Converting TowerPro 25A type 2 ESC's from PWM to TWI/I2C control - Page 21 - RC Groups
Apr 15, 2009, 09:48 PM
Eduardo

OPssss

OPssss the Willian (wsawyer) was noticed some posts ago the same information about the towerpro 25amp.

Willian, have you more news about this esc ?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by agressiva
When i changed my Towerpro 2409-18 motor by the turnigy 2417 motor the problem was solved.

This problem occour with some motors. (timming isues)
You could be right here, I did some more testing this morning and if I increase throttle I do get the motors running correctly, so it seems to be a "startup" related issues either timing or "startup power" or something.
Motors are Hyperion HP-Z2213-20 (twelve stator poles and fourteen magnet poles)
http://aircraft-world.com/prod_datas.../z2213spec.htm

Quax, any changes I can look at making in the the ESC firmware to try and sort this issue out? I would really like to avoid having to change the motors.

Thanks,
Serge
Last edited by ssozonoff; Apr 16, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Apr 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Eduardo, can you tell me more about your parallel interface ? thanks
Apr 16, 2009, 05:58 PM
Eduardo

atmel flash writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_submarin
Eduardo, can you tell me more about your parallel interface ? thanks

you can use this schematic to make your atmega writer.

Its "super simple" and work with ponyprog.
Apr 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
Eduardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by quax
Hi William,

it looks like a high-side driven BLC, that means, it's more a higher quality product

If you reengineer the schematic, I can help you to get the appropriate software.
Quax, following is the schematic of new towerpro 25amp.

Can you help me with firmware ?

Looking at schematic, i think that the code for tp18a can be used without modification.

I tried this code but the ESC not work. Not beepīs and de Mikrokopter dont recognize the ESC.

does some special procedure to code work without xtal ?

Regards.
Last edited by agressiva; Apr 19, 2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: incorrect attach
Apr 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
Eduardo

my modified tp25amp not work

Hi friends ...

well, i try to make the modification in my esc and the esc not initialize.

does someone that have success full converted the towerpro 18amp (internal oscilator) help-me ?

i think that my problem is with oscillator.
Last edited by agressiva; Apr 19, 2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: incorrect schematic
Apr 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
Eduardo

Here are modified firmware

Here are the modified firmware that work with towerpro 25amp new model.

use with warning because i flyed some one time with this firmware.
Apr 19, 2009, 11:53 PM
Eduardo

Tests

i discharged one 2200mha 3S lipo with this firmware

the hardware are tp25a new and turnigy 2217-23a

the ESC and motor stay cool.

when try the LIPO 2200mha 4S the ESC stay cool but the motor stay very hot.

regards
Apr 20, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssozonoff
You could be right here, I did some more testing this morning and if I increase throttle I do get the motors running correctly, so it seems to be a "startup" related issues either timing or "startup power" or something.
Problem solved, I have increased the "Min. Throttle" setting in MKTools for my MK to 30 and engines seem to start up pretty well now.
Thanks Arthur P. for the tip.

Thanks,
Serge
Apr 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
Quote:
i discharged one 2200mha 3S lipo with this firmware

the hardware are tp25a new and turnigy 2217-23a

the ESC and motor stay cool.

when try the LIPO 2200mha 4S the ESC stay cool but the motor stay very hot.

regards
Hi Aggresiva and Quax,

Thanks for working out the new TowerPro 18A and 25A version schematic and firmware. Interestingly there is also a new TowerPro 30A which looks identical in layout. Just got 5 of those. Will convert them the coming days and post some pics.

Re your hot motors on 4S, the Turnigy 2217/23's are 1000kV or so. So what props are you using? You may be overpropped for 4S.

Here are some pics of my current TowerPro 50A conversions. Note that I-m using a 6 pin connector within the heatshrink to be able to reprogram the ESC if there are firmware changes, or if I have to change the ESC to a different motor number. With a 6 pin connector and some pinprick perforations through the heatshrink I can easilly do that now. But with the new TP30As (V2009 so to speak) that will be more difficult as it has cooling plates on both sides.

For my 6 pin connector I followed the same sequence as for the 6 pin FC connector although this is a series instead of 2x 3 layout. So:

Pins on 6 pin programming connector
(1 = power in side of ESC)
1 SCK Blue
2 RST Green
3 MISO Orange
4 5V Red
5 MOSI Yellow
6 GND Brown

And for the I2C connector I use the servo lead:
Pins on servo lead:
1 SCL White/Orange
2 SDA Red
3 GND Brown
Apr 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Here are the files
@Aggressiva, the ZIP file seems corrupted. I downloaded it several times but it won't open. Could you check and post it again? Also can you provide some more details on the conversion itsself? I believe you've had to reroute SDA and SCL pin connections to other pins. What traces did you have to sever?

Interestingly, your version of this ESC has the same print on the PCB as mine: HH 30A, which to me suggests that they are all 30A ESCs by design, but that through different number of FETS they are reduced to 18 or 25A. Quality looks quite good. Hope they work well and that they retain this version for a significant period if the conversion is easy.
Apr 22, 2009, 08:37 PM
Eduardo

TP new version

you are right Arthur.

All new tp (18, 25 and 30 amp) use the same board.

The diference is the fets.

this esc is much better than old models.

I discharged all my six 3S bats and two 4s bats with this esc and it work very cold.

About my turnigy 2217, i use this motor with 12x45 maxxprod propeller.

In real flight the motor work warm but not much.

Well, try download the code again and tell me if it work OK.
Apr 23, 2009, 06:59 AM
@Aggressiva,

Thanks for reposting the ZIP. It opens correctly now. And thanks for posting those conversion pics. Very helpful. So far I-ve always left the 7805s on to be able to use the BEC for e.g. driving LEDs per motor arm, but on 4S that would heat them up quite a bit. May follow your lead and take them off. That might also allow me to get ris of part of the heatsink on the processor side and gain some space for my programming plug connector.

Re the third and fourth pic in your conversion, if I understand it correctly, by removing the resistor and capacitator you are in fact disconnecting the old PPM input to the processor and connecting SCL to the old PPM servo wire? The alternative would be to cut the trace betwen the servo lead pad and the capacitator, leave the resistor and capacitator in place, and simply wire the SCL pin to the servo lead pad, correct?

12x4.5 on 4S is really overpropping that poor little 2217/23 motor. Even the 2217/20 already get a bit warm on 3S with 12x3.8 and they are only 860kV. That's why I-m going to be trying the Turnigy Aerodrive Sk2836 / 750kV motors on 4S with the 12x3.8s. You really want to be very careful with these outrunners. If the outside feels hot, then the coils may well be overheating. Remember that there is a layer of mangents outside of the coils so that you don't really feel the motor temperature. Only way to know for sure how hot the coils are getting is to use one of those small hand-held infrared temperature meters. They're not very expensive and could prevent a meltdown, short circuit, and resultant "too quick landing" if they clearly identify the coils overheating.
Last edited by Arthur P.; Apr 23, 2009 at 07:14 AM.