Apr 25, 2001, 06:31 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Thread OP

Wingo Porter on Floats :D

I picked up a damaged Wingo Porter a couple of months ago, fixed it, and gave it to some neighborhood kids who fly RC and they broke it again and gave it back. Fixed it a second time and decided to keep it. I had an old set of 28" ARF floats for a 25 slimer and decided to try them on the Porter. Additional weight of floats and extra gear came to 9oz and that bought the AUW to 48oz. Not bad! I had flown it from land using the recommended 6 cell pack and decided to try that out first. Glass smooth water was too much, and I had a motorboat instead of a seaplane. Wind picked up to 5mph and a little chop on the water and yahoo! Off she went. I went home and added a cell to the 1400mah pack and tried again the next morning. Glass smooth water and in about 50' she was off and flying. This is a really nice flying seaplane now, and the only modification I made was adding extra vertical fin area to stop the dutch roll tendency. Stock 400 motors/props with HS 55 servos in the tail and a Hitec 3 radio with a Jeti 25 controler/w Astro Zero Loss Connectors. Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Smith (edited 04-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tom Smith (edited 04-25-2001).]
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2001, 11:24 AM
Hi Tom
I just got a Wingo Porter and did the first 2 test flights last week.When I built it I put 3 strips of carbon fiber strips on side of fus and 2 up the back to make fus stronger to tail boom, I heard storys about it breaking here.Also used real small hinges instead of foam hinges.I used 7*2000nicd pack at first. The wind was up to 10Km or more. Up no problem and seemed to go well with the direct drive, the turns were not to great, so on 2nd flight I max out all servos and works alot better now. The C.G they tell you is in front on wing hooks.With the 7 cell pack 2 cells were sticking half out of battery tray.There is room a 8 cell pack to fit nice inside.Did the 6 cell pack C.G work out okay?? Have made a camera mount that hooks to wheel bottom plate so no stress on body and boom.Hope to do a camera test soon.Has anyone had C.G problems with 7 cells, Seems you would really have to load the back to make the C.G and batterys fit all the way in battery tray.

Wayne
Apr 26, 2001, 05:05 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Thread OP
Wayne, the wind and those swept up wing tips don't go well. It gets knocked all over the place. Better off waiting for calmer weather. 5 to 6 mph is about it for me. With the 6 cell pack I had to put a foam block in the battery compartment to move the battery back to obtain the proper CG. It comes right to the outer edge of the box. With the 7 cell pack I had to make another foam block 1/4" shorter than the first one to attain proper CG. That battery has one cell sticking about half out of the battery box. Both packs are held in with Velcro. The guy I bought it from put fiberglass packing tape under the wing in three places. This gives some rigidity to the wing and keeps it from flexing to much. Cheap and easy. After I got the plane back from the neighborhood kids I gave it to, their crash had broken the fuselage in half. I epoxied it together and drilled two holes from inside the top of the cabin area back about 8 inches parallel to the boom. Spread some epoxy on a couple of wooden dowels and slid them down inside the holes I drilled. Stiffer than a dead cat. Worked just great and didn't add much weight.

Quick Reply