Oct 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
AMA 670207
Build Log

Pettigrew Blackburn Beverly Build

Okay.

Well I told LukeZ that I wasn't going to start a build thread on another Ivan monster plane but what the heck! I couldn't resist. Here goes.....

Now before I begin, I just want to say this build log isn't going to be like the Mars. That was way too taxing. But I do know of a couple of Ivan fans out there that are going to build the Bev as well. So if you feel up to it guys, please chime in on this thread. The more, the merrier.

The pictures will be just a basic buildup. Not a step by step.

I'll post pictures once I get home.

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Oct 19, 2007 at 06:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
AMA 670207
So lets get started!

I'm not going to build the Beverly all at once. I plan to do the major assembly after the holiday season. It's a lot easier on my stress level. But for now, I'll just cut out formers, ribs, and sticks. Basically, kitting it to assemble later.

I started with the landing gear assemblies, then moved to the main wing spar and outer wing tip spars. Not pictured are the rudder and fin spars and the elevator and h-stab spars. They are easy to cut out and it looks like you're getting a lot done!

For tonights work, I'll cut out the wing ribs.

Stay tuned....
Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Oct 19, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Oct 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
Okay.

Well I told LukeZ that I wasn't going to start a build thread on another Ivan monster plane but what the heck! I couldn't resist. Here goes.....

Perry
AH HA! Well, I for one am happy that you are doing this! Now I get to bug you to death about my build!!!

Looking great so far - took me a minute to figure out what you were doing with the Home Despot ruler

As for my scheme, I think I'll do the same as Ivan, but with the yellow stripe on the tail boom (gotta find that pic again!)

So, you have to tell me what power plants you are going with and if you are going to use the vario props.

Looking forward to this!!
Oct 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
AH HA! Well, I for one am happy that you are doing this! Now I get to bug you to death about my build!!!

Looking great so far - took me a minute to figure out what you were doing with the Home Despot ruler

As for my scheme, I think I'll do the same as Ivan, but with the yellow stripe on the tail boom (gotta find that pic again!)

So, you have to tell me what power plants you are going with and if you are going to use the vario props.

Looking forward to this!!
Bug away Steve!

Yeah, you gotta love the HD yardsticks...er spar beams. For powerplants, I will be using the Mag Mayhem and Master Airscrew 3.5:1 gearboxes. If you go to the classifieds "power systems" forums, you will see a thread I posted for the Mag Mayhems since Kyosho no longer makes them. I was fortunate enough to get all four motors from some of ouresteemed Ezone collegues. Thanks guys!

Oh...and yes. I will be using Varios Props. Care of Jeff Small at E-Flightline.com But I do have the original set of Master Airscrew props I used on the Mars during her first flights.

Perry
Oct 19, 2007, 08:25 PM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
You mean this one Steve?
Oct 19, 2007, 08:26 PM
AMA 670207
Or this one?
Oct 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
96RC/3178W
Rudderman98,

Thats such a cool plane, and an awesome project! I wish you all the best!!

I have a few questions though.

Where did you get the plans from? I just checked his website and they are not up yet, so I am asuming you shot him an email and he sent a set to you.

Second, what is the overall wingspan of this design? I heard it was the biggest of Ivans fleet yet but I never got a number.

Thanks a lot and good luck,

~Matt

I'm checking in.
Oct 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudderman98
Or this one?

That's the one! Thanks.

Well, since I didn't grab the old brushed motors when I should have, I don't have that option, but I am still going to run a gearbox though - or should I say belt box? I am going to try the Olympus drive on some speed 600's I have.

Since this model is so light I think I'll run A123's cells in it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13

Where did you get the plans from? I just checked his website and they are not up yet, so I am assuming you shot him an email and he sent a set to you.
Yes that is exactly what we did LukeZ (thanks Luke!) was kind enough to do the footwork for us (well, me anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Second, what is the overall wingspan of this design? I heard it was the biggest of Ivans fleet yet but I never got a number.
135in. nice size

Cheers,
Steve
Last edited by steve1814; Oct 19, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Oct 19, 2007, 09:32 PM
96RC/3178W
Thanks Steve!!

Thats a definate airplane to add to my "To Do" list. Exept it will be pushed to the very last because of my age and building skill. I'm gonna have to watch for now but later on in maby 5 years or so( ) I'll start.
Got to finnish my Solent first!!!

~Matt
Oct 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Soil Sampler
Brushed motors????Round batteries???

Tsk, tsk, tsk.......Perry, what am I going to do with you?

Well, after I mail you a 2008 calendar, I will remind you that we have an "in" on cheap brushless/lipo set ups.....

And while I have you down, don't you have a couple of other "ugly" planes that need to be finished before you start another???

HAAAA! Just jammin' you, dude!
That looks like another winner to me!

TimO
Oct 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim61
Brushed motors????Round batteries???

Tsk, tsk, tsk.......Perry, what am I going to do with you?

Well, after I mail you a 2008 calendar, I will remind you that we have an "in" on cheap brushless/lipo set ups.....

And while I have you down, don't you have a couple of other "ugly" planes that need to be finished before you start another???

HAAAA! Just jammin' you, dude!
That looks like another winner to me!

TimO
Thanks buddy.....

Yeah, I do have a couple of "uglies" to get out of the way first but this is just a " cut the pieces out " session right now. No real construction yet. I still have to finish my building table for my magnetic jigs before I move forward.

I thought about the brushless motors but the Kyosho's have done me pretty good. And the ones in the Mars are hardly broke in after four years!

Perry
Last edited by Rudderman98; Oct 19, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
Oct 20, 2007, 03:49 AM
Oh boy - here we go into the dark vortex again. Glad it's you this time, I'm taking a break! Just going to sit back and watch the wood shavings fly.

Luke
Oct 20, 2007, 07:41 AM
Student of Ivan
I was hoping if I waited long enough you'd start a thread Perry ...then I can tag onto your's when I start building mine , which will be very soon...

John
Oct 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
Oh boy - here we go into the dark vortex again. Glad it's you this time, I'm taking a break! Just going to sit back and watch the wood shavings fly.

Luke
You deserve a break Luke. Your Solent adventure sure got my juices flowing again.

So heres another thread you can add to your "Ivan's build thread and video's" page. I'm sure you'll be adding more soon......right Steve and Jim?

Perry

Quick Reply