Oct 21, 2007, 02:28 PM
Slacker
Thread OP
Gallery

Hampstead Heath, London, UK

Beautiful sunny weather this weekend in London with very little wind so I wanted to take the opportunity for some aerial shots. Hampstead Heath is a large park in north west London from where there are some good views of the city. This was my first time flying there and it's a good site, though like most places around here it pays to get there early to avoid the crowds.

Pics below.

Ben.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2007, 02:37 PM

aerial pics

:those are top pics mate what is your set up ie plane and camera im just getting started out in this so tips come in handy .......mark lllll
Oct 21, 2007, 02:42 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
You've got some really nice shots there Ben!

The misty ones in particular.

You didn't see George Michael with his pants round his ankles by any chance?!!

Paul.
Oct 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
Real Time Recon
You like misty shots................This one i call "sun rise lake mist"........RTR
Oct 21, 2007, 03:09 PM
Slacker
Thread OP
LOL Paul! If I find George in one of my pics, perhaps I can make a packet selling it to the tabloids. Aerial paparazzi!

@mmark: My setup's very unoriginal. Plane: Easystar. Camera: Canon A620. The Easystar is a brilliant model for AP (as many have said before) and you can't go wrong starting out with it. As for the A620, you can't buy them new anymore but I imagine the newer version, the A640, takes as good, if not better pictures.
Oct 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
Slacker
Thread OP
Here are a couple more misty shots for you.
Oct 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
Fly light, keep it slow.
Ben,

Your pictures have come out superbly, I especially like the houses captured with the autumn sun square on the front elevation. Looks like you have the right touch.

Cheers

Andrew

None from me this weekend, in my one and only AP flight, a sticky lens eyelid obscured half the frame, then to add insult to injury, my ESC "let out its smoke"
Oct 21, 2007, 09:35 PM
Wonderful pictures!
Oct 21, 2007, 09:39 PM
Very good sortie McFly! It's strange, I often go walking over the Heath, watch the kites, for some reason never thought of flying there!
Oct 22, 2007, 05:42 AM
Slacker
Thread OP
Thanks for all your comments

Macboffin, it was your mention of the Heath that prompted me to look into flying there! Whenever I've wandered around that area before there've been lots of kite flyers but this weekend it was too still for kites so there was plenty of space to fly.
Oct 22, 2007, 06:12 AM
HeliAP'er!
Lovely colourful and misty photos Mc_Fly ! One doesn't see photos of London like that every day Almost looks like smog!

Thanks for sharing

David
Oct 22, 2007, 11:23 AM
olivier
Lovely place to dwell at , but don't forget your home street number if you don't want to mix up after a few drinks

very nice shots

olivier
Oct 22, 2007, 12:17 PM
mem
mem
Hi mc fly, great pics, thanks for posting. And it was good seeing you there this weekend. I fly my Alula glider on the heath but am very careful about flying anything big or powered where people are around, and unfortunately that includes all the decent landing areas on Hampstead Heath. In fact, while flying my little 100 gram foam glider yesterday, I lady approached me and expressed her concerns about the potential danger of RC airplanes on the heath. She mentioned that she saw a large blue and white plane flying fast the previous morning and would have complained had she come across someone in authority! So be aware that there is some sensitivity to us exercising our hobby there. I have asked the heath authorities about flying gliders there and they said (unofficially) its ok as long as its not perceived as a potential annoyance to people or pets. I was very tempted to fly my AP Easystar after seeing yours, particularly after seeing those great shots you posted, but think it may it may not a good thing to do.

I do my AP from the Copthall sports ground in Barnet. Attached is an AP looking towards Wembly stadium and a map of the field (compliments of google)
Oct 22, 2007, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc_Fly_
Thanks for all your comments

Macboffin, it was your mention of the Heath that prompted me to look into flying there! Whenever I've wandered around that area before there've been lots of kite flyers but this weekend it was too still for kites so there was plenty of space to fly.
I last flew there many years ago, can't think why I didn't continue, but glad you did, great shots!
Oct 23, 2007, 09:21 AM
Slacker
Thread OP
Hi mem,

Thanks for the heads up on your encounter on Sunday. In light of this, I agree - perhaps it's best not to fly at that location again. Although I had lots of positive comments from onlookers, I'd prefer not to fly there if I'm making someone feel they're in danger.

Thanks for that pic. The one below is a crop of one mine, also pointed towards Wembley Stadium taken from some distance away in Hendon.

Ben.

Quick Reply