*** Beginner's Shopping List *** - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 03, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hit Me! Please!
I'd say just try it. Better yet if you've got an amp meter.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2008, 12:54 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The Turnigy 1700 is a tough motor. I had been using a glow 7x6 prop on it until I broke them all in combat. Now I am using the 7x6 APC and breaking even more. I wish the T-1700 had a prop saver.

Test concept.

I have been asked dozens of times for a thin wing Assassin. Sorry, there isn't going to be one!!!! But------ we now have a thin wing called the Widowmaker named after the world famous hang gliding and motorcycle climbing hill 20 minutes from where I live where we love to fly RC.

The new 34" Widowmaker is designed around a competition thin high lift low drag airfoil but has the same shape as the Assassin. It is hard to tell the two planes apart in a picture but the way they fly is much different.

The 34" Widowmaker glides like the 58" Grim Reaper FPV plane we cut. I have flown Widowmakers in combat and they have taken abuse. They are still EPP cores with EPP elevons and use the same building instructions and techniques. The thin wing in the Widowmaker is so thin the servos and batteries have to be laid on their side. Top end speed with a motor is is about the same as the Assassin but the glide is better with the Widowmaker. The Assassin has a gentler stall and the thicker wing protects the battery better is a little stiffer and it lands a little easier The Assassin doesn't need fins the Widowmaker does.. Both planes are fun to fly.

We are going to include the same motor mount, laminate and hardware in both kits kit so you can park fly it if you want to and then remove the motor for the slope. Building instructions are the same as the Assassin.

We have great soaring sites here in Utah. I know of at least 6 sites within an hour that are world class hang gliding and RC gliding sites.. Some of the first designs that I did were for the slope and some of our planes performed better than the kit planes flying there. I remember taking a flying wing to a contest before flying wings were popular and I got banned from a contest because I could turn so fast with a wing they put me in my own class that no one else was competing in.
Last edited by Lee; Sep 16, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Mar 04, 2008, 04:44 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Where do you get your 7x6 APC E ? Are they the Hobbycity brand?
Jul 22, 2008, 10:07 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Please tell what batteries you recommend and which ones you won't buy again.
Dec 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
The Lord duke, Crown Prince

Flight Batteries

Can the Pinata be powered with NiMH batteries or do you have to use lipo batteries. If NiMH can be used, which ones, how many, and where do I get um?
THX, J
Dec 10, 2008, 08:08 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal.bulldog
Can the Pinata be powered with NiMH batteries or do you have to use lipo batteries. If NiMH can be used, which ones, how many, and where do I get um?
THX, J
NO

Sure you could fly it with any battery you want. Heck you could get long wires and connect them to the car battery and then run them to the plane any try and fly it. You could only go as far as the wires would allow and then have to turn around. As for anything other than 3 cell lipo in the 1300 range just waste of money. It wont work but don't let anyone stop you.

It will be a lead sled with anything other than the 3 cell 1300 range lipos Lee recommends.

NO

Did I mention NO, don't waste your time on anything other than a 3 cell lipo. But once again feel free to experiment, Lee has spent a zillion dollars on various options and if he recommends it. Well thats plenty good for me.
Dec 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
In reviewing Lees original post it is obvious he has not spent much time on the Pinata. He just has not given sufficient info to succeed with.

Maybe we could ask Lee to do a little more testing on this and get back with us.
Feb 15, 2009, 09:57 PM

DX5e?

Lee,

You recommend the DX6i transmitter. Just wondering if you have had an opportunity to evaluate the DX5e. The DX5e looks like a solid option for a beginner (like myself) at half the price of the DX6i.

Any insights?
Feb 16, 2009, 09:52 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttacj1
Lee,

You recommend the DX6i transmitter. Just wondering if you have had an opportunity to evaluate the DX5e. The DX5e looks like a solid option for a beginner (like myself) at half the price of the DX6i.

Any insights?
I don't know anything about it other than what I just read on the Horizon Hobby site. As far as I know no one in our group is flying one. I hear it uses the same technology but lacks some of the programing features. I have used basic radios with my sons for the sake of saving money but they have outgrown the radios and want more bells and whistles.

There is a basic level of function that most people want. It all depends on where you are planning on going in the hobby.

Is the receiver compatible with the other Spektrum radios? If not you can't upgrade and use the old receiver.

Are you aware it can only be programmed to fly one plane not multiple planes? It will take multiple radios or rebinding and trimming every time you fly more than one airplane with this radio.

My dad always said don't cut out features you really want for the sake of a few dollars or you will end up spending more when you upgrade later.

There are things on the DX6i I will never use but some of the programing like dual rates and expo and mixing options I am using on most of my planes. I also have a full memory with 10 receivers and flyable planes on the one transmitter now. Who would have thought?????

I like my DX6i so well I now have 2 of them.
Last edited by Lee; Feb 16, 2009 at 10:11 AM.
Feb 16, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hit Me! Please!
I've got a DX5e that came with my Corsair. I'm mainly using it as a backup radio, flying my indoor heli with it, and keeping it around in case someone needs to buddy box with me. The main disadvatages compared to the DX6i are the lack of programming and the lack of model memory. You have to bind it to each plane you fly. It won't remember binding or trim settings when you fly a different plane with it. However, as a startup radio if you've only got one or two planes I think it would work well. It is certainly as good as many of the less expensive 72mHz radios we used to fly with.

It is compatible with all the Spektrum receivers so that shouldn't be a problem.
Mar 14, 2009, 06:50 PM
This is what Lee and I just decided for a startup shopping list
Note: Unable to get the 3mm prop saver so we will be drilling out the 2.3mm

R1350-30-3 Rhino 1350mAh 3S1P 30C Lipoly Pack 6 Reserved
SUP20A SuperSimple 20A ESC 3 Reserved
FC2812 FC 28-12 Brushless Outrunner 1534 4 Reserved
TR-5011 Turnigy 2-3 Cell Lipoly Balance/Ch 3 Reserved
9306MG 9306MG Metal Gear Servo 7.4g / 1. 3 Reserved
HXT900 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro S 8 Reserved
APC7x6-E APC style propeller 7x6-E 20 Reserved
OR019-00501-2.3 Prop Saver w/ Band 2.3mm 4 Reserved
AM1052-15CM JR Y Servo Lead 15CM Length 2 Reserved
AM1043-15CM 15CM Servo Lead Extention (JR) 26 4 Reserved
AM1033A T-Connectors 10 Pairs (20pc) 1 Reserved

ScottB
Mar 15, 2009, 03:01 AM
hehehe beat you to the 3mm prop savers by a couple hours. they have 880 of them in anodized blue for 1.95 a pop if you dont feel like drilling them out and want to give them a call.

hate having to wait on the SS ESC backorders tho. blah!
Mar 15, 2009, 08:26 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
I asked Scott if he would please post a first order so others can see what they will need to get going. I get asked for a list like this so often I may move it to the first post.

They still have the SS 20A ESCs that he ordered.

We have drilled out the prop savers before and they drill out easy.

We forgot motor mounts but there are other ways to mount a motor.

We just learned about the Lipo charger balancer from a local flyer who uses them exclusively with great success.
Mar 15, 2009, 10:06 AM
Crash happens! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
We just learned about the Lipo charger balancer from a local flyer who uses them exclusively with great success.

This must be the charger he is talking about:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...alance/Charger
Mar 15, 2009, 11:21 AM
A different attitude to RC
There is also this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Charger_2S-3S

These are available from different sources in different colors and brands including "esky".

The one in Arrow's post are good as they have a light for each cell, but that does not really matter although it is useful for telling the condition of each cell.

Both are good, the only problems I had were the LED(s) and also the connectors could need soldering after extensive use. I have used both extensively!