XXXCappBS = 3x-carbon Cappuccino Ballistic Sloper - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2007, 11:23 PM
around Colombia
Mini-Review

XXXCappBS = 3x-carbon Cappuccino Ballistic Sloper

I don't DS much, I BS. My favorite flying style is fast, sky-eating front-side ballistic slope'n (BS), and my favorite sloper to do this with is the SRTL.
Because the SRTL is hard to replace (current waiting list stretches to 03/09) I was looking for another sloper with which to relieve my SRTL at least occasionally. I noticed the Valenta 3x-carbon Cappuccino from SoaringUSA and ordered one.
In the photo below it's taking its first kitchen-table flight. I'll divvy up this thread into the following sections:
my gripes
my likes
my modifications
my installation
and by that time, hopefully, my first flights.
It shouldn't take long, because putting together this plane appears straight forward.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2007, 11:29 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Nice, Dieter! It's really great to see you doing a review, I'm looking forward to this. While be a bit different than the typical "Dude, this is my first moldie and it ROXXX!!!" type of thing (not that there's anything wrong with those of course ).

Andy (droydx) has the regular version of this plane, and it's a great flyer. I can only imagine the 3x carbon will be stiff as can be and a great flyer, too.

Steve
Oct 31, 2007, 12:06 AM
Cal Slope Criminal@DV
Cool! a flying buddy bought a glass Cappuccino last year and really loves it but there was no ballast tube , has Valenta changed that? I have the Espresso and it carries about a pound in a tube angled in through the canopy.

Earl
Oct 31, 2007, 01:04 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
3X Carbon Nice!
White is right! Lol!!!
Todd
Oct 31, 2007, 01:05 AM
around Colombia
This one had a ballast tube, and I think they all do now... I removed it. : )
More on that under "modifications."

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Oct 31, 2007, 01:23 AM
smokin electrons...
Dieter, could you post some pics of its joiner and stuff. I heard it has a steel joiner, is that true?
Oct 31, 2007, 01:34 AM
Eagle Butte User
I finally get to see one fly. Opening day at Peterson's is just around the corner!
Oct 31, 2007, 02:08 AM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
Mine has a beefy carbon joiner. Not sure about the 3x.
Todd
ps I hope to get down to Peterson's this Fall!
Oct 31, 2007, 10:07 AM
around Colombia
This one does have a steel joiner; we'll get to it under "my likes." : )
Peterson may open tomorrow, but no south wind in sight, even in the extended forecast...
Stand by, life's happening, I'll start with gripes later this afternoon...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Oct 31, 2007, 10:27 AM
Laughs at his own jokes.
I have an Expresso and Dude, it ROXXX!!!!
Looking forward to the review.
Oct 31, 2007, 11:49 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
The stock ballast tube is way too small....go very big. I built a carbon/kevlar square holder that can handle 65 oz. The Cap likes the weight. I usually fly it with about 12-16 ounces even in very light air. My issues were with the wipers, and hinge surfaces. All required cleaning and triming to move full and easily. The full flying stab needs close attention to assembly and fit to avoid slop at the pivot.

I'm looking forward to your analysis and build report. The steel joiner sounds interesting and should help offset some of the need for internal ballast.
Andy
Latest blog entry: Doug Buchanon BAE Hawk
Oct 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
Flags blow'n, I'm go'n
"My issues were with the wipers, and hinge surfaces. All required cleaning and triming to move full and easily."
Ditto!
Todd
Oct 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
around Colombia
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Precioussss!
"My issues were with the wipers, and hinge surfaces. All required cleaning and triming to move full and easily."
Ditto!
Todd
No such problems here, all surfaces move freely and full-range. I just have some hair-splitting gripes coming up...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Oct 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
around Colombia
Good to see there are quite a few Capps out in the hands of competent people already. In fact, somebody here (Target? PGR?) has a detailed assembly thread already. Good, because this so-called mini-review really will show mostly my modifications, which focus on ballast and flap servo/linkage installation and radio gear installation in the fuselage.
But first...
Last edited by ShredAir; Oct 31, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Oct 31, 2007, 05:53 PM
around Colombia

...my gripes.

My main gripe is the fact that the fuselage for this 3x carbon Capp is barely stronger than the regular fuselage, and it is clearly outclassed by the stiffness of the wing and even the stab. Bob says in the new batch the fuselages are beefier (I've had my plane waiting in the shop since August...).
For me and my primary use, this is no big deal and the fuse is strong enough as is, but someone looking for 200+ mph DS will either have to get a stronger fuselage or reinforce the stock one; more on that later. Again, the new ones reportedly are stiffer.

Second, the leading edges (wing and stab) require a little more scraping/sanding than I'm used to. That's no big deal either, but somebody who still thinks a $1000 moldie is a holier-than-thou perfect being which only must be handled with satin gloves will be a little disappointed and maybe even scared to do the needed finish work.

Third, my favorite gripe: the smiley cuts for the rear joiner of the full-flying stab.
Ach du liebe GŁte, Herr Valenta, don't you have a smidgeon of pride in your work?! These "smiley cuts" look like a drunk rodent gnawed them into the fin. What's so hard about making a template and routing out neat smileys? Call me what you will, but I can't fly like that. So I'll just cut some decorative stickers to cover these craters.

Next: my likes, and that list is a bit longer... : )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Last edited by ShredAir; Oct 31, 2007 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply