Dec 07, 2002, 10:50 AM
Thread OP

Anyone have Horizon Hobby's Ascent Glider?

The Ascent ARF by e-flite, distributed by Horizon seems like a nice, inexpensive small E powered glider that one can keep in the car and throw into the air whenever one needs a quick fly "fix." Anyone have one? Are there any reviews on it?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2002, 10:02 AM

Ascent

I hear it won't be released until January. It looks interesting though.
Dec 09, 2002, 12:51 AM
Ron D,

I have flown a pre-production model since before the NEAT Fair. It is a very nice flying glider. It is aimed at the park flyer market and I think it fits well in that area. I fly it at a community recreation center off of a softball diamond. It climbs out fairly quickly on the installed motor(basic mabuchi 380). On a 8cell 600ae pack you can get 6-7 climbs to 400+ft. I don't think they are in stock yet, but the first of the year sounds about right. If you want more info let me know.

Steve R.
Dec 09, 2002, 01:08 AM
Steve,

Yes, more info please! eg, how much space is there in the fuze? it is possible to use a side-by-side stick pack? basically, what type of batt, config? also thinking of motor/GB upgrade.
Dec 09, 2002, 08:21 AM

Ascent

Steve,

Is it a single piece wing and how does it mount?
Dec 09, 2002, 10:44 AM
Aspire:

Two piece wing with an aluminum tube spar joiner. Mounts with two 4-40 or 6-32 screws(I'll have to check if it matters) and washers.

Built in battery tray fits 8 600ae cells, 4x2 sticks, thats what I'm using.

Has built in servo tray, JR241's just drop in. Push rods already installed. You need to mount and hinge rud/elev. Motor and folding prop already installed. Covering wa complete and nicely done. Room for rc'vr a little limited, I servo taped mine(JR-700) to the top of the fuse. Really not much to do to get it flying(maybe 3 hours if your slow like me!!!)

Endless choices on motor up grades, but I'll planning on swapping to a Hacker B20-15 or 18L(4x1 gbox) and some Maxx/Hecells

Steve R.
Dec 09, 2002, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the information rojos. Sounds like what I'm looking for - small, ARF, nice flyer, durable. The built in servo tray is a great idea too. Most of the fiberglass fuses have nothing inside and you're left to your own devices to find a way to mount the servos - most of which don't work very well - at least the methods I've tried don't.
Jan 21, 2003, 11:40 PM

Price!

I got one today from the LHS.

All I can say is PRICE!

I usually fly high performance gliders ( Eraser Extreme, NSP Omega 3, and Avenger DLG ), and electrics are a way of just sheer fun and relaxation. While Flying the Big guys is the best, it is nice sometimes just to crank out a couple electric birds. After work, short break, etc.

Since past summer, ive been having loads of fun with small electric models. Im in need of a model expansion card for my Futaba 9CA now...

Anyhow, I got a Kelly 13oo this summer, basically because it was so darned cute! Turns out it is an excellent flyer too. I saw this plane, the Ascent, for less than I paid for the Kelly! It was almost a no brainer. Everything is basically done except radio installlation to boot. It cost me 68.00. That seems unbelievable!

Anyhow... I will have it flyable soon, and will post a pilot report if the weather gets above 25 degrees with no wind. I might be waiting on that for a while.

Chip
Jan 22, 2003, 12:27 AM
25 degrees and no wind-- what part of the south you from? That's almost tropical here.

Hope you get to fly it soon. I'm looking to get one too.
Jan 22, 2003, 03:12 AM
Looks like a nice kit. Wing is slightly undercambered and thin. Nice florescent red Ultracoat transparent covering. Pod/boom is glass. For the money, it might be the next "gotta have" plane. As stated, the wing is two piece.
Frank
Jan 22, 2003, 12:57 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Just got my plane today
It was hard to pass up
Looks good in the box
Will try to put it together soon and let you know how it works out

SPFD
Jan 23, 2003, 12:07 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Great...Just when I told my wife that I wouldnt get anymore planes for a while, I look at this thread, now I have an impending feeling of doom. So before I get myself in more hot watter, how much would you think everything would cost (plane, esc, batterys 2 of em,spinner &prop and motor)? Or does it come with some of the above? For those of you that already have one, do you think I could use a KR-1700AU Zagi battery (8 cell AA size)? Thanks...R....
Jan 23, 2003, 04:01 AM
anybody have a picture of one?.....none of the www sites that offer this plane have a picture listed
Jan 23, 2003, 08:19 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Wingspan: 54" / Length: 32 3/8 " / Weight: 19.5 oz
Motor: Speed 400 / Requires 7-8 cell 500-800 mAh battery
15-20 amp ESC / 3-4 ch. radio w/ micro servos

SPFD
Jan 23, 2003, 04:31 PM
Saw one today at the LHS and it looks really nice. Lots of nice touches like pre mounted decals. The polyhedral is all ready built in. The covering is tight and wrinkle free. Glass work looks top shelf.

I did notice one difference between the kit I saw and the one pictured in another thread. The prop blades on the one I saw were or at least appeared to be thinner-more in the order of the props offered by Robbe and Dymond. Could be just a matter of picture quality or shadows. Really don't mean much.

Money flows on Feb 1. Plane in my inventory Feb 3.

Quick Reply