Nov 05, 2007, 01:09 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Build Log

Art Tech F4-U Corsair ARF Warbird...Video test flight reports added!

I took receipt of my new Corsair from Hobby City today,it arrived in very good condition directly from China,very well packed.

I took all the parts out,and thought I'd share a prelimanary look with you all,so you can see what you get/are getting into.

I like the scale outline of this model,the reason pretty much which made me decide to buy one.

The finish is 'okay' is the best description I can offer,about 7/10 marks,but am,all the same,happy with that.
A couple of minor issues, the pilot seat is doing it's own thing in there,and one aileron looks a little off the level, but both can be easily remedied.

To get this how I want it, I need to open up the battery compasrtment to take a 3s 2100,and I am not too sure about the motor,so might possibly be upgrading that too, but I'll try it first.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the model for the money,it looks good and is pretty big at 39" wingspan.

I won't be using the undercarriage at all,plus I probably will use a 2 blade prop rather than the(very nice looking) 3 blader supplied -well,two 3 bladers supplied actually!

I'd like to have got this unpainted,but might at some point,following testing in the air,sand and repaint,although the supplied finish is passable for now.

I won't be bothering with retracts at all, it will be a belly flopper,I'm sure it will look great in the sky!

Initial impressions? I'm pleased with my purchase.

I was going to weigh it,but wifey has 'mislaid' my scales...
Last edited by Matt Halton; Feb 18, 2008 at 05:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2007, 01:25 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Interesting purchase Matt. Do you think you'll cover it when you spray a-la Mustang stlye? it looks like it might well benifit from it.

BTW did you get a chance to print the test out?

Stuart.
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Nov 05, 2007, 01:30 PM
3DHS Junkie
what was the going price for the arf.--Is your a arf of rtf?
Nov 05, 2007, 02:46 PM
The art of Crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Overall, I'm very pleased with the model for the money,it looks good and is pretty big at 48" wingspan.
48"...not 39"? Looks pretty good.
Nov 05, 2007, 03:11 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Had a brain fart- thought I'd read 48 ins-but rechecked the specs.is actually 39 2/5" Still, it givesan overall impresion of 'big'.-Whoops!!

I just wish they'd supply or offer the kit without paint for us modders,so yeah,I'll need to sand it all off and would prefer to cover with good ole silkspan and WBPU.

Stuart-I'm taking the stang into work tonight to paint the underwing stripes,will also use the pc and printer to check the print size.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll let you know!
Please email me your addres for the airbrush.

Anyone know what KV motors are supplied in these kits? I assume it's the same motor fitted to their Mustang?

800mZero This is how it's supplied,ARF, includes all servos and battery,motor,ESC.
I paid $87 from Hobby City, but think it has gone up in price a little since I ordered mine.
Last edited by Matt Halton; Nov 05, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Nov 05, 2007, 08:37 PM
Looks nice.

Is the tail wheel free wheeling or steerable?

Are all fins screwed into place or do you need to use any glue to assemble the plane?
Last edited by shschon; Nov 05, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
Nov 05, 2007, 11:07 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
shschon.
I'll check tomorrow for you,am at work right now, it looked steerable,but I might be wrong..No glue required anywhere.
Tail parts are all screwed in place.

Matt
Nov 06, 2007, 01:16 AM
Could you show some pictures with details on the battery compartment mod? Looks like the smaller battery fits into the little hatch near the cowl. I'd be surprised if you could squeeze a larger battery through there.
Nov 06, 2007, 02:03 AM
Dig it up, we'll fix it..
Wow! I want one... The Corsair has always been my favorite, but most of the foamies just don't look right. This one looks nice.

Could you get a shot of the prop next time you have your camera out?

Cheers,

Mike
Nov 06, 2007, 07:57 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
Do they have one that says Marines on the wing and Navy on the fuse?
Nov 06, 2007, 09:45 AM
What stalls falls

Steerable Tail Wheel-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
shschon.
I'll check tomorrow for you,am at work right now, it looked steerable,but I might be wrong..No glue required anywhere.
Tail parts are all screwed in place.

Matt
In the on line manuel I downloaded it shows the linkage from the servo to the tail wheel so it must be steerable. Even if it is not it would be easy to make it steerable.

Link to on line manuel.

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/download.asp
Nov 06, 2007, 09:55 AM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Yes,it's no scale scheme,but the model has good scale outlines and sections.
The wing is thicker than the e-flite P-47,and around the same size overall.

I'm going to repaint mine with something more suitable after I test fly it.

I might steal the power system from my old P-47,as it has tons of power from the Cobri box nd Mega 15/15/4 motor.

I'll make a new battery tray to use a 3s2100 as I start modding,pics will flow.

It has great potential for a cheap airframe!

BTW The tailwheel is already linked to the rudder servo,so is already steerable.
Nov 06, 2007, 03:23 PM
Classic jets rule
At last a corsair that i could see! thanks Matt for the info and pic's .What size and pitch is the prop? standing by for flight report...yea good i dea to paint it later...where did they getr that color ....it can't be scale .
Nov 06, 2007, 03:56 PM

Belly landing

Matt,

Could you bring the camera down to the front at fuse at eye level and take a picture of the plane with the wing on? I am concerned about where the touchdown points are going to be and the servos arms/controls horns when belly landing. Wing skids might be needed to keep from belly landing damage. She's pretty and if she flys great, looks to be a keeper.

TIA
Nov 06, 2007, 04:22 PM
Interesting

Quick Reply