Retracts for Tom Hunt's Beech 18 - RC Groups
Dec 07, 2002, 09:54 PM
Superhero, Third Class

Retracts for Tom Hunt's Beech 18

Well, the pace at which I'm progressing on this model can only be described as "glacial," but I finally got the landing gear in and working. The mains are Robart 600s, driven by a Cirrus CS26BB; the tailwheel is operated by a Robart micro, powered by a Cirrus CS21BB.

A problem that still remains is how to operate the gear doors on the mains(I'm not putting doors on the tailwheel). The doors will be cut from the vacuformed nacelles, but I haven't been able to come with a good way to activate them. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Tom, if you're out there, what adhesive/paint/surface prep do you recommend for the plastic parts? I've been using Tamiya acrylics, and would like to stick with them--if they'll stick to the plastic.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mains installation:
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2002, 09:55 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Tailwheel:
Dec 09, 2002, 02:26 PM
H2OFLY
What is the wingspan on the -18?

This one is on my Must Build list for my next life.

Thanks,

Terry
Dec 09, 2002, 03:39 PM
Superhero, Third Class
49.5" You can find the plans here:

http://www.modelairtech.com/index.html

Jeff
Dec 09, 2002, 07:06 PM
H2OFLY
Jeff,

Thanks -

Looking for a larger one - about 85 inches.

Terry
Dec 09, 2002, 07:34 PM
You can operate the gear doors by the wheels themselves. Use a rubber band to close the doors as the wheels retract.
Dec 10, 2002, 08:19 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Dorme:

Thanks. That was actually the first thing I came up with; eventually, for some reason, I didn't think it would work very well, so I moved on to other ideas. Your reply gives me more confidence that I can get it to work.

Jeff
Dec 10, 2002, 10:51 PM
when you detail the cabin, don't forget the "facilities"

D-18s had a funnel attached to a tube (that led outside) back in the baggage compartment... girls just had to hold it
Aug 05, 2010, 04:19 AM
What's 3D?
Heya mate, did you ever get the beech finished and flying, would love to hear about your experiances with it! I have recently ordered the plans from Tom, upsized to 60" and was looking at adding retracts, and flaps.

Cheers
Craig