Oct 20, 2007, 01:16 PM
Bought at a price.
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV/RPV versus UAV? What's the difference.

I know that it's a rudimentary question, but I've been away from RC for a while & as I come back, this looks very interesting.

So please help a newbie out with the basic differences and perhaps even a quick 'how to get started'.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2007, 01:51 PM
K4UAV
In my opinion, autopilot with GPS waypoint processing. The ability to fly "un-manned".
-dave
Oct 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
Live FPV or Die
Agree
fpv plane need a pilot to control them, they are like ordinary r/c plane and constantly need pilot input or it will crash rapidly.
UAV have stabilization to level wing and gps to control rudder and throttle for direction and altitude holding

Our goal is to get the joy to fly a real airplane inside a real envirronement without laws to restrict where we fly, like between trees inside a park, try to do that with real plane
Also the satisfaction of doing something different at the edge of technology. video-piloting or fpv as really started only one years ago, before that few peoples knows it was possible at low cost.
Oct 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
I also imagine UAV's, most being military, can also perform long term long range flight patterns from pre-programmed or uplinked data with autonomous systems. FPV requires almost constant pilot attention and can provide enjoyable viewing experiences for RCG members, whatever happens.

Last edited by jimmy sparks; Oct 20, 2007 at 02:50 PM.
Oct 20, 2007, 04:12 PM
As the above have pointed out.. UAV is mostly the "Unmanned" or "Uninhibited" vehicle that can perform a mission. The term FPV/RPV was coined from the early UAV days when craft were piloted via radio control and human guided via a video downlink. The idea behind the forum was to split off from the AP and UAV group. Granted we could probably still fit in the UAV group, but most of those guys are doing missions beyond the scope of FPV.
Oct 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
Bought at a price.
Thread OP
Thanks guys. So UAV means that there's a level of automation? If so, FPV/RPV sounds more appealing to me.
Oct 20, 2007, 08:45 PM
By definition - An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is an aircraft with no onboard pilot. UAVs can be remote controlled or fly autonomously based on pre-programmed flight plans or more complex dynamic automation systems. [1]

So by definition any aircraft without a pilot on board can be a UAV. That's including but not limited to model airplanes. For simplicity we consider FPV (First Person View / From Pilots View) basically putting a camera on board the plane and flying around using goggles. Of course you don't have to go entirely that complex. Some of us are still using just a camera and a video monitor to watch.

[1] - Wikipedia
Oct 20, 2007, 08:56 PM
Live FPV or Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
By definition - An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is an aircraft with no onboard pilot.

[1] - Wikipedia
I can read the definition, but I'm not convince we fly uav. For me near all uav can be fly remotly, but at this moment it cease to be an "unmanned" control aircraft and become remotly control by human. When no human control the plane, onboard or remotly, it's an "unmanned aeial vehicle"
All r/c planes have no onboard pilot and are not consider as UAV
Oct 20, 2007, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
I can read the definition, but I'm not convince we fly uav.
Tell that to the FAA and the AMA
Oct 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
FPV = First Person View

RPV = Remote Piloted Vehicle

UAV = Unmanned Aeial Vehicle
Oct 21, 2007, 11:44 PM
FPV Pilot
Here's some more info for a FPV newbie that might help .
Oct 22, 2007, 12:10 PM
UAVPilot - Almost...
I'm going to agree with Denis on the definitions. I fly FPV/RPV when I want to 'go flying' as I am the direct operating pilot.

When I equip my plane with an amout of automation, I am adding UAV capacility. I am the not longer the pilot but the air traffic controller who provides instructions to the UAV, which is the direct operating pilot.

There is probably a good debate on how much automatic capability gets to the UAV category, and I am also sure there are vehicles (like mine!) that fall into both categories depending on their current use (autopilot engaged or not, etc). Does a wing leveler mean you have a UAV? I don't believe is does because it is not navigating, but I am sure there is room for discussion. How about accelerometers or GPS? You get the idea.

I think you need to have navigational capability to be a UAV, but thats just me :-)

Paul
Oct 22, 2007, 07:25 PM
Bought at a price.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Here's some more info for a FPV newbie that might help .
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

That's the kind of thing that I've been hoping for. Some kind of 'quick start' guide. Now for some reading!
Oct 22, 2007, 07:31 PM
What?!?! You never heard of Crashes' site? It's like the Holy Bible of FPV site MAN!!!! It's a great place to start understanding this cool hobby from the beginning!
Jan 31, 2016, 07:31 AM
A man with too many toys

What is a RPV?

sUAS is defined by the FAA as within VLOS.

I think that long range FPV flying should be called RPV flying. That would eliminate much confusion.
http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...n-uav-and-rpv/

Quick Reply