Dec 11, 2002, 09:54 AM
Thread OP

RTF scale AV8A Harrier: "far-reaching benefits far beyond the leisure market" ?!!

Take a look at this, someone in the UK has just been awarded £50,000 (from National Lottery funds) to develop a scale EDF Harrier jump-jet

The developer ...

Quote:
believes he is on the verge of unveiling an unmanned aerial vehicle technology with the potential to save time, money - and lives
Apparently ...

Quote:
It could help with police searches, covering huge areas quickly. Electricity distribution companies could use it to ascertain the extent of storm damage to power lines. It could be used by customs and excise to monitor ports to help crack down on smuggling, and the fire service could send it above a fire to identify the source much more quickly, without any risk to life. It is much safer than model helicopters or model jet aircraft powered by miniature gas turbine engines and yet can take off and land almost anywhere
http://www.nesta.org.uk/mediaroom/ne...121/index.html

Sounds like the military have got it all wrong with their micro-UAV programmes then? Yeah, right!

More info here, including...

Quote:
The Americans are aware of the gap in current technology and are investing heavily in devices similar to my own. But they don’t have my ‘vectored thrust’ technology, which means my aircraft can not only take off vertically, but can also move forward quickly, at speeds of at least 80 miles per hour
http://www.nesta.org.uk/ourawardees/...2_profile.html
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2002, 10:20 AM
Electriaddict
Heheheheh I like how they "Justify" the project as something to help society, using it for search and rescue and the like are any of the people involved with that project in any way familiar with electricity? and the huge amount a VTOL plane or any EDF for that matter would need, mini nuclear reactors maybe hehehehehe
Dec 11, 2002, 11:41 AM
characters welcome!

Re: RTF scale AV8A Harrier: "far-reaching benefits far beyond the leisure market" ?!!

Quote:
...which means my aircraft can not only take off vertically, but can also move forward quickly, at speeds of at least 80 miles per hour...
Sounds an awful lot like a heli, does it not? Nothing new.

mw
Dec 11, 2002, 11:47 AM
Electriaddict
Oh but it states that the difference between this and the Heli is the Heli is difficult to learn to fly but a Harrier Jump jet would be easy? Hahahahahahahaah
Dec 11, 2002, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
There's more (from the second link I posted):

Quote:
The Federal Aviation Authority has decreed that there should be no civilian unmanned aerial vehicles with exposed rotor blades in the skies above the US. This means that neither remotely-controlled helicopters nor propeller-driven aircraft can be used – they could seriously hurt someone if they flew out of control.
So you guys are all breaking the law then? And obviously an EDF Harrier doing 80 mph+ is completely safe!

I don't mind any of this nonsense, but the fact that the guy got a huge chunk of money from the National Lottery (which is supposed to fund charities etc.) is pretty appalling, IMO.
Dec 11, 2002, 12:06 PM
Electriaddict
absolutely disgusting
Dec 11, 2002, 12:13 PM
Notorious Battery Abuser
typical common person ignorance

bet the guy's gonna use some sort of brushed can motor.

If anything, it would be harder to control than a heli, if at all
Dec 11, 2002, 12:15 PM
Electriaddict
What a scam
Dec 11, 2002, 12:45 PM
£50,000 ? Isn't that about what DocWattson has spent so far on his quest to build a JSF? I bet he's none to happy about this.

Got to agree with you guys, the justification seems a bit thin at best. But a neat project nonetheless.

Quote:
Ashley says: “The Federal Aviation Authority has decreed that there should be no civilian unmanned aerial vehicles with exposed rotor blades in the skies above the US. This means that neither remotely-controlled helicopters nor propeller-driven aircraft can be used – they could seriously hurt someone if they flew out of control.
So let me get this straight. a 1,000 pound UAV falling out of the sky over a populated area at several hundred miles an hour is safe as long as it doesn't have a propeller, right? Sure that makes sense.
Dec 11, 2002, 02:48 PM
Professional idiot
<In addition, there is a growing market for model aircraft, and according to the Office of National Statistics, it has been rising at a rate of 12-20% per annum>

This bit was interesting.

I can't believe some lame bunch of half wits have given him the money, I can think of much more suscessful enterprises.

It's got me thinking though. I could do with some new radio gear.
Dec 11, 2002, 08:01 PM
Notorious Battery Abuser
I wonder if the guy will actually be able to fly the thing
Dec 12, 2002, 04:36 AM
Thread OP

Better and better ..

I just found the company's website. In addition to everything else, this Harrier is "easy to fly", "fully aerobatic", and has a duration of "20-30 minutes" !

http://www.excitingrcm.equology.com/html/

BTW despite the original site mentioning electric motors it now appears to be IC powered, so possibly "off topic" for Ezone

The site above actually looks familiar, I think someone else may have posted a link to it before. It was the award of £50,000 to this guy that got my attention though.
Dec 12, 2002, 10:11 AM
Just a passing thought - if an American Organisation had offered $75,000 for a similar project, built by a US firm or modeller, would the remarks in this thread have been the same?

Sour grapes, gentlemen.....?
Dec 12, 2002, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
You think this is an appropriate use for money that's supposed to fund charitable work?

Justifying the development of a scale r/c Harrier on the basis that it could be used to save lives etc. is appalling, IMO ...
Dec 12, 2002, 01:37 PM
What I find VERY interesting is that he is offering kits and distributorships and there is not a single picture of the plane on his website. No pictures of development, flight shots, or finished product.

I have been following development of VTOL R/C for about 15 years and there are only a few (I recall 2) sucessful VTOL planes. To my knowledge there have been several tries to get a scale Harrier and only 1 has sucessfully hovered, and none have shown to be capabl;e of reliable transition to forward flight.

If this guy has been sucessful in doing a scale Harrier, the magazines would be all over it.

Just food for thought.

Rob

Quick Reply