to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
No Guts, No Glory
VERY COOL!

Water flying has been talked about on KE forums for a while. Glad to see that it is going to be in G4.

G3.5 is amazing, I can't imagine how good G4 is going to be!
Oct 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
This looks much more like "eye candy" than the first shots on the KE forum. AA cranked up and probably shrinked with spline interpolation to make it look even smoother. Anyway, also the textures look better on these shots.

Indeed the new planes look very good. Obviously the polygon count was increased and the textures are much more detailed. I can't seem to detect bump mapping though, which is a little disappointing.

Also shadow casting looks still pretty unrealistic. Especially on the water, were G4 obviously casts two sharp drop shadows: one on the water surface and one on the ground. Or is one of them meant to be the reflection? Doesn't look like it though. Furthermore the palms on most of the pics don't cast shadows at all.

I also wonder if the photofields are more sophisticated now like the ones in Reflex. E.g. using alpha stencils for partly transparent stuff and polygon based collision surfaces to allow uneven ground.
Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; Oct 18, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Oct 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Do have have system specs yet?
I'll go look.
Oct 18, 2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
The next shot has anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering disabled. I've also reconfigured the shadows.
Oct 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
Pro Bro ozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Do have have system specs yet?
I'll go look.
REQUIRES:
Minimum Recommended System Requirements:
Some graphical features may be disabled Aerodynamic Calculations will still be high quality Windows* 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista®

Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
3 GB Hard Drive Space
3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full Windows DirectX® 9 compliant (Pixel Shader 1.4 support)

Optimal System Requirements:
For best graphical performance
Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with:
256 MB dedicated video memory
Pixel Shader 2.0 support
Multiplayer Requirements:
56.6 Kbps (or faster) modem or LAN connection
InterLink Elite Controller:
USB Port
Compatible FM or FM-selectable transmitter
(if using the interface mode)

Note: The connectors on the InterLink Elite cord and included adapters make the InterLink Elite compatible with the trainer jack on most Futaba® and all JR®, Spektrum and Tower Hobbies systems. Special adapter for use with most Airtronics®/Sanwa® and Hitec® is available separately

Tim
Oct 18, 2007, 07:56 PM
Inverted User
Looks awesome. Any word on what the rebate will be for G3.5 users yet?
-wrxsti02
Oct 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
Wow, that's no AA or AF in that pic?!
Wonder if it takes advantage of dual proc..

Looks sexy!
Oct 18, 2007, 09:24 PM
Jim, will it include any winch or hi-start launch methods for sailplanes? That's one area really lacking in G3.5, you gotta chuck a glider off a hill.

-Chris
Oct 18, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sweet! I just hope my comp will ba able to run it . I am also wondering if G3.5 owners will gat a discount....
Oct 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockflyer12345
Sweet! I just hope my comp will ba able to run it . I am also wondering if G3.5 owners will gat a discount....

That is what would be really cool. I would not mind paying for the upgrade-

But then again, its a new product...
Oct 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
Ship first, Improve often
as far as I'm conserned there is not enough there for a new product. It would have been a great update but not enough for a product. Heck what they show barely puts them evenly against some cheaper sims out there now. This is everyting the G3-G3.5 owners have been saying the sim has been desperately needing for some time and then they decide to charge us for it after all the pain we've gone thru with these updates. I'm done with realflight and I've been a fairly active member of the realflight community. They would have to practically give us G4 to make me happy for what I've paid and from what they did to the G2 customers I'm betting Great Planes screws us as well. Yeah I'm a bit angry if you can't tell from my post.
Oct 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
I think Microsoft should give me a free OS for the new cpu that someone else should be giving me for free.

Mike
Oct 19, 2007, 01:04 AM
#include <rcstuff.h>
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlyspud
I think Microsoft should give me a free OS for the new cpu that someone else should be giving me for free.

Mike
LOL! too funny...

I develop software for a living, and I can tell you that once we develop a new version, our existing users pay a set update fee which is not much less than the full price. We do however offer free updates for minor releases (i.e. between major versions, e.g. 4.0-4.1).

If we did not do this, we'd be out of business! I think KE/GP is being nice by giving us a rebate.

Looking forward to enjoying G4!

Cheers,

RH../

PS: The Ultra Sport 40 is there again...YES!
Last edited by Redherring; Oct 19, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
Oct 19, 2007, 01:10 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
This really looks like the Cryotech engine. Did they make their own engine? I'd assume licensing one.

Quick Reply