GWS A-4 :Another famous Jet - Page 113 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 06, 2018, 12:37 AM
Person of interest
You have done a brilliant job on the build and finish alpea - really looks the business. Looking forward to the flight report.
Very interesting to hear what Pete is doing now.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2018, 06:00 PM
check for reversed controls
Thanks kk. It does look like a much more expensive rc jet. And I'm getting anxious to get it in the air too
Jan 07, 2018, 02:46 PM
And I'm very happy to report that new battery is the right stuff. With a reasonably low voltage drop my experimental power system watt metered at 450watts 30 amps at about 3/4 throttle. And at full throttle gave 700 watts 40amps. Which is pushing my motor and ESC above their limits so no full throttle passes will be allowed. At least not till I'm ready for a more powerful system....lol
Jan 07, 2018, 07:08 PM
Today would a been a great day for the maiden here in the L A Ca. Area. About 75 deg. Sunny and calm winds. Eat your heart out Easterners. Lol
Anyway on with finishing it.
I diluted the Min Wax polycrylic 25 % with rubbing alcohol and it seemed to lay on nicely with no runs ,spraying it with my cheapie Harbor Freight 4oz cap. Gravity fed mini detail spray gun.
I'm hoping it works as a water slide decal fixer cuz they aren't holding up to touching with fingers. Seems to be sealing them on pretty good. And I'm hoping to seal the white foam from soiling. I also hope it doesn't yellow in sunlight like Min Wax polyeurathane did.
I'm also gonna glass the belly with it and dryer softener sheets
Jan 14, 2018, 01:14 PM
Hot dang its nice to live in LA Ca. Another summer temperature winters day sposed to get to 83 today . right now about 75 and Skyhawk is ready to fly. Final flying weight 30.2 oz. I'm very happy with that now if I can get someone to video the maiden I'll be posting it later.
Jan 15, 2018, 10:51 AM
Still unflown but I went by the Apollo 11 field in Van Nuyes and took this photo op with some of my buddies T45s. They fly theirs in perfect formation
Feb 11, 2018, 09:39 PM
The typical afternoon breeze was up today so I hot glued a drop tank profile out of 1/8 th ply on the belly took it to my slope hill and launched it . it behaved pretty well in the 8 mph wind and didn't require any trim inputs. I didn't fully charge the 2250ma 4s battery start v. Was 15.7 I flew about 3 min using the ridge line for lift about half the flight and did a nice flop landing on short grass at the end. Landing voltage was 15.2 v and I never used more than 50% throttle. All in all it was an encouraging maiden flight
Feb 11, 2018, 09:41 PM
The drop tank keel was what I needed to launch it
Feb 11, 2018, 10:06 PM
Person of interest
Great to see the maiden went well alpea. Neat to see another Scooter in the skies.
I did a similar thing adding a small handhold on the cg. It's ply with 80 grit sandpaper glued on - works well.
Feb 25, 2018, 09:33 PM
Yesterday afternoon the on shore Westerly prevailing wind was moderately strong between 8 to 12mph I'd guess. So I took it up to my slope site hill. And the wind direction was perfect but I still loaded my powered battery. I hardly used any throttle and had no trouble maintaining altitude or even climbing when in the lift. It behaved very well for a scale jet airframe. I got behind the ridge and did a unplanned landing at the 6 minute mark. And the nose snapped off cleanly or I would have flown longer. The 6 min. Flight used 630 ma of the 2400 ma pack so in conditions like those I think I can get flight times of 15 to 20 minuets. Which is unheard of on a EDF jet.
Feb 25, 2018, 09:42 PM
After I get a few more flights with the motoring battery I am going to see how well it does 8 ounces lighter and put a 4 s AA receiver pack in the nose and just slope soar it
Mar 08, 2018, 02:43 PM
Foam Flingin' Nitro Pilot

More Powa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41
I do have a Turning 5000ma 5s 40c pack which would work for testing , but it's way too big for this plane
Not necessarily... back in 2009 I flew mine with a 5000mah 5s 20c brick.
Of course, I had a JS1400 and a HET 70mm fan in it...

It actually flew great, but an optimal setup on this plane would be a 4s 5000mah pack with a 1400 watt power system.
On second thought, I didn't have retracts on that one, so probably a 4s 4000 would be better, to allow weight for retracts...

It does require high alpha landings, but the extra weight gives it a great feel in the air.
Oh, and of course, no hand-launching at that weight... oomph! splat!
Mar 22, 2018, 06:04 PM
Some people like "fat bottom girls" and some people ,,,,,,

I like em light and floaty. I'm not a rc club member and don't have a paved runway to start and finish my flights on. Right now I fly off a sloping hill with a trimmed wild grass landing area. So 4 pound edfs with retracts and 1400 watts of go fast doesnt fit my field. My next GWS light weight effort is underway its a B2 I'm modifying for elevator and ailerons separate cuz I don't like the plastic coupling devices. It will be powered by a single 50 mm fan in the center fuse.with ducting to the inlets. It will also be hand launch
Apr 16, 2018, 08:39 PM
My motor fan combo had gotten loose cuz I bent the shaft installing it. So I replaced it with a Aero sky motor on the stock 4 blade fan. It's still pretty light and with a new China hobby line li po. A 1500 ma 4s 70 c all the way forward it has a good flying speed
Apr 19, 2018, 07:33 PM
And today on a flight going good I risked a full throttle burst and shreaded the stock fan. I knew right away what happened so I cut throttle and had enough air speed and altitude to glide to a hill top landing close to me. There are advantages to a light flying weight.

Quick Reply