Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2007, 12:38 PM
Yippee!

VIDEO - FPV Flying From A Moving Car, Corss Country Flight :)

Here is what FPV flying from a moving car is like The wind and turbulence were crazy strong that day, but it was awesome ! If you think its hard to find your way back to the field, you should try to find you way to a moving car, its much more difficult than I thought it would be.

http://www.vimeo.com/363712

JettPilot
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2007, 01:31 PM
Free Flying
very cool. did you have someone in the car pointing the patch? how windy was it?
Oct 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Hey I see cars on that "isolated" road! Very cool Jett. I always like seeing what you'll come up with next.
Oct 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
Nice vid, Jett.
It made me think about how cool it would be to do this sort of thing for a living. I mean as a remote camera man for the movies or something. Your vid reminded me of some of those long camera shots at the ends of movies where they gently lift up from ground/car level to show the main characters riding off into the sunset (so to speak).
I have often thought about how cool it would be to do live-view traffic and news reports too. I know that we are restricted to non-comercial use, but seems it would be a lot less expensive, and actually safer than a full size news chopper overhead.
Sorry to skew off topic a bit. That was just my way of saying "great vid, just like the movies!"
Oct 30, 2007, 05:37 PM
Very cool, great work..
how fast was you going, was it in mph or kph?
Oct 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
BTW, I guess the GPS return to home feature has some slight problems when "home" keeps moving. Or if activated, I guess it just goes back to original launch point, and loiters there waiting for your arrival.
Oct 31, 2007, 12:13 AM
The problem with setting the GPS to the launch point is if I lost it far into the flight, the plane might not have fuel to get back, so I usually set it to a point ahead where I would be going. Of course my planning was not great, and to take advantage of wind, no traffic, and finding a stretch of road without trees to fly low many times we ended up doing 180's and never getting to where I thought I would end up.

It is just important to be able to take everything as it comes, because plans will change on a " mission " like this

Speed is in knots, but I was usually flying slow to not pass the car and make my fuel last for as long as possible. I did about 2 hours of flying from the car that day, 3 takeoffs and landings. I will be able to make a lot better video of this one day without a strong wind throwing me around.

JettPilot
Oct 31, 2007, 06:12 AM
You crossed the yellow line a few times there
Oct 31, 2007, 06:15 AM
Free Flying
Jett, did you have someone in the car tracking the plane with your patch or were you using an omni?
Oct 31, 2007, 07:00 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
At the end of the video it said he was using patch, someone must have been pointing it the whole time!
Oct 31, 2007, 07:03 AM
Nice!!!!
Oct 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
I was driving with one hand on the wheel, just used one eye with my goggles while I looked at road with the other, and of course my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand to fly with. And if you beleive that I have some land I am selling

I had a driver, someone that flys RC and had a real good idea of what I needed, that is very helpful keeping the car in position. My wife aimed the patch from the back seat, and I flew the plane from the passengers seat. I do think that an 8 dbi circular polarized patch mounted near the middle of the roof, pointing straight up would have been better though. I am going to try that next time.

JettPilot
Oct 31, 2007, 12:20 PM
Is that swamp land in FL? I was actually thinking about placing the 8dbi circular aiming forward on top of the car. Then maybe run an Omni on the window or something. Either way it'd be a funny looking car with plenty of antennas coming off of it.
Oct 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, might end up looking like one of the chase vans that hot-air balloon crews use. All kinds of ants. whipping in the wind!
Oct 31, 2007, 01:34 PM
Free Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
I was driving with one hand on the wheel, just used one eye with my goggles while I looked at road with the other, and of course my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand to fly with. And if you beleive that I have some land I am selling

I had a driver, someone that flys RC and had a real good idea of what I needed, that is very helpful keeping the car in position. My wife aimed the patch from the back seat, and I flew the plane from the passengers seat. I do think that an 8 dbi circular polarized patch mounted near the middle of the roof, pointing straight up would have been better though. I am going to try that next time.

JettPilot
That's pretty talented! What kind of realestate you looking to sell? I have some bank notes I acquired from a Nigerian ex-diplomat I might be willing to trade with. PM if interested.