Feb 07, 2011, 03:12 PM

Modification of ebay ESC's

Guys,
I'm looking for someone familiar with modifications of ESC firmware.
I bought on ebay very nice built 35A esc's (yellow ones) and wanted to reflash them to fast PPM firmware as I already did with SS ESC's. Unfortunately after opening them I found that inside is Atmega48 instead of Atmega8. Wiring seems to be the same as SS ESC's but there isn't XTAL - processor runs on internal RC oscillator. Firmware compiled for Atmega8 doesn't work and when I try compile it for Atmega48 I'm getting errors because Timer0 have differently named registers. I'm not very familiar with AVR and their assembler so for me it's quite big task but I guess that someone knowing the matter would do the mod in a while. If someone is willing to help me, I can provide more info - I already spent some time evaluating the problem.
Big thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBirdie001 View Post
Unfortunately after opening them I found that inside is Atmega48 instead of Atmega8. Wiring seems to be the same as SS ESC's but there isn't XTAL - processor runs on internal RC oscillator. Firmware compiled for Atmega8 doesn't work and when I try compile it for Atmega48 I'm getting errors because Timer0 have differently named registers.
Hi RBirdie001,

just a short time ago, 'renatopup' converted the ASM software to C:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1349333
Now you can simply change the controller type to your version and the WinAVR compiler produces an appropriate code.

Additionally 'renatopup' opened a new thead for the development on base on this C software:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1384442

It looks as if you have a good chance to use your board as you planned

cu
quax
Feb 11, 2011, 02:44 AM

Turnigy Plush 10A

Hi all, Is someone been Converting Turnigy Plush 10A ESC's from PWM to I2C control ?

I Converted one to compare the Turnigy Plush 18A ,but I m fail.It were burn out when I rise throttle

Is someone been succeed? Thanks!

Last edited by xingkong2007; Feb 11, 2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: image
Feb 11, 2011, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingkong2007 View Post
I Converted one to compare the Turnigy Plush 18A ,but I m fail.It were burn out when I rise throttle
It's very dangerous to convert an unknown BLC without contolling the port usage and the BEMF port connection. There are at least two different BEMF models (18 type and 17a type). Therefore you should NEVER load software on an BLC before you have controlled, if the schematic is the same. Only a little change in port usage may damage the BLC.
On the other hand side you should always make your first tests with current limiting. An easy way is to include a car bulb in serie to the powersupply.

To convert the BLC you have to reengineer the schematic first.

cu
quax
Feb 11, 2011, 05:42 AM
Hi quax, Thank you verymuch! I will reengineer the schematic at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quax View Post
It's very dangerous to convert an unknown BLC without contolling the port usage and the BEMF port connection. There are at least two different BEMF models (18 type and 17a type). Therefore you should NEVER load software on an BLC before you have controlled, if the schematic is the same. Only a little change in port usage may damage the BLC.
On the other hand side you should always make your first tests with current limiting. An easy way is to include a car bulb in serie to the powersupply.

To convert the BLC you have to reengineer the schematic first.

cu
quax
Feb 11, 2011, 10:02 AM

Turnigy Plush 30A FAST-PWM

Hi there, I am new here, so first of all thanks for the firmware and documentation on this project!

Just flashed one of my Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs with the FAST-PWM firmware posted by Arthur P on page 45. After flashing it I heard 3 beeps, faster after each other than with the normal firmware. I hadn't changed the fuse bits at that point because the PonyProg software didn't run on my 64-bit computer. When connecting a standard RC receiver it didn't do anything, also an Arduino Pro Mini using the standard PWM library did not work.

Then I tried to set the fuse bits with avrdude (from the Eclipse IDE), somehow I thought it was oke to just try different settings, and when I changed the frequency from internal 8MHz to internal 1MHz the board just fried .

