Aug 18, 2009, 05:50 AM
i bought one of this glue yesterday in krakow, im goin to try it.

maybe they can use this sensor if they have time to write the code,

one of my converted esc once behaved strange: it stopped workin (bootin up with the sound was not), i thought soldering or processor fault ,but not, after a while it started to work again, it wasnt be touched for 20 minutes...
(i dont want it in the air(((( )

but it cant be because of programmed temperature sensing, it was not hot ,
maybe it was really some touch;|
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2009, 06:58 AM
Could somebody who knows the conversion routine please point to the hex files and the connection diagram of this ESC? It is a 18A TowerPro.

I really can't find the right one between all the different versions and taking a risk isn't really necessary. What does the calibration option in firmware mean? Thank you very much.

Aug 21, 2009, 09:48 AM
Eduardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Could somebody who knows the conversion routine please point to the hex files and the connection diagram of this ESC? It is a 18A TowerPro.

I really can't find the right one between all the different versions and taking a risk isn't really necessary. What does the calibration option in firmware mean? Thank you very much.

use the same HEX of towerpro 25amp 2009 (type3) and the same procedure too.

regards.
Aug 21, 2009, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agressiva
use the same HEX of towerpro 25amp 2009 (type3) and the same procedure too.

regards.
I think you are referring to these hex files?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=414

Also the procedure isn't included in the above zip file, or is it?

I only found this (complete) one.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2652582

What is the difference on the hex with or without calibration? Do I need to set a calibration byte for these ESC's? Thank you!

EDIT:

Oke, I have finally found this post by Quax
Quote:
Let me try some clarifications

If the BLC has a resonator and the fuses are correctly set, then there is no OSC calibration needed at all.

If the BLC has a ATmega8 or ATmega8L on board and NO resonator, then the fuses have to be set to internal oscillator and the OSC should be calibrated. Because the software needs to know, if the calibration is necessary I decided to perform the calibration on all devices with ATmega8 or ATmega8L with NO resonator.
In this case Ponyprog should execute the script with the ending .e2s because the script loads the calibration value into the EEPROM region. Unfortunately the calibration value cannot be read by user software and can only be transferred via EEPROM data.

If it's not very improtant, that the execution is done in an exact timing, e.g. using I2C-bus, the part that reads the calibration byte from EEPROM and writes it to OSCCAL can be commented out. After assembling the changed source only the HEX files may be loaded without using the .e2s script.

cul
quax
As I understand correctly this model needs to be calibrated because of the absence of any Xtal on the Atmega according to 'towerpro 25amp new.JPG'.So I need to run the e2s script only.
Last edited by Xander; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
Aug 21, 2009, 10:44 AM
Eduardo
Quote:
I think you are referring to these hex files?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=414

Also the procedure isn't included in the above zip file, or is it?

I only found this (complete) one.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2652582

What is the difference on the hex with or without calibration? Do I need to set a calibration byte for these ESC's? Thank you!
exactly ... is this zip and this connections.

The result for calibrated and uncalibrated firmware is the same.
Aug 21, 2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
exactly ... is this zip and this connections.

The result for calibrated and uncalibrated firmware is the same.
Big thanks you for your reply!

Although I have read every post in this thread I am still a bit unsure about the exact procedure. Quax advised to used the calibrated firmware when there isn't a external Xtal present. Is this calibration byte already present in the current ESC firmware? And why should the calibration byte not be needed? :?

