This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 13, 2007, 01:53 AM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

One final Wikipedia gripe

UPDATE BELOW! Too funny. Do read on.

I promise: No more after this. You can call me on it if I do, OK? I'm only ranting since it's somewhat relevant to the hobby of R/C.

So here I was, giving my one more try, um, one more try. Frankly, I'm fresh out of ideas for new content and playing "whack-a-mole" with vandals, spammers and the generally clueless gets tiring.

I'd seen a newspaper article not long ago on a historic toy store-cum-hobby shop here in the Palm Springs area. The Palm Springs Historical Society was actually giving out authentic samples of the store's very distinctive wrapping paper which they'd acquired from the original owner of the store.

I found the article archived online. The notability factor sure looked like it met standards. Thought it might link nicely to the Riverside County category.

No sooner had I finished the article than WHAM! An editor whacked it with a deletion proposal tag.

I saw red. Big time. In fact, I had the closest thing to a cyber-hissy fit one can have. I'll leave out the details.

To make a long story even longer, the subsequent deletion discussion is now roughly three times the length of the original article which took less than ten minutes to bang out in the first place.

Has any good come out of all this, you might ask? Yes and no.

The no: I just stressed out over a little "stub article" that wouldn't pass muster in an eighth-grade composition class, it was so short. This blog entry is bigger.

The yes: Contributing here at rcgroups as a new author means I should soon get to play with really nice stuff and then write really nice articles in a really nice and fun style, free from the forced neutral tone of Wikipedia.

I may be contributing to a national publication soon. This means more really nice stuff and a little bit of really nice money if it goes down, which it likely will.

So what am I going to do next?

I'm going to Disneyland!

Talk to you all real soon. I'll say hi to Mickey.

UPDATE:

Didn't go see Mickey this weekend. Definitely going next weekend.

But I digress.

The discussion on the Wikipedia article I did is now roughly four times the length of the article and it now has other editors fighting amongst themselves!

I am SO done. This was the final straw. In a way, I'm glad to see this kind of pure idiocy. It sure opened my eyes.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Oct 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply