Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 06, 2002, 03:41 PM

Carbon Falcon, A Winner!

I just received my Carbon Falcon flying wing from Ken Hill at hardlock@acesim.com. Couldn't be happier. The plane is everything I hoped it would be. Assembly took about 15 minutes, The first flight was flawless with just a bit of trim and CG adjustment. It looks great in the air and is an easy flier. Most importantly, the plane is bullet proof. With the carbon fiber/ripstop nylon sail I could crash it into a brick wall and not do any damage. That's important to someone with my flying skills. The real bonus is that it takes two or three minutes to disassemble the plane into a 3x3 "tube". Perfect for anyone who wants a plane that can travel easily and set up fast for an impromtu flight in the motel parking lot. For those of us who fly whenever and wherever we can, this flying wing is the perfect answer. Check it out!

JT
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2002, 12:06 AM
Thanks John, almost missed your good words. Glad you are happy with it.

And no, I didn't put him up to it, didn't give him a free plane, and no John doesn't work for me. (although a PR position may be available in the future)

Oh, and if you don't know what a Carbon Falcon is, see the bottom of the page here:

http://www.acesim.com/rc/p2/p2.html

I've got some new crash and stunt videos I need to upload. Also if you are in the beta group of owners, this may be a good thread to discuss your experiences with your bird.

Ken
Dec 13, 2002, 02:59 PM

new mov clips added

Got the new clips posted. The stunt one shows a 3/4 loop to inverted then 1/2 roll to level plus another loop.

The other is real close in with a stall plus a failed loop into a good crash.
Jan 06, 2003, 01:08 PM
Quick update to all CF owners. Production beta test results are coming in and it appears that the GWS EPS-100C drive is working out great. I tried the "1" version with 9x7 w/7cell NiMHs yesterday and although duration is down from the DX-A, performance is great. Stunts are now easy instead of marginal and I found I could even climb some inverted! This puts the CF at a RTF weight of 10oz even up from 9 with 6 cells and the DX-A.

Mounting the drive was easy by just shimming the oversized hole with balsa pieces but be sure to mount it with the motor UP to keep the thrust line above the frame. It looks funny with the can on top but trim is now right on. With it down, I had to hold lots of down stick to keep it from pitching up under power. Some owners are going to use the M-100 motor and I'll report their results.

Oh yes and BTW, for all that inquired about the Warperons, I've added an animated GIF on the CF page showing full motion range of the wing warping in action.

We've had one incident reported of a crash literally into a brick wall. Damage resulted in two sheared nylon bolts. Repair time was only a few minutes.

BTW, I've been asked about replacement parts. Most of the hardware parts on the plane besides the fabric and tubing are available at your local ACE hardware store. Sails, wing left and right and center frames assemblies are available if needed complete.

Ken
Jan 06, 2003, 01:32 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
I got a chance to see one of these fly in Orlando. It's a great concept - even better It flies superbly.

You have a winner on your hands.

-Bill
Jan 06, 2003, 03:30 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Ok Ken,

I'm just going to have to do it. Get the EPS 100 I mean.

The CF is a great slow/park flyer with the IPS and I love how it flies. Mine has an AUW of 8.2 oz. with 280Nimh's but I fly mainly with 800's.

The smoothness of the controls just has to be seen to be believed. It is one of the best behaved planes I have ever flown. It basically flies like a smoother and more maneuverable Tiger Moth.

I rarely take it higher than 10', though I have specked it out somewhere around 300'+. Takes a long time to come down from there.

With the way it flies and it's indestructability I find myself doing things that I would never do with ANY other plane. Slalom among clumps of high weeds, grass cutting with the prop (literally), doing carrier landings into the back of my van (got 2" clearence on each wingtip) , seeing how low I can loop and split s, and all sorts of other things.

My worst crash has been from doing a split s too low. Popped the front wing tubes out and popped a rubberband on the wing tip. This was from a full power straight down dive into the dirt.

I'm going to have to try the EPS and see what that does.

Rob
Jan 06, 2003, 03:34 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Here's another shot.

Hey Ken, is that my plane on the website or did someone else get a Red/Purple one?
Jan 06, 2003, 08:05 PM
Hi Rob,

Yep, that's your pretty bird! You're going to love the 280 in it! It's an entirely different plane with it. I tried an 8 pack today and WOW, I can't believe I never tried that motor/pack combination before! Don't know about motor life but it didn't get hot and I ran it flat out most of the pack. RTF weight was at 10.5 ozs. I had some wind today and could go straight up into it with the nose at a 50 deg angle! Not afraid to stunt and fly low inverted now either since there is plenty of power to climb out of it.