Also this post below from Andrei implies that the picture I have posted above isn't the right one. Unfortunately he has even damaged parts.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=499

I have a few days before the conversion so in the mean time I can sort this things out. Ofcourse I would like to thank Quax, Arthur P, Agressiva and all others for your enourmous commitment to make this possible! Thanks!
Last edited by Xander; Aug 21, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Aug 21, 2009, 02:46 PM
Quote:
i converted exatly the same ( with the same covering ), only my 18a has on the empty places fets too. it took only one evening (building the programmer and everything), and works fine. be carefull, because somewhere was a wrong picture about connections (two lines mixed). and i offer u to read the thread, because of different solutions (solder out the regulators, or not, where to connect your cables). if its neccesarry i will do one site only about this new esc, or it exsist?
Aug 21, 2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgames
i converted exatly the same ( with the same covering ), only my 18a has on the empty places fets too. it took only one evening (building the programmer and everything), and works fine. be carefull, because somewhere was a wrong picture about connections (two lines mixed). and i offer u to read the thread, because of different solutions (solder out the regulators, or not, where to connect your cables). if its neccesarry i will do one site only about this new esc, or it exsist?
Yes indeed I have read the whole thread already. I have three more ESC's to open up so I will take a look at how many FET's they have. I am curious why yours got more, are you sure it is a 18a?

The only problem I have right now is about if calibration is needed. But I will probably test it out myself as soon as I have hooked up everything.
Aug 21, 2009, 04:25 PM
Eduardo
Quote:
Yes indeed I have read the whole thread already. I have three more ESC's to open up so I will take a look at how many FET's they have. I am curious why yours got more, are you sure it is a 18a?

The only problem I have right now is about if calibration is needed. But I will probably test it out myself as soon as I have hooked up everything.
for calibration you need run the script for ponyprog that are in the ZIP.

the two versions (with and without calibration) work very well.

i prefer the calibrated because all ESC run at same frequency.

With uncalibrated version all each esc run in different frequency .

This difference is to small but exist. For hobby use this not represent any problem.

regards.
Aug 21, 2009, 05:11 PM
Quote:
I am curious why yours got more, are you sure it is a 18a?
they said here, this new escs are the same, the only different is the power of the fets, so they mean for the 18a, 25a, etc... my top side is the same, and the covering picture exactly the same, but i have 3-3 fets everywhere, not 2-2 like yours. it can be 18a too, maybe my has lower power fets, but more. in this case the esc depens only the power/prise of the fets, and the circuit the same. oh, and they said, sometimes a seller send different escs, i ordered now again, i hope they send the same
Aug 21, 2009, 05:16 PM
oh sorry, there is really some different on the top, my is like what u linked with the connection, but the circuit should be the same
(https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...hmentid=2652582)
Aug 22, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guy's. You have helped me a lot. I haven't thought about power output performance of the FET's I uncousciously assumed that the power handling of a FET of that size should roughly be the same. Apparantly there is difference.

Apart from the replaced resistor at the top left corner of the Atmega and at the orange wire there isn't much difference except for signal trace width.

Aug 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:
I haven't thought about power output performance of the FET's I uncousciously assumed that the power handling of a FET of that size should roughly be the same. Apparantly there is difference.
when a few fets burned in my plane escs (winter flight, landing to snow short circuit...), i always replaced the fets what i got in the local electronic shop (rouhgly same amper), and they work fine among the others
Aug 28, 2009, 10:55 AM
I had bad experience converting my TowerPro, so I went another way. See about my conversion here http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-11206.html
Aug 30, 2009, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Hi brothers.

here are my conversion to towerpro 40amp model 2009.

The firmware is the same of towerpro 30amp model 2009.

basic mod can be due cuting only one track and modifyng the position of resistor that are connected to pin 27.

take attention on the picture.

the resistor that need modification are around yellow cable (motor cabes).

regards.

Hi aggressiva

Do you have any more tips for this conversion. I've bought four of these, and converted one. I have followed your picture, in addition I have removed the resistor connected to pad 32 on the MCU, or else it would have interferred with SDA, isn't that correct? (I have tried testing the ESC both with and without this resistor).

The programming part is no problem, I can write the fuses, and load the hex. And at bootup, the motor is making the usual bip-bip-bip-biiiip, but there is no response when I send I2c commands from the MK- flight controller.

Hope you have any tips, regards

-Erik

Quick Reply