This thread is privately moderated by martin richards, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 03, 2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
Martin
I'm looking for info on something called a double purchase sheet rigging plan..

any clue where I might find that type of info on how servos typically are set up (without a multi- turn winch) to drive Jib and Main sheets in RC sailboats?

Practically Addicted..and don't know it
JimS

http://www.theamya.org/boats/us1m/us1mcons.php
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2010, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Dick,
thank you very much .. that construction guide/ manual is a veritable gold mine full of info..

Regards,
JimS
Last edited by jims123; Nov 04, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
Boomer1

Blackstar RC Yachts - worth taking a look

I was chatting with Martin on another thread and he suggested I draft a post on "Sticky" to share with you guys a line of RC Yachts that may be of interest and that you may not be familar with.

I was doing some research on "Footy's" and came across "Blackstar R/C Yachts". I had not heard of them before, so I contacted them via e-mail to enquire about their very nice looking boats.

I got a phone call shortly after sending my e-mail, which was a positive first step. An engaging fellow named Christopher Lones called me to field my questions. He was a very knowledgeable and interested, and our conversation lasted for 30 minutes.

Christopher is both the designer and the builder of Blackstar R/C sailboats, and has been doing it since 1983. A particular point of interest to me is that his boats are hand layed fiberglass, with Carbon Spars and Mylar sails. I like the fiberglass hull aspect for it's strength.

Chris is the builder and an avid sailor, who builds his boats one at a time, and all by hand. He has a real passion for his products, and for RC sailing in general. He is now located in the Denver area, but as I understand it, he started out in Florida, where his boats are well known and very popular.

His prices seem quite fair for RTR boats. I was surprised actually, I thought the prices were for kits. I asked him if he'd sell a boat without the radio, and he said sure, and to deduct $50 from the posted price. Since I use 2.4 technology and have my radios and receivers, that was good news. I asked him about doing a few custom touches for me, and he was happy to oblige.

He builds a variety of boats and lengths.
Blackstar 36 $499.00 plus shipping
Blackstar 30 $329.00 plus shipping
Footy Class $219.00 plus shipping
Footy F14 $189.00 plus shipping
Blackstar SS $199.00 plus shipping
Blackstar 23 $219.00 plus shipping
Trimaran $279.00 plus shipping

All boats come fully built in your choice of color and include 2ch Radios

Boats are available in kit form. email me for pricing depending on how much of a kit you want.

I posted some photos for your consideration.

To check out Chris's web site go to:
http://blackstaryacht.com/Blackstar_30.html

Look forward to your comments.

Boomer
Jun 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
Useful Idiot
Thread OP
Thanks Boomer. It sounds like someone worth adding to a list of candidate suppliers.
Jul 27, 2011, 07:21 PM

lightning

Has anybody seen plans for building a Lightning?
Jul 27, 2011, 08:13 PM
The full size plans are probably available from the class association - since the boat (a one design) was intended for home building. You can always scale down dimensions for the hull to whatever size you like. Probably will need a larger centerboard and rudder if you want to radio control it. Since there is no recognized r/c class, a taller mast/larger sail could provide a performance boost if you want to keep it looking scale when on the water. A removable keel with bulb is suggested to when out of water it would/could look like a scale model of the real boat if on your wall or mantel.

Don't be shocked if the class wants $$ for plans, since you could, after all, build a real one. Might also check local library as the plans were in Popular Mechanics or similar when the class was growing. Probably 1950's or so.

Just a couple of ideas
Aug 01, 2011, 02:56 AM
WooHoo!
Fairwind III

Dec 01, 2011, 10:20 AM
Boomer1
SuperSeven
A response to your post can be viewed on the Nivana thread.
Boomer
Dec 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Kimo
Boomer Thanks for the heads up on a new RTS builder/supplier to most of us. Like
Martin has said in a different post a lot of builder/suppliers are not known to most sailors. I will have to look at his web site. From what you have said his prices are really in the ball park for most new sailors.
Dec 10, 2011, 03:20 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor
Boomer Thanks for the heads up on a new RTS builder/supplier to most of us. Like
Martin has said in a different post a lot of builder/suppliers are not known to most sailors. I will have to look at his web site. From what you have said his prices are really in the ball park for most new sailors.
As a matter of general interest, I just received a new Blackstar 36". I asked Chris leave the electronics out and not to rig it so I could add my own hardware and electronics. I hope to be completing the boat in the few next months, then doing my own testing to determine how this very nice looking boat performs. I have heard reports of it being quite fast. Time will tell.

Since this is tech thread, if anyone is interested, once I have some definitive information, I will provide it.

I took one picture of the boat just after removing it from the box. She sure looks fast. The sail set looks good too.

I am always looking for new boats - and am happy to report on them as they are discovered.

Merry Christmas

Boomer

[url]http://blackstaryacht.com/

Description and Specs:
Fathead main and overall look similar to the round the world Volvo boats. Designed to be very fast and a serious racing model built for performance. The keel is removable in just seconds, as is the rudder. The boat uses a double spreader rigged carbon fiber mast. Can be ordered RTR or equipped the way you want it.
General Specifications
length 36 In.
Sail Area 600 Sq., In.
Weight 5 lbs.
draft 16 In.
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added specs
Jan 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
Boomer1
Happy New Year!
Boomer
Jan 03, 2012, 09:35 PM
Age quod agis
Same to you Boomer. Thanks for the info on the boat manufacturer.
Jan 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
nice looking yachts boomer especially the 36 blackstar how do you think it would go against a seawind?also were can you buy the tri it isnt on his web page and how big is it
Jan 28, 2012, 07:31 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darynxbcoupe
nice looking yachts boomer especially the 36 blackstar how do you think it would go against a seawind?also were can you buy the tri it isnt on his web page and how big is it
Regarding Trimaran - I'd suggest contacting Chris at Blackstar - He is very accommodating - might make one up for you.

Good question, I don't know the answer at this point. When I get them both on the water I can let you know. The Seawind has more sail area, and is a longer boat. It will be fun to find out.

My projects have been put on a temporary hold until we move into our new home. Once I get the 36 completed I will post an update on how the boat performs.

Thanks for your interest.
Boomer
Feb 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cubs
Has anybody seen plans for building a Lightning?
Dumas makes a lightning Kit.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=189

Quick Reply