Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 09, 2013, 10:41 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Brent Slensker's Avatar
I CAN'T wait to wrap mine around a tree too!
I was looking through my spares drawers and noticed I have three tail wheels from the other Corsairs in there. I have one repaired again and one on the way....
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
Registered User

Tree


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers
I took off today and just one lap around the field I knew I shouldn't be up there. It got so overcast I was having trouble seeing it and losing orientation. So I swing wide to come in to land and fly right into the back of a tree. I must have hit the last top 5 feet of this huge tree. Oh well. Gorilla glue time.
Wow, that is not good. I notice your plane has number 86 on it, and it is broken in the same place as the #19s were breaking right in front of the pilot. Is your plane the new EPO Version 2?

BTW... my DSM Supercub has been sitting at the top of a 70 foot tree for over a month. It was a perfect landing at the top so she can sit and look all around the town.. Bet she has a great view. After numerous attempts to get it down, i have given up. Even strong winds didnt get her down

Oh well, time to move on to new and better planes like the F4U. Busy weekend lined up so it will be next week before I get a chance to take her for her maiden flight.
Jan 10, 2013, 10:23 PM
Registered User
Oldsneakers.. from what I have seen, everything is repairable on these planes.. except for that... errrrrr SHARKBITE on your wing.. donno how you would fix that.

Looks like a good time for a great story of flying low and buzzing sharks over the Pacific and how one of them got a quick snack, but didnt get the whole meal.
Jan 10, 2013, 10:26 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers
I took off today and just one lap around the field I knew I shouldn't be up there. It got so overcast I was having trouble seeing it and losing orientation. So I swing wide to come in to land and fly right into the back of a tree. I must have hit the last top 5 feet of this huge tree. Oh well. Gorilla glue time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker
I CAN'T wait to wrap mine around a tree too!
I was looking through my spares drawers and noticed I have three tail wheels from the other Corsairs in there. I have one repaired again and one on the way....
Awesome Brent. Hope it comes in soon!..
I did all the upgrades so far on mine.
Took out the weight
Taped X's on the top and bottom of wings
Taped the tail on with strapping tape (lightweight tape with lines)
Taped the front of the wings
epoxy the wheel well (thing that holds the wheels)
epoxy the upside down white thing with two holes that the wing goes into after turning it right side up.
Jan 11, 2013, 01:09 AM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
Hey dutchumb. I got that plane at Banana. They say it's EPO. It was a real hard hit at full speed. I ordered a new tail wing set but I think I can fix the rest of it. I'll cut a piece of foam for that shark bite and fit it in. It might be ugly but it should work.
Jan 11, 2013, 08:10 AM
OCD RC Freak
Hi everyone!! I was thinking about buying one of these and I had a couple questions...
I have some 3S 1600mah zippy flight max 20c batteries I'm using in another plane, will these fit? Also I'm looking for a plane that I can fly at the field with landing gear, and take to the park without landing gear, would this be a good model to so this with?? I would prefer a 3D plane but this may just have to do. Also will I need a prop saver to land this one at the park with no gear on?? Thanks for the help...

---Chuck
Jan 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Registered User
I need best CG location...i had to totally redue this plane due to one to many crashes...i have to replace motor with a 950 kv exceed optima and cg is way different now...,, thx... And yes chuck this is a great little plane especially with no crashes on it(can be hand launched)...but i have broken mine in many pieces and it glues together nicely... I have the eps hobbyking version...other versions may use different kv motors and engine mounts...My HK version takes 1300 mah packs and they just fit..1800mah packs are to big if you plan on keeping it stock...i am sure if you played around and cut some foam 1800mah will fit... I also have a bigger dynam 50 inch epo corsair with retracts which is still in the box...It is a very nice foamy...
Last edited by hate2crash; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Jan 12, 2013, 04:34 AM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
Chuckman49, I'm using these Zippy batteries and they are a pretty tight fit. It gives the dimensions of them on the website. I had to crush some foam (lengthwise) to be able to close the hatch.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21339
Jan 13, 2013, 08:05 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash
I need best CG location...i had to totally redue this plane due to one to many crashes...i have to replace motor with a 950 kv exceed optima and cg is way different now...,, thx... And yes chuck this is a great little plane especially with no crashes on it(can be hand launched)...but i have broken mine in many pieces and it glues together nicely... I have the eps hobbyking version...other versions may use different kv motors and engine mounts...My HK version takes 1300 mah packs and they just fit..1800mah packs are to big if you plan on keeping it stock...i am sure if you played around and cut some foam 1800mah will fit... I also have a bigger dynam 50 inch epo corsair with retracts which is still in the box...It is a very nice foamy...
This is from a previous post showing the CG. Dutch

Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
The CG is critical! Even if you have to add weight balance it at 65 MM from the leading edge Up side down. Make the nose slightly nose down toward the floor. Since you will need weight it is best to put it in the cowl as far forward as you can get it. You can flaten out some fishing sinkers.
It is a good flyer but not as easy as the AT Corsair or a PZ Plane.

MERLIN
BTW
65 MM is the correct CG. You will not be able to fly it at 100 like the manual said !
See i really have one LOL.
Jan 13, 2013, 08:14 AM
Registered User

Old Sneakers Award


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers
I took off today and just one lap around the field I knew I shouldn't be up there. It got so overcast I was having trouble seeing it and losing orientation. So I swing wide to come in to land and fly right into the back of a tree. I must have hit the last top 5 feet of this huge tree. Oh well. Gorilla glue time.
Merlin has not been around since October, so I will go ahead and post this for him to Old Sneakers.
Jan 13, 2013, 09:57 AM
Registered User
oldsneakers's Avatar
Lol. Thanks dutchumb. I was wondering if I was going to get that. It's a fun tradition.
Jan 15, 2013, 01:27 AM
Registered User
I think the reason i had a bad crash with my HK corsair the other day was due to elevator ...one side was pretty solid but the wire that goes across was weak in holding other side...i fixed plane by adding a flat piece of carbon fiber glued to underside of both sides of elevator...i had to cut a small piece of the tail end off,but its very solid now....the plane took a death roll during last hand launch and broke into 4 pieces...but now shes rock solid with a custom pvc pipe/ply motor mount...i will play it safe and use a runway to remaiden...
Jan 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Brent Slensker's Avatar
Yes, I found out about watching the elevator, turned out it had broke due to stress and the wire was flopping about loosely in the foam, making for some unintended aerobatics. I poured Elmers into the seam and clothes-pinned it, better than new...


I was going to put my new Corsair into service, but since #4 is ugly yet flying fine I will wait.
Jan 15, 2013, 07:18 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker
Yes, I found out about watching the elevator, turned out it had broke due to stress and the wire was flopping about loosely in the foam, making for some unintended aerobatics. I poured Elmers into the seam and clothes-pinned it, better than new...


I was going to put my new Corsair into service, but since #4 is ugly yet flying fine I will wait.
You bought 5 of these planes.??..I can't see how u went through 3 and your fourth one is on its way out... I thought i was the only one that destroys planes lol....Mine has at least 12 major breaks in various areas that i have either been epoxied or gorilla glued and added CF....I can't wait to re maiden it again...Yes it may not look pretty but i am pretty sure she will fly even better now once trimmed out and cg is right
Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM
Registered User
Maidened my fu today and it flew straight as an arrow...only issue is it nosed after landing...My gear has gotten a bit sloppy from many crashes and needs to be racked a bit forward...also this being HK version i have motor approx 1/2 forward now using my custom pvc pipe and ply mount....next time i will remove gear and hand launch anyway...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: ALFA F4-U Corsair w/HS-55 servos & props dawnron1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Jun 04, 2004 08:26 AM
FS: NIB Flying Styro F4-U Corsair - $30 Hooters Driver Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Apr 25, 2004 12:27 PM
Hangar 9 F4-U Corsair ARF? GordonTarling Scale Kit/Scratch Built 30 Jan 17, 2004 11:08 AM
FS- New GWS F4-U corsair and ESC Etonic Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Dec 30, 2003 10:23 AM
New F4-u corsair video on Bungy... Bernard Parkflyers 17 Jan 01, 2003 04:31 PM