here is the report smarty pants!!

I would believe this report

I'm messing with you of course, but Seriously, wind is one of those things that's difficult to report accurately, and it's mostly because we have no real feel for it. Very few people get the chance to measure the wind where they're standing, so they know what 10mph really feels like.

I've seen some classic videos where the guy tells you the wind is 30 mph, but the tree in the background isn't moving at all. Maybe somebody should tell the tree

Rusty (Davis Vantage Pro2 in my yard, and Kestral 1000 in the FPV box)

PS, the new Dammar copter is pretty cool, though I wouldn't even bother to ask the price.
Aug 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Clod,
This forum can move pretty fast, so you do have to read back abit. Mike answered you in post#2941. Click on the X above the traffic counter at the bottom of the page to get to the $399 DF Experimental board: http://www.spectrolutions.com/
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodAholic
where do we buy the board and prices??
Aug 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Hi Clod,
This forum can move pretty fast, so you do have to read back abit. Mike answered you in post#2941. Click on the X above the traffic counter at the bottom of the page to get to the $399 DF Experimental board: http://www.spectrolutions.com/
Cheers,
Jim
I was hoping he would use the index.

OMM