Nov 05, 2007, 01:22 PM
wac
wac
Thread OP
Discussion

Fox News story and the FAA -update- GOOD NEWS!!

Hello All,

I have received a lot of question and comments regarding the Fox News feature story and the possibility of any repercussions to my company.

I called the FAA Headquarters in Washington D.C. and was directed to the Northwest Mountain Regional office and spoke Mike Fergus -Communication and Media Director for the Northwest region.

I explained to Mike that Fox News had just shot a feature story on my company and I wanted to make absolute sure that I was in FULL COMPLIANCE with the FAA.
I told Mike my Company does not fly over 300feet AGL at anytime and that if he look at my web site, he could see that every picture or video was shot well below 300feet.
I spoke with Mike for about 20 minutes and explained to him our industry the different parts of it. When I started to explain that some are using Unmanned AUTO PILOT type system and flying beyond visual range and above 300feet AGL. He was quick to point out that using any unmanned auto pilot system, flying beyond 300feet AGL (some cases) 500 AGL is Illegal and has to be registered. But for what I am doing and using, my company is in full compliance. YEAH!!!!!!!

After talking with Mike we both wanted to be absolute sure so he transferred me to the "Flight Standards Division" where I spoke to TWO inspectors that basically stated " I have nothing to worry about, if I keep my aerial platforms below 300feet agl" Also, after explaining my company and a quick examination of my web site, I am in FULL compliance with all FAA regs.. YEAH!!!!
I hope this helps people understand where the FAA had regulation and where they don’t...
When calling the FAA, I did get the run around a little because I was basically demanding to speak with someone that could give me an answer. It did take about an Hour of playing phone tag and transfers, but once I got connected to the people that could make the decisions, they were very nice and seemed to almost be pushing for the LOW LEVEL AERIAL RC industry, where the FAA would not be affected in any way..
Also they seemed pretty excited to see the story on Fox…

wac
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2007, 01:43 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Did you get it in writing ?

Adam
Nov 05, 2007, 01:45 PM
Wac,

Now THAT is good news! Bravo for doing the due dilligence and valuable words from the FAA.

Tom
Nov 05, 2007, 02:37 PM
wac
wac
Thread OP
The writing is in the regulations of the FAA.. I dont think they would give me a piece of paper that saying. "since your company does not fall under our jurisdiction, we have no authority to regulate it"

Like i said before, if i do not interfeer with FAA airspace and pay attention to the rules then i am in full compliance
Nov 05, 2007, 02:41 PM
Not THAT Ira
I suspect now that this is posted Mr. Fergus is about to have a very bad day at work.

Ira
Nov 05, 2007, 02:48 PM
Free Flying
Is 300 ft. AGL a newly released federal regulation? The 1981 AC I have says 400 ft. AGL.
Nov 05, 2007, 02:51 PM
wac
wac
Thread OP
Why would you say that??? He only told me the truth... I was supprised how easy it was to get a real answer and it seems like most people know that it is ok to fly but try and discourage other because of their own personal gain..

If i stay below FAA regulated air space then i have nothing to worry about. Its like the COAST GUARD trying to give me a ticket for speeding on the Highway
Nov 05, 2007, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac
If i stay below FAA regulated air space then i have nothing to worry about. Its like the COAST GUARD trying to give me a ticket for speeding on the Highway
I wouldn't say it's like that. I would say it's part of the FAA's intentions for what's to be clarified. If the FAA thought you were an issue at 50ft, they would go after you.
Nov 05, 2007, 03:39 PM
wac
wac
Thread OP
That is very true, i glad that i was able to speak to the people incharge directly. That way they know me by name and that i am making every effort to comply with their rules.
Nov 05, 2007, 03:57 PM
Wac, thanks for the update and the info...much appreciated!
Nov 05, 2007, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakstang
Wac, thanks for the update and the info...much appreciated!
Again, I second this.
Nov 05, 2007, 04:28 PM
Not THAT Ira
Ditto, and i hope my comment didn't sound like a lack of appreciation.

I am just recalling a similar event awhile back and the official involved got a royal a** chewing. (please don't grill me for details)

Ira
Nov 05, 2007, 10:00 PM
The way I see it........we're being dealt a double standard here. Some people are OK, while many others are not.

The root question is WHY one individual is OK over another individual. Or further... why one individual is OK, and not one law enforcement agency is not!

I have sent WAC the list of AIR 160 personnel and their numbers and encouraged him to call and ask them. Meantime, we'll all wait here patiently.......

Gene
Nov 05, 2007, 10:21 PM
Free Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer
The way I see it........we're being dealt a double standard here. Some people are OK, while many others are not.

The root question is WHY one individual is OK over another individual. Or further... why one individual is OK, and not one law enforcement agency is not!

I have sent WAC the list of AIR 160 personnel and their numbers and encouraged him to call and ask them. Meantime, we'll all wait here patiently.......

Gene
If we KNOW that the reg is under 300 AGL, why not just continue on with our business? If someone has an issue with it, let them produce the document showing the accused infraction?
Nov 05, 2007, 10:30 PM
Quote:
The way I see it........we're being dealt a double standard here. Some people are OK, while many others are not. The root question is WHY one individual is OK over another individual. ...
It's not the people, not the individuals (except someone like jettpilot). It's the vehicle, scale of operations, and area of operations.

Quote:
Or further... why one individual is OK, and not one law enforcement agency is not! Gene
If you're saying that not one law enforcement agency has permission or all are being blocked, this is incorrect.

Also, for your operations you're asking for official blessing rather than a shrug of shoulders.

So I think.
Tom

Quick Reply