Dec 04, 2019, 08:55 AM
It's all about scale models!
Your Ta-183 looks great! I still have mine. The first two flight attempts were pretty awful for reasons I either can't remember or don't want to remember.

That said, I fly mine right off the grass, same as the Mig 15, thus avoiding hand-launching (which can be dicey with EDF's). I feel like there's a reduced chance of mistakes. You'll be surprised how well this one glides -- you can really extend flight times if you want.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2019, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
Your Ta-183 looks great! I still have mine. The first two flight attempts were pretty awful for reasons I either can't remember or don't want to remember.

That said, I fly mine right off the grass, same as the Mig 15, thus avoiding hand-launching (which can be dicey with EDF's). I feel like there's a reduced chance of mistakes. You'll be surprised how well this one glides -- you can really extend flight times if you want.
The mighty was 15 is a great model.
why they stop making it ?

Dec 05, 2019, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
The mighty was 15 is a great model.
why they stop making it ?

I don't believe Mr Alfery is making any more of the "original" models - when they're gone they are gone :-(

Only the short kits for now.
Dec 05, 2019, 12:35 AM
Everything is out of production?
Dec 05, 2019, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie

Thank you very much Sir !

Currently I am flying a F-16 from Alfa (hand launch absolute no problem), the MIG 21 (this model is a little bit tricky in case the launcher is not aware of the model properties) and some of the Alfa warbirds. Unfortunately my son crashed our F-86 last year but after finishing the "Huckebein" I ordered a F-86 with retracts to have some hobby work over Christmas holidays. In times where a good quality foamy costs up to 600.- euros Alfa is really a alternative for a modeler with nostalgic memories

cheers

Rudi
Dec 05, 2019, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopath
Everything is out of production?
yes but you can order as long as there are some models in stock.
Dec 05, 2019, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi
yes but you can order as long as there are some models in stock.
Absolutely. For many years HobbyLobby (apparently a massive North American hobby store) used to be (probably) the single biggest distributor of the Alfa range, then they suddenly dropped the range a few years back now.

My conjecture is that Mr Alfery probably was producing kits at a high rate specifically to feed Hobby Lobby's requirements. But when this arrangement stopped he was left with a large stockpile that he has been running down via his direct sales channel - in small volumes to loyal customers such as us.

Good thing for us though is that the was able to undersell the old Hobby Lobby price and (hopefully) still make an income (no middle-man to pay) - bad news it seems once the stockpile is gone it will be gone (unless he makes new batches eventually).
Dec 05, 2019, 05:10 AM
Quote:
I finished my first customized FW TA 183 from Alfa last week and received a new F-86 and A4 from Mr. Alfery

Christmas time = Alfa Building Time

Rudi
Agree with the other comments - nice job on the TA 183. Also looking forwards to seeing your A4. Mine always gets the knees knocking more than any other model I regularly fly.
Dec 05, 2019, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Agree with the other comments - nice job on the TA 183. Also looking forwards to seeing your A4. Mine always gets the knees knocking more than any other model I regularly fly.
Thank you very much ! The A4 is stored for the moment. It is not on the top of my "todo" list but who knows Unfortunately Mr. Alfery have no MIG 15 anymore. The MIG 15 was my all time favorite. Unbelievable good looking and flying model with so much Potential for customizing.

cheers

Rudi
Dec 05, 2019, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Thank you very much ! The A4 is stored for the moment. It is not on the top of my "todo" list but who knows Unfortunately Mr. Alfery have no MIG 15 anymore. The MIG 15 was my all time favorite. Unbelievable good looking and flying model with so much Potential for customizing.

cheers

Rudi
Agree. I had two over a long period - an amazing aircraft. Was trying to order a third a couple of years ago when he ran out out stock. That is how I ended up with the A4
Dec 05, 2019, 10:34 PM
It's all about scale models!
Also agree about the Mig 15. I crashed my first when I got disoriented (it was during my first year of "comeback" flying), and immediately ordered a second that still flies. Between it, the Ta and the F-86, it's the best -- no wonder it sold out first. The F-86 can only ROG with the optional drop tanks (with recessed wheels), which I did -- but as a result, it doesn't fly as well as the Mig or Ta.
Dec 05, 2019, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood
How much daylight do you have there now? In Seattle (USA) we have 8 hours and 40 minutes of it today.
We got only 6h 18min and it's getting less ... until 22 dec.
according to this https://www.timeanddate.com

Quote:
A note regarding weight: To my surprise, I found that sanding off the stock Alpha paint before repainting with a small brush and thinned plastic model enamels actually reduced the weight of my Spitfire by a few grams.
Paint and decoration weights so if You are keen on making a Alfa Model looking scale. Setup/initial weight reduction
should be carried out. Best way to remove Alfa Model paint (avoid sanding) use alcohol (clean outside fumes).

Quote:
Ice flying does sound interesting! Will you fit the model with these scale skis?
No skis yet, I hope for hard ice with a thin layer of snow or hard icy snow called "skare" in Norwegian.
Flying from an icey lake, it's like taking of from brushed asphalt but there is no close obstacles (street / parking light post).

Thanks for the photo/idea did not know that the P-26 was equiped with skis too (like Gloster Gladiator my favorite slow flying plane)
Wish Alfa had one I would have bought 10
Dec 06, 2019, 05:03 PM
nsg
nsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP
Absolutely. For many years HobbyLobby (apparently a massive North American hobby store) ...
They were unrelated to the massive crafts store (good thing, too, because I'm boycotting HobbyLobby the massive crafts store).

It was a small outfit that was done in by Chinese foam plane makers, high euro, and their own mediocrity.
Dec 07, 2019, 09:22 AM
Still Screamin'!
Being involved as I was with Hobby Lobby as they were our distributor for the Littlescreamers motor brand, I can say they were a great group of people to deal with and the factors to their eventual closing was simply the economy and the influx of Chinese influence with less expensive options albeit at usually lower quality. People simple wanted less expensive planes and supplies. Quite honestly the Chinese influx has destroyed many small company models and at the same time broadened the hobby tremendously. I like to think of it as more a "market correction" than a hostile takeover. But we as hobbyist have gained for more model options and in the end the quality is improving and the models are far better with better equipment than ever before.

Some businesses just run their natural course and are done. I feel this was the case with Hobby Lobby, Hobby People-Hobby Shack, and many more smaller and larger retailers. Just look at what Amazon has done to the brick ad mortar sellers. Love it or hate it but the consumer dictates the direction the business model moves.
Dec 07, 2019, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Being involved as I was with Hobby Lobby as they were our distributor for the Littlescreamers motor brand, I can say they were a great group of people to deal with and the factors to their eventual closing was simply the economy and the influx of Chinese influence with less expensive options albeit at usually lower quality. People simple wanted less expensive planes and supplies. Quite honestly the Chinese influx has destroyed many small company models and at the same time broadened the hobby tremendously. I like to think of it as more a "market correction" than a hostile takeover. But we as hobbyist have gained for more model options and in the end the quality is improving and the models are far better with better equipment than ever before.

Some businesses just run their natural course and are done. I feel this was the case with Hobby Lobby, Hobby People-Hobby Shack, and many more smaller and larger retailers. Just look at what Amazon has done to the brick ad mortar sellers. Love it or hate it but the consumer dictates the direction the business model moves.
Rvincent, were your in naval aviation and later a PSA pilot?

Quick Reply