Oct 21, 2007, 06:19 PM
Grab the lower fuselage at the intake....and toss about 30 degrees nose up. I speak from experence..you will like this plane.. and don't use too much expo on the ailerons..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2007, 11:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rys
Grab the lower fuselage at the intake....and toss about 30 degrees nose up.
Another safe way to launch this kind of plane is to hold it by the tail between the tailerons and point it more or less straight up. Depending on the weight of your plane it might need some reinforcement between the vertical stabilizers.
Oct 22, 2007, 08:32 AM
Kiss the Sky
[QUOTE=RobinBennett]I scaled it up for a 8" prop and came to 35" span, which seemed fine until I printed the plan and realised that it would be 50" long!

Wow Robin, they must be big depron elves to build that over night!!(private joke) Looking good-!! I will be looking forward to your maidening that one Sunday soon-What motor are you going to use?
Oct 22, 2007, 10:56 AM
Retired CAD guy
I launch my Harpy and my (tomhe) F-22 my just holding the Tx
in my Left hand and CHucking it then hitting the throttle.

Practice bringing your Chucking arm/hand to the TX in a "follow thru" !
Oct 22, 2007, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I launch my Harpy and my (tomhe) F-22 my just holding the Tx
in my Left hand and CHucking it then hitting the throttle.

Practice bringing your Chucking arm/hand to the TX in a "follow thru" !
These (foamy) critters are so light that I wonder if a clay-target launcher could be modified for use as a catapult.

Another alternative: The military launcher user for WWII anti-aircraft gunners' training.

http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...rylauncher.htm

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; Oct 22, 2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added WWII military launcher
Oct 22, 2007, 02:34 PM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
Underhand from the canopy....
Oct 22, 2007, 03:37 PM
Sussex, UK
Quote:
Underhand from the canopy....
I'm certainly hoping to keep it light enough to do that, as that's what I'm used to doing with 3D planes. However I'm aware that it may work out heavier and need a proper throw.

Quote:
What motor are you going to use?
The bell motor from my Zagnutz; 250W with an 8x6 and one of the old 3s2100 batteries from my heli. It's enough to send the Zagnutz vertical, so I hope it'll do the same here.

Has anyone got links to some good hi-vis colour schemes?
Oct 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhe
Another safe way to launch this kind of plane is to hold it by the tail between the tailerons and point it more or less straight up.
Here's how I do it on my Su-27:

Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker (7 min 3 sec)
Oct 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
try this ..

http://br.geocities.com/alvmaia/Mig/
Oct 22, 2007, 04:53 PM
Sussex, UK
I'm not sure that would work when the whole trailing edge is elevons.

If you've got that much power you would probably find it easier to hold the top of the fuselage (at the CG), like sonofagun suggested.
Oct 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
J. Titors gr8 grandson...
Hey Tomhe, nice video..
Oct 22, 2007, 08:30 PM
No Guts, No Glory
VERY COOL!!!

I have always wanted something like the Ikarus shockie, but would much rather biuld my own. Great video also-

I have a Tp 3s 2100 lipo and Hs-55 servos, do you think there would be a good United Hobbies combo motor/esc that would work? They are great for the price, that why I am asking.

I really like this model
Oct 23, 2007, 05:35 AM
Sussex, UK
I'm planning to use one of these:
$18.75 TowerPro BM2409-12T / 25A BEC/ 9x6 Prop Combo
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4708

At the moment it's in a 40" flying wing, with the same size battery as you plan to use. It'll accelerate vertically and comes down cold. I didn't like the prop that came with the combo, and use a GWS DD 8x6.
As I said above, it pulls 25A static, right at the limit of the ESC, so I don't know what the standard prop would do.

There may well be a better motor, I've only tried a couple of them.

EDIT; I just found this great colour scheme - has anyone seen a photo that's more suitable for copying?

Last edited by RobinBennett; Oct 23, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
Oct 23, 2007, 06:18 AM
Thread OP

Suggestions for improvements?

A question to all of you that have glued this plane together:

Do you have any suggestions for improvements on how the parts are cut and fit together, or other types of improvements?
Oct 23, 2007, 06:33 AM
Sussex, UK
Personally, I hat cutting notches and tabs, so left those out. As it happens I wished I'd left them in for the engine sides, as they would have helped hold it together while the curve dried.

I'm going to beef up the sides around the prop-slot, as this is usually the weak point on mid engine models - although with the spar running along the rear of the slot, it may be OK.

Maybe you could a template to hold the fins at the right angle while they dry?

Also, I just realised that the photos I posted are from the Mig29 OVT, which is the one with 2D thrust vectoring. If you look closely there's a slight step in the horizontal stabilizer.

Quick Reply