Best of all, I can finally do a decent roll! If I ever get caught up on orders I want to try a beefer semi-symmetrical double surfaced model for S400s.

Oh BTW, I tried your catch-and-go stunt. Liked it so much that it will be the only way I'll launch it from now on. Kind of like a back-hand discus throw with power. Was easier than I thought and prevents those "opps, I forget to connect the motor" mishaps since I never used to add power to my pushers until they are well away from my hand. I know, always do a preflight run-up...
Jan 06, 2003, 08:24 PM
Hey Ken, when do I send the money? Rob is killing me with this thing. BTW when it is ready I want the new power system Can't let Rob have all the fun!
Has Rob told you of his new sport of "hanger landing" in his mini-van?
We have started planning whole bag full of "stupid tricks" to do as a team.
Chuck
Jan 06, 2003, 08:47 PM
BEC
BEC
Ken,

Just sent you an e-mail. I want one!!

How about an E ratio hybrid and two Kokam 1020s (same system I'm flying my Tiny-X on).......?
Jan 06, 2003, 09:44 PM

Mine's Ordered!

WooHoo!!!!!
Jan 06, 2003, 10:08 PM
Chuck, Just got my parts for the second run in. You're coming up soon and will let you know the link where to pay online once ready to ship.

BEC, You're in this batch also. That should be a good system for it.

BTW, with so many good motor system suppliers around, I don't sell any motors or batterys. Figure most have stuff to use already once they crashed their Pico stick once too many times.

Here's the link is to the on-line owners manual for the Carbon Falcon. You'll get a hard copy in the box also but it's only B&W and the pics are a lot smaller than on your screen.

http://www.acesim.com/temp/falcon-inst.pdf

(Shhhhh...don't tell anyone, it's normally only available to owners, but this will give you something to do till I get yours built. )
Jan 07, 2003, 12:45 AM
Ken,
Congrats on the liftoff of your Carbon Falcon! It's a very interesting wing. Can you inform us on the sound and/or the level of noise on the production series? I'd love to know if this thing fits in the "low noise, slow flying backyard" catagory.
HB
Jan 07, 2003, 06:28 AM
Hoosier Hobby Hangar
Ken, Sent you an email. I want one too . Great idea, it looks as if it will be a great plane to take on all of my soon to come travels.
BEC, I am with you on the setup. It should be a great platform for it.
Kevin P
Jan 07, 2003, 07:02 AM

You got to love it once you get it!!!

I got mine on 01/03 and have 39 flights so far. Kin put together a great bird no questions in the quality at any level! I love the way it flys and SOARS. It has great manners in the air and some nice ways of pulling off even turns that looks so gracefull, dont foget to fly it and not just watching it. It will fly in decent wind condision for a park flyer type speed if it doesn't the ground wont fight back to bad with this bird! In short I LOVE TO FLY THIS BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came in one time to hard on a dive, trying a big loope, it hit hard flipped on its back and did the twitch until i got to it. The chip flew out, even tape didn't hold it on that smash, and some of the wing supports MOVED. Time to get it back up about a five minute walk to the barn to steel the channel from my slow stick .

The secound smash came from a fly by and a hurry up turn to get away from my plane eating mutt. It was coming in high to a hard right turn that dropped it down to about two feet off the skid deck. The mutt chased it, I took my hand off to hit his plane training collar, and when I look back at the falcon a corn stalk had jumped up to grab it. This a did a real nice job of doing a pizza spin to it, so that when it hit the spin got 2 cart wheels out of it. Pushed the wing supports back in moved the battery back to CG and she was ready.

I'M on the road this week and the hotel said I can fly in there yard, a BIG open field , got in to late last night but under there lights this morning I had a ball.

Well THANK YOU KIN! I have a bird to take on the road and if i can find the right LHS in the yellow pages to get this new motor I will have a screaming Eagle .

By the way to those who read this, when you go into your LHS and find something gone you have been scoping out for a while it was me on my visit . Sorry kind of, my LHS is great and still get most from them espsialy the help they offer. Muncie model.com new sight but tons more in the store than on line yet.