So my questions:
- Am I correct in thinking that the FAST-PWM version should work with standard RC, or a least with the PWM output of an Arduino (using values between 1000 and 2000 micro seconds)?
- Were the 3 short beeps an indication of the firmware (and fusebits) already working?
Feb 11, 2011, 11:23 AM

the schematic of Turnigy Plush 10A ESC

New the schematic is finish,it is about the same between 18A and 10A .I m not definite what BEMF models is it,look at the photo,maybe somebody can tall me.
THANKS!

xingkong
Last edited by xingkong2007; Feb 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Feb 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xingkong2007 View Post
New the schematic is finish,it is about the same between 18A and 10A .I m not definite what BEMF models is it,look at the photo,maybe somebody can tall me.
THANKS!

xingkong
I would like to know, what software you have loaded.
Can you give me a link to that version or upload that version?

cu
quax
Feb 11, 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Quax
What software I have loaded and set the fuse bits is here(18a_tpro_i2c_r07.zip --The hex file for TWI/I2C control)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=675

How to Converted the 10A ESC is here , just like 18A:

After Converted and connect to FC board ,the ESC can be discern which is it ,and the beginning of music is very feeble. when I rise throttle ,It were burn out
Feb 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
Anybody interested in converting 4 30a rctimer escs for me? Offcourse you get paid for your work. Pm me for the total price for all 4.
Feb 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
Anyone know what could be wrong with this converted plush 30A?

VIDEO0019.3gp (0 min 41 sec)

It does the power on beeps fine, however the sensorless side doesnt seem able to get a lock so it just jumps around to itself trying to start.
Feb 16, 2011, 03:32 AM
Droner
Question to Quax regarding the fast PWM firmware:

The stock Turnigy/Hobbywing frequency is 8kHz, this makes the motors produce a high pitch noise, I normally use Mystery blue ESC's as I can choose 16kHz to prevent the motors from whining.

What is the switching frequency of the firmware update?

thanks.
Feb 24, 2011, 01:10 PM

Help ID'ing this Tower Pro Mag8- ESC25 -> FastPPM

...HELP....

I have 4 of these Tower Pro Mag 8 , 25 Esc gathering dust. (They are ~2-3 years old)

Questions :

1) Are they 'safe' to use in a Quad ? (I read some ESC's went up in flames ...;( )

2) Is it possible to flash them with fastPPM firmware ?

3) If yes, where/what firmware do I need to use

4) If yes: what Fuze settings ?

5) Where can I find the most 'fool-proof' guide ?

Thanks !!!

-Doron
Last edited by Doron; Feb 24, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Feb 25, 2011, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doron View Post
...HELP....

I have 4 of these Tower Pro Mag 8 , 25 Esc gathering dust. (They are ~2-3 years old)

Questions :

1) Are they 'safe' to use in a Quad ? (I read some ESC's went up in flames ...;( )

2) Is it possible to flash them with fastPPM firmware ?

3) If yes, where/what firmware do I need to use

4) If yes: what Fuze settings ?

5) Where can I find the most 'fool-proof' guide ?

Thanks !!!

-Doron
1) They are safe, if they are changed in a reliable way and loaded with the appropriate firmware.

2) If one of my firmware versions works with that BLC, than a fastPPM is available.

3) First you have to find out, what type of BLC you have. Normally you must control the port usage of your BLC and compare it with the setting/schematic of my firmware. The setting is placed in the .inc file and in most cases the schematic is also included in the ZIP file.
http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/blc_18a/blc_18a.htm

4) The ZIP file holds also this information

5) Unfortunately there is no 'fool-proof' way to convert BLCs. Without any knowledge of electronics it's a great risk, that they 'go up in flames'. One thing is the reliable converting and the other is to get in running without damage, e.g. you need a current limitting device for the first tests. If there is something wrong you must be able to find the problem.

A better 'fool-proof' way is to use the I2C-to-PPM converter from Arthur P.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1177149
There is nearly no risk to damage the BLC or something else.

cu
quax
Feb 25, 2011, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quax View Post
3) First you have to find out, what type of BLC you have.
quax
Since there is a 16Mhz resonator on my PCB , can I assume it is a 17a type and not an 18a ?

Are there other key points to help uncover what version I need ?

-Doron

Quick Reply