Nov 05, 2007, 07:58 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Thread OP
Discussion

Esky honeybee King 2

i need help now.

i flown CP2 before and quite ok with it. already did dual motor tail mode and fly using idle up.
figure 8 is ok for me.

i recently bought a king 2.

the tail just don't have authority and not precise.

my king 2:
stock TX/RX,
25A ESC + 3900 KV 10 T motor.
battery is 1300mAh 20C.
esky head lock gyro

all others stock.

1. i can't get the tail to hold when i push throttle hard. the nose will yaw left. even the gyro gain max also not helping. (esky head lock gyro setting with the pot on the gyro only)
2. the tail continue to turn even i stop turning the rudder. not following my command. damping effect can be observed.

what can i do to have tail authority?
i plan to upgrade a servo for the tail but don't think it will help.
or upgrade to trex tail blade?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2007, 08:44 AM
I'm sure others will offer more help but what really helped me with this issue was increasing head speed and installing the Trex tail blades.

You did not mention what Tx you are using but if you can increase your head speed at hover that may help more than anything.
Nov 05, 2007, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyclyc
i need help now.

i flown CP2 before and quite ok with it. already did dual motor tail mode and fly using idle up.
figure 8 is ok for me.

i recently bought a king 2.

the tail just don't have authority and not precise.

my king 2:
stock TX/RX,
25A ESC + 3900 KV 10 T motor.
battery is 1300mAh 20C.
esky head lock gyro

all others stock.

1. i can't get the tail to hold when i push throttle hard. the nose will yaw left. even the gyro gain max also not helping. (esky head lock gyro setting with the pot on the gyro only)
2. the tail continue to turn even i stop turning the rudder. not following my command. damping effect can be observed.

what can i do to have tail authority?
i plan to upgrade a servo for the tail but don't think it will help.
or upgrade to trex tail blade?
Yes the T-rex tail blades will help, also ensure your drive belt to the tail is not slipping. I had problems from day one with a tail boom that would not stay tensioned.

Headspeed is the next thing. The King has an ordinary drive ratio to the tail so you really need to get that head spinning.

Also try moving the tail servo along the boom a touch to increase initial pitch
Nov 05, 2007, 09:42 AM
With the stock TX turn the upper left knob (hov pit) to the 9 o clock position or so. That will give you higher head speed and more tail authority. That motor and pinion should give you plenty of head speed to get it working good. Is your gyro in rate mode or heading hold mode?
Nov 05, 2007, 09:54 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Thread OP
i have a normal esky gyro and head lock gyro.
i have not playing much with the rate mode gyro and switch to head lock gyro.
and with the head lock gyro, i turn it to the max dial for the pot but i can't get the tail to hold steady when i push throttle hard to get the heli jumping, the nose will turn left when i "jump" the heli... (i did not connect the gyro to channel 5)
when i command yaw left/right, i don't have the feel of where will the head stop..

something is wrong with either my gyro, servo, or the tail pitch mechanism.

i use stock TX/RX, i already listed all my setup parts on first post.
with esky 3900KV + 25A ESC + 10T i think the headspeed is already quite fast...

what Flinto has mentioned sounds like initial pitch should be get the heli nose yaw right, and let the gyro to work to yaw left..... so when push the throttle, the gyro,servo work less to counter the heli "jump"

other than that, i faced the belt slip issue and fix it with switching the upper/lower parts of the belt guide tensioning (the two parts that tension the belt right behind the pulley).... and my belt tension feels correct. (ie: not too loose/tight)

second part of my question:
the cyclic feel of the king 2 is worse than my CP2...
it feels lagging from the input...
could it be due to the paddle too heavy and too wide?
Nov 05, 2007, 09:55 AM
flying high
Aside from the other suggestions here ensure you have mounted the HH gyro correctly, the label "SHOULD" be pointing to the tail. Also make sure you allow it to initialize correctly (leave it still for 5-10 seconds when you plug it in).
Nov 05, 2007, 09:57 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Thread OP
other than the information above, when i fly CP2, i don't worry to fly how high, because i can bring it down safely..
but with this crazy tail king 2, i not dare to do that..
and my current flying skill is towards inverted fly....
did that 4 times with CP2 but two times end up with crash...
since that i practise inverted using simulator and quite ok already.
so i bought king 2 hoping to do inverted but with current tail, i don't dare to do that because i know i will lost control with current tail...
Nov 05, 2007, 09:59 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Thread OP
thanks nickCR for the reply.
i read thoroughly for the head lock set up and i think i have not done it wrong.
i let the head lock gyro stand and face towards the tail. i double taped the gyro to the two servo and the installation should be correct (some one posted the picture with the gyro installed and i follow exact).
initialization part should be no problem also because it turn from red to blue and i leave it still (experience from a CP2).

unless when i plug in the battery, the ESC will sounds 3 beep and the main blade move a bit and cause the gyro not initialize properly?
Nov 05, 2007, 10:37 AM
Piro-maniac
I had a 704a HH gyro for a while and it held well in flight/hover. It won't hold rock-steady in severe punches, but it held the tail of an MX400 nicely. You really should plug the gyro into ch5, otherwise I believe it defaults to rate mode.

It definitely sounds like you need to adjust the servo on the boom. Looking at the right/starboard side of the heli, if it wants to yaw CCW/left in rate mode, slide the servo aft/rearward about a millimeter and repeat until it'll hold a relatively steady hover. Only then should you adjust the gyro for HH.

Also, unclip the servo rod guides. The rod is plenty stiff, and the guides can cause binding.

If the heli twitches or moves at all before the gyro initializes, it can throw off the calibration. Hold the skids down while it initializes (stay well clear of the rotors) and try again.
Nov 05, 2007, 10:40 AM
Quote:
i double taped the gyro to the two servo and the installation should be correct (some one posted the picture with the gyro installed and i follow exact).
If I read this correctly and you are mounting your gyro to the servos, that's not such a good idea. The gyro will pick up all sorts of vibration and interferance from the servos. The gyro should be isolated and mounted with some shock/vibration absorbing foam or rubber tape.
Nov 05, 2007, 10:43 AM
heli addict
The next step is to increase the head speed as the others have suggested. The only way to do this with the stock TX is to turn BOTH the pit. and hov. knobs all of the way CCW. that will allow for the max head speed that this TX is capable of doing. This is how I fly mine and the tail holds pretty well in hard punchouts. It will never be perfect because of the tail gear ratio. That is just the way it is, but you can get it to hold pretty well.
Nov 05, 2007, 10:47 AM
heli addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbone
If I read this correctly and you are mounting your gyro to the servos, that's not such a good idea. The gyro will pick up all sorts of vibration and interferance from the servos. The gyro should be isolated and mounted with some shock/vibration absorbing foam or rubber tape.

Some guys have reported good results with this gyro mounted this way, but you are correct, it should be mounted twith the lable facing to the right and the servo connection facing the back.
Nov 06, 2007, 09:37 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Thread OP
will try all the solution here...

what is the best lubricant to lubricate the tail?

auto silicon spray can?
Nov 06, 2007, 10:22 AM
Piro-maniac
Quote:
will try all the solution here...

what is the best lubricant to lubricate the tail?

auto silicon spray can?
That's what I use. I can hear the rpm increase slightly as I spray it in. Don't use it on the main gear, though. I did, and it led to the motor slipping forward like an ice skater with a jet pack.

Quick Reply