Oct 22, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 UPGRADES

I know it's all listed somewhere on the net right now but can we collect the upgrade info to this great plane and put it in one place. I want to build my next one up right. (FAST!!!)

Please list your upgrade info. Even if you only changed the lipo to a 4s and used the stock motor/EDF I'd like to know your results (life span)

Motor
EDF fan
EDF Housing
ESC
Battery

Required mod's to make it fit

Short success or failure report (run times and life span)
Speed if you have it
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2007, 01:54 PM
Still Screamin'!
Ok here we go!

I used an Alfa fan with 5 blade rotor. I also used a Jet Screamer motor and a CC-35 ESC. An Impulse 4S 2500 battery.
I mounted the motor back 2 1/2" from stock position so it would CG correctly with the larger battery. I also added a rudder because I LOVE doing knife edge passes. I used Krylon H2O primer and sanded between 3 coats to make it smooth. I used Tamiya "TS" series paint for the White, Red, and finnally clear coats. I t had 3 HS-55 servos and a Mikro Designs reciever. I also added a "How Fast" speed measuring device so I can know for sure how fast it is really going. I made the bottom removable so I have access to the fan unit and ESC. I currently have 27 flights on it and its parked in the hangar until the Superfly event in Vegas in 2 weeks. I also made my own decals from Testors clear waterslide decal paper then clear coated them so they wouldn't run when they got wet. They were applied after the paint was done and then clear coated over the top of them so they will never peel off My current best level pass is 118.6 mph level flight and 126 mph out of a dive. Here is a video of the plane as well

http://media.putfile.com/Hobby-Peopl...m-Scream-Style
Oct 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
I have an LSJS motor rcvincent. Which Alfa 60/25 fan am I supposed to get? The one for the Mega @ 44.90 or the other one which is 39.90? Both come with the 5blade rotor, but the mega version accepts a larger diameter motor where the normal alfa 5blade fan takes a 25.mm motor. Which one to buy? I also have to get the 3mm rotor plug right?
Oct 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
Still Screamin'!
The regular fan not the Mega one. Also get your 3mm adapter from Wilson Co. His run absolutely true
Oct 23, 2007, 03:20 PM
Let's see some knife edge videos!
Oct 23, 2007, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
The regular fan not the Mega one. Also get your 3mm adapter from Wilson Co. His run absolutely true
Link if you have one pls?
Oct 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
PM "Wilson Co" to order the adapter.
Oct 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
My current best level pass is 118.6 mph level flight and 126 mph out of a dive. Here is a video of the plane as well
Bob,

Have any posted video of those passes?

Don
Oct 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
Still Screamin'!
Hi Don,
The only video I have is of the maiden, the same one already posted. I'll get more for sure while in Vegas I will also show the "How Fast" reader with it's speeds too. With all the wind damage I have, and the fact I still need to finish 2 planes before Vegas (Nov 9,10,11) I might not get the chance to fly again before then.
Oct 23, 2007, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Great rvincent thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify... There seems to always be confusion on the actual parts required to duplicate this beast.

ALF5103 Alfa EDF 60/25 Electric Ducted Fan ..... $ 39.90
MMC5156 LittleScreamers "JetScreamer" Ducted Fan OUTRUNNER with 21mm Adapter ..... $ 74.70
And Wilson Co adapter instead of the LSJS/Hobbylobby adapter?

and 4s batt with 35-40 amp 3-4cell lipo capable ESC

Anyone else or is everyone using this setup? (seems like it)
Oct 23, 2007, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
Great rvincent thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify... There seems to always be confusion on the actual parts required to duplicate this beast.

ALF5103 Alfa EDF 60/25 Electric Ducted Fan ..... $ 39.90
MMC5156 LittleScreamers "JetScreamer" Ducted Fan OUTRUNNER with 21mm Adapter ..... $ 74.70
And Wilson Co adapter instead of the LSJS/Hobbylobby adapter?

and 4s batt with 35-40 amp 3-4cell lipo capable ESC

Anyone else or is everyone using this setup? (seems like it)
Looks like a winning shopping list. The Wilson Co adapter runs smoother than Alfas .
Oct 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Shopping list>> I wish there was a sticky for this plane just for this reason. You fly the stock one and then immediately think "I MUST HAVE MORE SPEED" Not because the stock system isn't great. No it's due to the good old lust for more of a good thing.

I must admit that's my plan. My first foray into EDF was with the stock F16. I was really impressed with the kit. The build is fast and easy, the hand launching is easy and the stock speed is addictive. I've been spending most of my time flying my heli's and only pull out my planes when I'm looking to relax. This has changed my view of flying planes.

I think I like knee knock!
Oct 23, 2007, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
Shopping list>> I wish there was a sticky for this plane just for this reason. You fly the stock one and then immediately think "I MUST HAVE MORE SPEED" Not because the stock system isn't great. No it's due to the good old lust for more of a good thing.

I must admit that's my plan. My first foray into EDF was with the stock F16. I was really impressed with the kit. The build is fast and easy, the hand launching is easy and the stock speed is addictive. I've been spending most of my time flying my heli's and only pull out my planes when I'm looking to relax. This has changed my view of flying planes.

I think I like knee knock!
Oct 24, 2007, 06:49 AM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Hi Don,
The only video I have is of the maiden, the same one already posted. I'll get more for sure while in Vegas I will also show the "How Fast" reader with it's speeds too. With all the wind damage I have, and the fact I still need to finish 2 planes before Vegas (Nov 9,10,11) I might not get the chance to fly again before then.
Sounds good. So to clarify the 118mph was on a stock LSJS? or one of the "hot winds" you guys have been testing?

Don
Oct 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
Still Screamin'!
Yes its a stock JS. Been playing with the rotor though I thinned down the trailing edges of the 5 blade (about 1/32"). It started out as an accident I had a chip out of one of the blades on the trailing edge. I kinda shaped it by leaving the root alone and tapering it down at the tip. Now when I check my efflux I get 134-136. All this was done after that video. I'm reading 50K now for rpm's. Sometimes we just get lucky And all because I'm too cheap to plunk down another $12 for a new rotor I don't know why the efflux is bouncing between 134-136? I can't hear any motor fluxuation. Maybe just my fat fingers holding the tubes moving ever so slightly?

Quick Reply